Laura Marling

the wonderwhy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her rise to the top is such a romantic story of triumph over adversity that it brings a tear to the eye and warmth to the heart. It is almost unbelievable that someone from her background can somehow, through sheer determination, grit and talent, against all the odds, forge a career in the music business. God bless you Laura, and the hope you've brought to millions.

"The youngest of three daughters, Marling was born in Berkshire, England, and learned guitar at an early age. Her father, Sir Charles William Somerset Marling, the 5th Marling Baronet, ran a recording studio, introduced her to folk music and shaped her musical taste, an experience that Marling later described as, "a bit of a blessing and a bit of a curse."

36 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

If only she'd had the hardships and terrible upbringings of your heroes Radiohea, eh?

Indeed. I can only imagine how difficult it was for Thoms nuclear physicist father to put him and his brother through a very expensive private school where Thom and the boys had unlimited free access to a fully furnished music department. Housed in its own building.  

Aldro----------south-east-tatler-28sep15

In front of a tiny crowd?

I doubt she would want to play on the Pyramid again? Fairly flat the last time. 

Edited by The Nal

29 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Indeed. I can only imagine how difficult it was for Thoms nuclear physicist father to put him and his brother through a very expensive private school where Thom and the boys had unlimited free access to a fully furnished music department. Housed in its own building.  

I doubt she would want to play on the Pyramid again? Fairly flat the last time. 

My inner-city comprehensive school had a music department that I had free access to. It was also in its own building.

Did you have to pay to use yours then? How unusual.

3 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

The only artist I saw at The Park this year was Ronnie Spector who had a very fun crowd of all ages, we stayed and watched a bit of Savages as well who were good, are the crowds usually much worse than that then?

It can get big crowds during the day, but I dunno if I've ever heard of it being mobbed last thing.

Ronnie Spector was GREAT.  The only way it could have been better was if she'd done Sleigh Ride.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

It can get big crowds during the day, but I dunno if I've ever heard of it being mobbed last thing.

Ronnie Spector was GREAT.  The only way it could have been better was if she'd done Sleigh Ride.

Ah that's a shame, I guess you're not going to get everybody out to see some of the smaller acts who tour loads, Ezra Furman fans are likely to see him at his own tour/ another festival I guess.

And I agree! One of the best performances I've ever seen, the sunshine, her voice, the guests, the backing singers, the setlist and her band were all just bliss, I'll never forget singing along to Be My Baby for as long as I live. Ronnie is such a legend.

Back to Laura Marling, I loved Once I Was An Eagle and thought Short Movie was decent when it came out but I realise I dropped it after only a couple of months. I'm still excited to hear some new stuff though, she'd be wonderful on The Park.

45 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'll rephrase that - fascinated as to whether a Park headliner has ever had a larger than middling-sized crowd.

Its a bit miserable up there at night. Very aware that its the far corner of the festival and its usually cold, damp and dark.

I seem to remember someone telling me Bon Iver was rammed. Full of people weeping into their pulled pork baps when he played Skinny Love. 

Hes like Dido for blokes. 

Edited by The Nal

park headliners dont get big crowds i guess just because there is SO much competition at peak headline time. you can have big guitar bands on 4 other stages simultaneously. plus all the dance stages and people getting a headstart on the SE corner.

I dont really care how many are watching as long as i have a great time :lol:

i've seen metronomy headline (fun, quite busy) and Ryan Adams headline (amazing, cosy but not rammed) 

but it always makes for a great setting for the right act, of which marling would be one. sunday night would be great. only other stage i could see her playing is john peel really as she wouldn't get higher than about 3rd on the other and it just wouldnt suit at all.

Edited by Memory Man