1st acts announced for 2017

5co77ie

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

I agree.  

But I think I may miss this one as we have found an overseas holiday shaped hole in the family diary that simply can't be missed.

It will be a disappointment not to meet up this year Ian as, unless I'm lucky in the resales, I won't be doing Glastonbury.  However I do understand family holidays (I assume in the sun) have an attraction.

Our gang are also doing Steelhouse in Ebbw Vale at the end of July and Green Man in August, so there could still be a meet.

2 hours ago, Christian_chambers said:

What is steel house like? Think Thunder played there last year or a couple of years ago, is it as kid friends wychwood?

It is distinctly heavy metai.  Lots of people with beards and tattoos (men and women).  There were some kids there but no activities or special facilities for kids. Wychwood really is kid friendly and a great festival to introduce them to what would feel like a safe environment where they have lots of activities from making to story telling all properly organised for children.

• 3 weeks later...

errrm, I'm really not sure about that... and perhaps that's the problem. There's very little I've heard of, I'm just talking about the strength of the main acts each day.

The £140 weekend ticket or £47, £61, £51 for fri, sat , sun respectively is outrageous, it really is.

There will always be a loyal crowd bringing in the deckchairs each day, but I can't see how it'll attract newbies, in this very competitive market. Lakefest, for one, appearing nearby and providing alot more for alot less in a family friendly environment is sure to make another dent in ticket sales. 

5 minutes ago, man next door said:

errrm, I'm really not sure about that... and perhaps that's the problem. There's very little I've heard of, I'm just talking about the strength of the main acts each day.

in the acts announced today, there's Let's Eat Grandma and Flamingods and perhaps more (I forget without looking back) of reasonably popular newer acts, a bit more in the 'today' groove than I was thinking they'd had in recent years.

If they mean little or nothing to you, the problem is as much your own tastes & knowledge as it might be what a fest is presenting.

The £140 weekend ticket or £47, £61, £51 for fri, sat , sun respectively is outrageous, it really is.

Like all festivals, it's horses for courses. If you like the bands it's worth it, and if you don't it's not.

There will always be a loyal crowd bringing in the deckchairs each day, but I can't see how it'll attract newbies, in this very competitive market. Lakefest, for one, appearing nearby and providing alot more for alot less in a family friendly environment is sure to make another dent in ticket sales. 

I can't disagree that the acts it has will make it hardish to attract newbies, but that's the same for all festivals which trade mostly from older 'name' acts. You either want to see them - probably again - or you don't.

I do disagree about Lakefest tho, cos if either one was going to get my money on what's announced so far and what I know of both fests, it would be Wychwood. From what i've seen of Lakefest line-ups previously too (tho some might have passed me by) the Wychwood line-ups are far stronger with 'names'.

And of course, the 'more' is very subjective too. There's few festivals that put on as much for kids as Wychwood, for example, and for plenty of adults in half-term week something to occupy getting-bored kids is attractive. 

yeah, fair do's - horses for courses. Of course, these things are subjective but if you have kept an eye on festival lineup for a few years and been to a few dozen - you can get a reasonable feeling of what you might expect given a festivals size, cost etc. I know you've said it all gets spent on bands - perhaps they need a better negotiator representing them ;)

Lakefest is growing at a fair old rate. I'd say by last year it had surpassed Wychwood in terms of famous names. No need to argue that point particularly. Most would say it was close - Lakefest cost £85 a ticket.

I'll leave it at that. I do hope Wychwood keep s going - had some good times there in the early days

9 hours ago, ian the worm said:

FWIW I think Wychwood 2017 is the best years line up for ages yet I'm annoyed as a scheduled long needed family holiday is preventing me from going.

But of course its subjective and am biased as it suits my youngest and I'm only half an hour away.

Maybe a 'holiday' visit?

With a family Wychwood is the perfect weekend, just wish there was more than one a year ! Can anyone recommend another festival that suits kids as well? Been looking at boom town but think it's probably too big and a little too houses garages type stuff for us, Madness / Ziggy and Wurzuls mind!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd definitely not take your kids to boomtown, that's coming from a person who knows the sort of people that enjoy going to boomtown (if you catch my drift...) 

I'd highly recommend camp bestival as a good kids festival. Also Madness are playing at Camp Bestival this year!

Anyway, off topic but if anyone in here is stewarding at whychwood this year I'd love to hear from you :). I'm going by myself and would like to meet some people who are doing the same :).

On 2/22/2017 at 9:10 PM, Christian_chambers said:

With a family Wychwood is the perfect weekend, just wish there was more than one a year ! Can anyone recommend another festival that suits kids as well? Been looking at boom town but think it's probably too big and a little too houses garages type stuff for us, Madness / Ziggy and Wurzuls mind!

The best all round package for kids I've seen at a festival is at http://nibleyfestival.co.uk/ .

It is a slightly different affair in so much as it's much smaller, cheaper (£50) - and that is reflected in the lineup - but I'd honestly say its the best I've seen for kids entertainment. 

They've actually done really well this year with the lineup too. 

Only runs friday night and saturday full day though - perhaps it could be a bonus little extra , as well as a big one.

and... DONT take your kids to Boomtown.