2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

On Fri Feb 10 2017 at 3:09 PM, scrippit said:

Saw Cabbage with 150 peeps at the Hare and Hounds in Birmingham last night and was absolutely blown away by their energy and the quality of their set. I think they are rumoured and they are a must see imo.

Shout out too for the Shimmer Band supporting who also put in an entertaining hour of psychedelia.

I've accidently seen cabbage 5 times in the last year and they keep getting better, saw them in Manchester the other night and they seemed to have dropped all the gimmicks and stuff (an onstage gimp, adult baby and the like) and just blast through the songs now, they've gotta be there this year the way they're going. 

*cough* this came out last year ... I was reminded of the genius of Boyfrndz when doing the usual SXSW band listen through.  So I'm sharing this anyway as it may introduce them to some people that haven't heard them.  Kind of The Mars Volta-ish post-rock stuff.  Lovely. (fingers crossed for European tour + festival dates...)

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

I've accidently seen cabbage 5 times in the last year and they keep getting better, saw them in Manchester the other night and they seemed to have dropped all the gimmicks and stuff (an onstage gimp, adult baby and the like) and just blast through the songs now, they've gotta be there this year the way they're going. 

I missed out on the adult baby and the gimp but we did get a bloke who kept getting on stage who was the spitting image of circa mid '90s Liam Gallagher. No explanation was given.

One of the band crowd surfed on a couple of occasions which was an accomplishment given there were only around 150 people and most were not involved in holding him up. He crashed to ground twice. That boy's gonna hurt himself.

I liked them so much I bought a T Shirt. It simply says: Cock Piss Cabbage. Strangely, I haven't worn it yet.

6 minutes ago, scrippit said:

I missed out on the adult baby and the gimp but we did get a bloke who kept getting on stage who was the spitting image of circa mid '90s Liam Gallagher. No explanation was given.

One of the band crowd surfed on a couple of occasions which was an accomplishment given there were only around 150 people and most were not involved in holding him up. He crashed to ground twice. That boy's gonna hurt himself.

I liked them so much I bought a T Shirt. It simply says: Cock Piss Cabbage. Strangely, I haven't worn it yet.

If you want to wear it in public I suggest drawing over the letters to change the "cock" into "cook" and "piss" into "pass" so it reads "Cook Pass Cabbage". 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I heard Liam fray singing cabbage's praises. That - along with their name - made me decide they weren't for me. Very shallow I know. Am I wrong? Are they any good?

They don't sound like Courteeners or Blossoms or owt but have been adopted by that fanbase for geographical reasons.

Not as bad as that suggests either - sound a bit like Public Image. Name is awful though.

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Yeah I need to stop making snap judgements on names. Took me ages to listen to car seat headrest. I just haven't the time to listen to everything new and always wanna give something a few goes so something has to give. 

I'm not singing their praises, I've only heard three songs and the first one I thought was awful - something about a w*nking dinnerlady - but they're probably gonna get a lot of stick for being in that posse of Manchester bands and it might not be all warranted.

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I heard Liam fray singing cabbage's praises. That - along with their name - made me decide they weren't for me. Very shallow I know. Am I wrong? Are they any good?

Err well I like them ahah, yeah you're wrong dismiss them from those things and they're decent enough, I never know with this forum though. 

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

...and that would be a perfectly sensible decision normally.

However I saw them on a miserable Thursday night and they were a real surprise. Fresh, anarchic, loud, pretty tight and most of all entertaining in an old fashioned '70s punk kind of way.

6 hours ago, PorkSoda said:

New Ed Sheeran song. In case anyone was wondering it's trash

Listening to new releases on Spotify and this started playing. What dross. It sounds like a bad children's movie sound track.

The same setlist had the new Linkin Park track which maybe worse. Angry 14 year old me would be even angrier if they had jumped straight from Hybrid Theory to that poppy dishwater.  

8 hours ago, st dan said:

Very much enjoying the new Orwells album. Seems like they've matured a lot with this album. 

Yep, quality little record. Didn't realise it was out today until I saw you mention it and now I've listened to it a bunch of times already. Definite Pixies/college rock vibe - even if it wasn't obvious with the Black Francis tribute :P - but yea, matured a lot and haven't lost any of their edge for it either.