Green Man Festival 2017

dentalplan

18 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Anyone got any tips for a first timer? What are food facilities like on campsite? I'm guessing it's smuggle booze in if you want to BYO? Tell me your secrets.

Certainly no policy around bringing your own to camping areas other than the normal glass safety requirements. No real issue taking your own into the stage areas either as far as I could ascertain last year - it is fairly light touch security, I took a 2ltr bottle of rum and coke in every day. Food facilities are excellent across the festival but it will add up if you don't make your own arrangements as well.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, scrippit said:

You get handed a comprehensive programme and a beer and cider menu on arrival. No moves.

You might do if you are stewarding or glamping, but I wouldn't know about that. As an ordinary punter, you pay for a programme and lanyard.  I seem to remember it being £7 last year, but I could be wrong about the price. 

Hopefully, as in previous years, before the festival proper starts, a steward or settler will get hold of the stage times and sending photos of it to someone who can update the clashfinder.

23 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Anyone got any tips for a first timer? What are food facilities like on campsite? I'm guessing it's smuggle booze in if you want to BYO? Tell me your secrets.

If you're veggie/vegan, the food is incredible. Last year's was as good as Glastonbury, which is amazing in such a small space.

On 29/07/2017 at 6:48 PM, tillyandthewall said:

Congrats, GETOFFAMYLAWN.  It's a decent life.  My top tip is to always have a friendly and approachable face on whilst on shift = more people stop to ask questions and chat = shift goes quicker.

it's lovely to make people feel welcome and help them start their fest off with a smile.

When I've stewarded at festivals I've found that the people you help at then entrance will sometimes remember you later and even offer to buy you a drink in the bar.

I certainly remember the welcome I get at festivals.  It can set the mood for the weekend.

I know they are like unicorn poo but if anyone has got a spare campervan ticket then please let me know. We are currently offsite in Crickowel but don't fancy the late night walk back.

Has anyone stayed offsite before and know if there is a taxi or other way of getting back to Crickowel?

It's our first green man but reading the forum properly excited that it will fill the void of missing out on Glastonbury this year.

On 7/29/2017 at 6:48 PM, tillyandthewall said:

Congrats, GETOFFAMYLAWN.  It's a decent life.  My top tip is to always have a friendly and approachable face on whilst on shift = more people stop to ask questions and chat = shift goes quicker.

19 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

it's lovely to make people feel welcome and help them start their fest off with a smile.

When I've stewarded at festivals I've found that the people you help at then entrance will sometimes remember you later and even offer to buy you a drink in the bar.

I certainly remember the welcome I get at festivals.  It can set the mood for the weekend.

Thanks guys. I reckon I'm going to be the steward who compliments you on your indie band t shirt. I got 3 separate "nice t-shirt"s from three separate stewards for 3 separate t-shirts last year (The Twilight Sad, 65daysofstatic, and The Cure), and they brightened up my time there.

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Thanks guys. I reckon I'm going to be the steward who compliments you on your indie band t shirt. I got 3 separate "nice t-shirt"s from three separate stewards for 3 separate t-shirts last year (The Twilight Sad, 65daysofstatic, and The Cure), and they brightened up my time there.

I may be wearing my Grumpyhack T Shirt but it's a bit faded and worse for wear now (a bit like its owner). However should you be stewarding the caravan and campervan field I'll be arriving on Thursday afternoon in a silver Audi Estate towing a big twin axle Dethleffs camper caravan.  I'll have a big flagpole with a scarecrow windsock. If you spot it at any time during the festival do call in for a bevvy or two.

Edited by grumpyhack

2 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

I may be wearing my Grumpyhack T Shirt but it's a bit faded and worse for wear now (a bit like its owner). However should you be stewarding the caravan and campervan field I'll be arriving on Thursday afternoon in a silver Audi Estate towing a big twin axle Dethleffs camper caravan.  If you spot it at any time during the festival do call in for a bevvy or two.

aha thanks, I'll keep a beady eye out for you!

As I've said before, it's my first time and I've got a couple of questions if people don't mind helping me out. 

Is it much of a walk from the car park to the settlers campsite? I'm taking a bell tent. 

I heard they have carts you can hire for transporting gear for a £50 deposit, with £45 being returned. Is that right? 

Is there a decent shop nearby or am I better off taking my food for the first three days with me to begin with? I have a cobb BBQ/oven so hoping to cook up some good feasts. 

Any tips for good things to go and visit in the local area over the first three days before the festival starts? 

Thanks a lot! I'm really excited now. 

If anyone has a blue car park pass for sale please let me know! I am going with my 9 month old and they had sold out by the time we decided we were brave enough to go. Have been to many, many festivals, but this will be the first time with our new addition! Not looking forward to dragging our bigger tent, travel cot etc across the whole site to family camping!

2 hours ago, Foxy1984 said:

If anyone has a blue car park pass for sale please let me know! I am going with my 9 month old and they had sold out by the time we decided we were brave enough to go. Have been to many, many festivals, but this will be the first time with our new addition! Not looking forward to dragging our bigger tent, travel cot etc across the whole site to family camping!

I put one up on Twickets earlier in the week along with all my other tix and they were gone within half an hour...

On 09/08/2017 at 3:18 PM, barrybarrass said:

I know they are like unicorn poo but if anyone has got a spare campervan ticket then please let me know. We are currently offsite in Crickowel but don't fancy the late night walk back.

Has anyone stayed offsite before and know if there is a taxi or other way of getting back to Crickowel?

It's our first green man but reading the forum properly excited that it will fill the void of missing out on Glastonbury this year.

On 10/08/2017 at 9:27 AM, themuel said:

As I've said before, it's my first time and I've got a couple of questions if people don't mind helping me out. 

Is it much of a walk from the car park to the settlers campsite? I'm taking a bell tent. 

I heard they have carts you can hire for transporting gear for a £50 deposit, with £45 being returned. Is that right? 

Is there a decent shop nearby or am I better off taking my food for the first three days with me to begin with? I have a cobb BBQ/oven so hoping to cook up some good feasts. 

Any tips for good things to go and visit in the local area over the first three days before the festival starts? 

Anyone?

Another question from a newbie ! 

So I'm going down early for the settlers pass but as that area  then becomes family camping does anyone  know if any of the settlers then unsettle and move over to general ? Seems a right hassle but I've never camped in a family camping area at a festival and as I'm a night owl , am bit reluctant to be camping amongst early morning types once the festival starts ... or will it be ok?!  

On 10/08/2017 at 9:27 AM, themuel said:

The walk is really really short from the Blue Car Park, my car's been probably like 3 mins walk away from my tent some years.

There is a company called Mr Trolley when the festival opens properly, but I don't know if they're there for Settlement. That price seems a bit cheap too, I think it's one of things where you pay for like half an hour and then it's charged by the minute. I'm not sure though there could be a separate thing for Settlement.

I don't think there is a big shop nearby really, the nearest supermarkets are in Abergavenny.

1 hour ago, loulouboo said:

Another question from a newbie ! 

So I'm going down early for the settlers pass but as that area  then becomes family camping does anyone  know if any of the settlers then unsettle and move over to general ? Seems a right hassle but I've never camped in a family camping area at a festival and as I'm a night owl , am bit reluctant to be camping amongst early morning types once the festival starts ... or will it be ok?!  

Maybe just see how it goes but it might be worth moving just cause they'll be kids waking up early, and it wouldn't be that much of a hassle, the camping areas are really close together and well connected.

Edited by Chawk

14 minutes ago, PresentlyTense said:

Haven't had time to look at it properly, but I think I've almost completely missed big clashes. Happy days.

Kate Tempest v Pumarosa and Big Moon v Stevie Parker are frustrating for me.

Does anyone see any gaps for secret shows?