The Pixies..surely!!

Lynsey Cox

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24/11/2016 at 9:58 AM, Trout Mask Replica said:

Pyramid sub for Radiohead would be immense.

Isn't Thom a massive Pixies fan? Either way I don't see them playing Glastonbury again so soon after the last time. As @FloorFiller I too missed them which was a bit of a cock up, think he clashed with a very pissed and disappointing Jack white iirc?

Edit: I should read all posts before posting, nearly every post has been about the clashes on the day!

Missed the Manics too sadly.

Edited by ericlered

I'm a huge fan of the Pixies- seen them 4 or 5 times over the years but last time was 1st time I'd seen them since Kim Deal left and have to admit didn't enjoy the gig that much.  Definitely lost something since she left- maybe the friction between her and Black Francis made them better?

That said if they were playing I would probably go and see them

34 minutes ago, dondo said:

I'm a huge fan of the Pixies- seen them 4 or 5 times over the years but last time was 1st time I'd seen them since Kim Deal left and have to admit didn't enjoy the gig that much.  Definitely lost something since she left- maybe the friction between her and Black Francis made them better?

That said if they were playing I would probably go and see them

I'd heard a lot that they weren't very good live on the last tour she was part of, and that they have been much better since replacement bassists have come along, so I thought it might have been the opposite and the friction was bringing them down. No idea really as it's obviously pretty subjective seeing as you don't agree. I found that the Glastonbury show was prettay good but their own show the winter before that was outstanding and obviously bigger reaction to the deep cuts.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Only seen them once as far as I remember at this thing....

I was also at Reading 1990 when they headlined but I have no memory of them there at all.

reading-1990-advert-2.jpg

I was there !

I remember Pixies were not that good .  They played too much of their sci fi  looking for aliens and area 51 stuff and never seemed to get ballsy with the old Surfa Rosa  & Doolittle.

The stage set was just a lot of white curtains,

I remember fuck all of the line up .  I love The Fall but as usual they were lost on most people and love Martin Stephenson and The Daintees so I would have gone to see them but can't remember much else . 

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I was also at Reading 1990 when they headlined but I have no memory of them there at all.

I was at both of those too. The sound at Reading was too quiet for the Pixies. Do you remember the Inspiral Carpets set? At one point a pantomime cow came on, one half of which was occupied by their then roadie, Noel Gallagher.

The Crystal Palace show was memorable for having no alcohol on sale:( 

16 minutes ago, play it cool said:

I was at both of those too. The sound at Reading was too quiet for the Pixies. Do you remember the Inspiral Carpets set? At one point a pantomime cow came on, one half of which was occupied by their then roadie, Noel Gallagher.

The Crystal Palace show was memorable for having no alcohol on sale:( 

I remember the Inspiral Carpets set for the plethora of drummers. The thing I remember most is Jane's Addiction not turning up. Bastards.

At Crystal Palace I had a pass that got us into a backstage area where they did sell alcohol so we were very smug. My mate was going out with the sister of the singer from The Boo Radleys, we also got to watch from the side of the pond. Oh the lavish lifestyle I lead. 

1 hour ago, ivan said:

I was there !

I remember Pixies were not that good .  They played too much of their sci fi  looking for aliens and area 51 stuff and never seemed to get ballsy with the old Surfa Rosa  & Doolittle.

The stage set was just a lot of white curtains,

I remember fuck all of the line up .  I love The Fall but as usual they were lost on most people and love Martin Stephenson and The Daintees so I would have gone to see them but can't remember much else . 

I don't know if it's the same now but the trouble with Reading was it was too easy to go into town and spend the day in a pub.

4 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I was at Reading 90 but spent most of my time in the Mean Fiddler tent. Band of Holy Joy were astonishing on that Sunday.

also, i remember the Wedding Present came out and started their set with a cover of the Cheers theme tune. Don't ever let anybody tell you things were better in the good old days.

Edited by Mardy

17 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I don't know if it's the same now but the trouble with Reading was it was too easy to go into town and spend the day in a pub.

Coming from Yorkshire we could not resist a trip to the capital and went drinking in London on the Saturday morning. 

Its funny but at that  time you never thought you were missing anything , I would not leave a festival site now tho.

I think plenty of people leave Reading Festival site these days and nip into town to watch the Footy in the local pubs

Edited by ivan