Best line-up of the 2010s?

VCK

I'd say 2010, in terms of both strength and the amount of bands I personally like. None of the three days on the Main Stage were weak, and all three saw a mix of new-ish acts that were big at the time and deserved their place on the Main Stage, as well as older, more established bands. No-one looked out of place in their slots. Arcade Fire, The Libertines, QOTSA, Weezer, Foals and The Gaslight Anthem would make any festival look great.

2010 > 2011 > 2015 > 2012 > 2013 > 2016 >>>>>>>>>>>>> 2014, in that order.

1 minute ago, VCK said:

I'd say 2010, in terms of both strength and the amount of bands I personally like. None of the three days on the Main Stage were weak, and all three saw a mix of new-ish acts that were big at the time and deserved their place on the Main Stage, as well as older, more established bands. No-one looked out of place in their slots. Arcade Fire, The Libertines, QOTSA, Weezer, Foals and The Gaslight Anthem would make any festival look great.

2010 > 2011 > 2015 > 2012 > 2013 > 2016 >>>>>>>>>>>>> 2014, in that order.

what was so bad about 2014 out of interest?

haven't been since 2010 but i thought that one was amazing yeah. the run of Limp Bizkit > Cypress Hill > Weezer > Paramore (maybe not so much as they were pretty awful) > Blink blew my mind that year

It'll take a while for me to decide I on a strongest year I think, but I just glanced through 2014's lineup and wow... I don't remember the Saturday aligning with my tastes so much: Arctic Monkeys, The Hives, Foster The People, Cage The Elephant, Wolf Alice, Royal Blood, Architects, Marmozets, Don Broco, Die Antwoord, Lower Than Atlantis, CHVRCHES, Basement, Boregore, Nero, Jacob Plant, MØ, Hozier.

Edited by JSmurphy

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

what was so bad about 2014 out of interest?

haven't been since 2010 but i thought that one was amazing yeah. the run of Limp Bizkit > Cypress Hill > Weezer > Paramore (maybe not so much as they were pretty awful) > Blink blew my mind that year

There was just nothing exciting about it. QOTSA finally headlining was great and fully deserved, and I suppose Macklemore was unexpected, but the rest of the line-up was just Reading and Leeds by numbers.

Unpopular opinion around here but I loved the 2014 line up. Probably my favourite line up. Was in the arena from the start of the day until it closed and had a great time :D 
Also that run off Baby Godzilla -> Neck Deep -> ADTR -> The Wonder Years -> Every Time I Die -> Blink was incredible for me! Would probably say 2015 next. Saw some greats acts; Kendrick Lamar, Gaslight Anthem, Refused, American Football, Metallica, FIDLAR and Foals. 

2014 > 2015 > 2010 > 2013 > 2011 > 2016 > 2012

Edited by justanothername

2010 > 2013 > 2012 > 2014 > 2016 > 2011 > 2015

2010 has ridiculously good runs:

Friday: Billy Talent - Two Door Cinema Club - NOFX - Lostprophets - Biffy Clyro - Queens of the Stone Age - Phoenix - LCD Soundsystem

Saturday: The Gaslight Anthem, Modest Mouse, The Maccabees, Frank Turner - Serj Tanken - Crystal Castles - Enter Shikari - Pendulum 

Sunday: You Me At Six - Limp Bizkit - Cypress Hill - Weezer - Paramore - Klaxons

10 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

2010 > 2013 > 2012 > 2014 > 2016 > 2011 > 2015

2010 has ridiculously good runs:

Friday: Billy Talent - Two Door Cinema Club - NOFX - Lostprophets - Biffy Clyro - Queens of the Stone Age - Phoenix - LCD Soundsystem

Saturday: The Gaslight Anthem, Modest Mouse, The Maccabees, Frank Turner - Serj Tanken - Crystal Castles - Enter Shikari - Pendulum 

Sunday: You Me At Six - Limp Bizkit - Cypress Hill - Weezer - Paramore - Klaxons

The only downside to that year was Paramore for some reason getting a short sub slot and for probably the only time I know at Leeds, the main stage suffering sound issue's, it wasn't that they were actually bad. 2012 was much better due to no issue's. But yes great runs and the comeback of Blink and The Libs in the same year and GNR playing. I nearly stopped and bowed out then but Pulp and OOS in full from Muse pulled me.

2011 was the best year for me but that's probably helped by the fact it was my first festival, Muse being my favourite band and the Friday being a great lineup.

After that I'd say 2012 had the strongest main stage for the whole weekend, 2013 had the strongest set of headliners and 2015 had the best under card. 

2011 > 2012 > 2013 > 2015 > 2014 > 2016

• 1 month later...

2010 just for The Futureheads > Mystery Jets, Enter Shikari > Pendulum, Sub Focus > Magnetic Man > Blink 182. GnR were rubbish so found myself enjoying LCD Soundsystem.

Good camp that year too.

Edit: crowd for Dizzee Rascal was huge & the OH didn't get a ticket.

Edited by Bisque

6 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Made a Clashfinder for 2008. A stunningly strong year. 

http:///s/readingfestival2008

and yes, I really don't have anything better to do.

Friday

Blood Red Shoes > Dizzee Rascal > Florence & the Machine > Biffy Clyro > The Enemy > MGMT > Vampire Weekend > Rage Against The Machine

Saturday

Bombay Bicycle Club > The Subways > Mystery Jets > The Ting Tings > Seasick Steve > Foals > Bloc Party > The Killers

Sunday

Plain White T's > Dropkick Murphys > Lethal Bizzle > Crystal Castles > Cage The Elephant > Tenacious D > Metallica

Yep, very strong indeed

Anti-Flag > Dizzee Rascal > Serj Tanken > Biffy Clyro > Goldfinger > Queens of the Stone Age > Rage Against The Machine

Bombay Bicycle Club > Kids In Glass Houses > British Sea Power > Mystery Jets > Los Campesinos! > Editors > Foals > Bloc Party > The Killers 

Alexisonfire > Dropkick Murphys > Avenged Sevenfold > Feeder > Pendulum > Tenacious D > Metallica

mfw born five years too late 

Edited by JSmurphy

That 2008 line-up is rubbish, especially compared to other festivals at that time. Although it did have Los Campesinos!, Emmy The Great, Lightspeed Champion, Alexisonfire, British Sea Power at their peak and Foals + Bloc Party when they were good going for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...