2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Got round to the new Soulwax album today.  Well that was a damp squib and a half!  If that's where they're at right now, I'm not going to make much of an effort to see them.

I found it to be fairly typical of Soulwax albums to be fair, I always find the Night Versions element always gives me a false expectation of what they're going to be putting out as Soulwax - needless to say, the live show is still very Night Versions heavy and would imagine the new album will get the treatment too.

I'm coming at you with another Declan Mckenna update. Contactually oblidged to bang the drum for him.

His debut album has finally been given a release date (and is available to pre-order now) - its not out until bloody July though, what a let down - apparently due to a new guy in charge at the record label at Sony.

Not sure what this means for his Glasto slot - might be playing lower than first thought.

Here's an article on the beeb today about/with him http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39526472 (amazingly the first thing they do is get his age wrong)

Looks like he is going to get ample media coverage in the coming months.

Edited by mjsell

26 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I'm coming at you with another Declan Mckenna update. Contactually oblidged to bang the drum for him.

His debut album has finally been given a release date (and is available to pre-order now) - its not out until bloody July though, what a let down - apparently due to a new guy in charge at the record label at Sony.

Not sure what this means for his Glasto slot - might be playing lower than first thought.

Here's an article on the beeb today about/with him http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39526472 (amazingly the first thing they do is get his age wrong)

Looks like he is going to get ample media coverage in the coming months.

He's pretty good & I'm glad Brazil has made it on to the album. Also, he does it in a fuckin horrible way, but I like that he's so politically active/aware on twitter, especially for a 17(?) year-old. Can only be a good thing. 

24 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

He's pretty good & I'm glad Brazil has made it on to the album. Also, he does it in a fuckin horrible way, but I like that he's so politically active/aware on twitter, especially for a 17(?) year-old. Can only be a good thing. 

Turned 18 in December. He even answers one of the questions with "now I'm 18", and they still started the article with "Seventeen-year-old Declan Mckenna", fantastic journalism.

Knowing him pretty well, when he says " I'm not by any means the most articulate or intelligent young person I know" - he's telling the truth. But yeah the fact he is wants to approach subjects from his age groups perspective is only a good thing.

Edited by mjsell

21 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Hot on the heels of that excellent single he released (and me getting tickets to see him this morning :D) Mac DeMarco's new album is out there, so looking forward to giving that a listen.

I'm guessing this is for the Manc gig? Really tempted to go after I missed out on him in some awful clash on the Sunday last year. Holding out for a Bristol date at the minute but I may fold, do you think it will sell out?

2 hours ago, Jobseeker said:

I'm guessing this is for the Manc gig? Really tempted to go after I missed out on him in some awful clash on the Sunday last year. Holding out for a Bristol date at the minute but I may fold, do you think it will sell out?

Liverpool here! And I'm really not sure how fast these will sell (which is why I got em straight away just in case).

10 hours ago, MattDavies__ said:

Only had it on in the background this morning but it's sounding stunning 

Gave it a couple of listens today and I'm really digging it. Some truly fantastic songs on there. Just need Ride to deliver with their album now and we can crown the shoegaze revival a real success.

6 hours ago, Ollie9917 said:

An EP from The Chemical Brothers

I think I've read something about them at glasto but can't remember can anyone confirm??

They won't be at Glasto. Emily went to see them not long back and a few people began to speculate that they might be there. But they played 2 years ago and definitely won't be back so soon.