2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

Nothing to do with new music and a bit naughty of me but ...

Could any of you London types PM me about stuff to do near London Bridge. My sister has paid for us to stay in the Tower Hotel right next to the Bridge this coming Sat night and also paid the rail fare (Birthday), arrive Midday Sat, leave Sunday afternoon. Anyone who knows places I really should visit ? I'm all up for record shops, art galleries, museums, places to eat, whatever. Any recommendations would be appreciated.. Ta.

Erm, yeah. New music..

31 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Nothing to do with new music and a bit naughty of me but ...

Could any of you London types PM me about stuff to do near London Bridge. My sister has paid for us to stay in the Tower Hotel right next to the Bridge this coming Sat night and also paid the rail fare (Birthday), arrive Midday Sat, leave Sunday afternoon. Anyone who knows places I really should visit ? I'm all up for record shops, art galleries, museums, places to eat, whatever. Any recommendations would be appreciated.. Ta.

Erm, yeah. New music..

Day trip? :P

Capture.PNG.7b6997771c45178eb70393982554e58b.PNG

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I reckon he's started picking up the NME now it's free, they've brought him around to their way of thinking. Awkward, overly enthusiastic, out of the blue, tokenistic grime obsession to follow.

Blud I was bumping Channel U when you were... whatever you were doing at the same age as I was.

I'm worried about that Wolf Alice shout now tho. It's not unrealistic. Eep.

27 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

First The 1975, now alt-J, next it'll be Wolf Alice being acclaimed by dental...

Tbf unlike The 1975 I hadn't actually listened to their albums before a couple of weeks ago so I was always somewhat muted in my dissent of them. I found that Taro is nifty and the one that sounds like it could be sat on an Arab Strap instrumental is cool too and that's it really; the second album is entirely negligible.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Tbf unlike The 1975 I hadn't actually listened to their albums before a couple of weeks ago so I was always somewhat muted in my dissent of them. I found that Taro is nifty and the one that sounds like it could be sat on an Arab Strap instrumental is cool too and that's it really; the second album is entirely negligible.

I'm not a huge fan of either album tbh, both have some really great moments but on the whole i find them a bit boring, I think I might prefer the second album though. Them and Foo's is an awkward clash for me, I quite like both but hardly a big fan of either so if anything exciting was up against them I'd happily miss them but neither Warpaint or The Jacksons appeal to me, holding out for a strong Saturday John Peel again.

I've done a bit of a 180 on those gorillaz tracks. Think they are not that bad now. I am a bit of a sucker for them though, don't know what it is but never seem to be able to dislike anything they do. 

New alt-j is not too shabby either. Who'd have thunk it. 

Wow, alt-J have really given their whole act a kick up the arse for this new stuff. I always liked them really but this is another level. Those moaning about them being boring or MOR or whatever are going to struggle to keep saying that when they're putting out stuff as weird was 'In Cold Blood'.

40 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Wow, alt-J have really given their whole act a kick up the arse for this new stuff. I always liked them really but this is another level. Those moaning about them being boring or MOR or whatever are going to struggle to keep saying that when they're putting out stuff as weird was 'In Cold Blood'.

15 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Dylans Triplicate is absolutely beautiful stuff. When I heard he was doing another standards album I wasn't up for it but fuck me, hes pulled it off. 

What a band he has.

Ah, interesting. I was going to steer well clear of it, but if you rate it, I'll maybe give it a quick go 

32 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Ah, interesting. I was going to steer well clear of it, but if you rate it, I'll maybe give it a quick go 

I really liked the first album he did but thought this was too much but really liking it. 

Really good interview with him this week. Posted on his website. 

On Sinatra: “I think he knew ‘The Times They Are a-Changin’ and ‘Blowin’ in the Wind.’ I know he liked ‘Forever Young,’ he told me that. He was funny, we were standing out on his patio at night and he said to me, ‘You and me, pal, we got blue eyes, we’re from up there,’ and he pointed to the stars. ‘These other bums are from down here.’ I remember thinking that he might be right.”