Green Man Festival 2017

dentalplan

6 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Do it nerd.

Stop pressuring me. I'm worried all the other stewards will be trendy students with later bedtimes than me and I'll get bullied for being an office turd and very soon not a Young Person by the definition of the railcard people.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/07/2017 at 9:59 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Green Man have just done a FB post about stewarding for people who don't have tickets. I've never stewarded any festival before, but I'm seriously considering this. It's potentially a way for me to go alone with a guarantee of meeting people there so no sad lonely festival. Stewarding at a lot of other festivals looks like a bit of a thankless task you do so you can get a free ticket, but I reckon I could have a pretty nice time at GM, it's such a lovely laid back place to be and all the stewards seem so genuinely cheerful. And I've probably never before really wanted to go to a festival where I'm not that bothered about any of the specific bands. Has anybody gone alone and done stewarding or litter picking before? Would you recommend it? Only downside is not being able to turn up Thursday and go home Sunday night so extra days off work. Although I am at the point atm where if I saw two tickets on sale somewhere I'd twist my brother's arm into coming, stick them on the credit card and let future me worry about it.

omg I've just seen Bas Jan and Nordic Giants are doing live sets in the cinema tent, I need to get to this fucking festival.

I've stewarded twice- solo in 2013 and with a mate in 2016. I'd recommend it overall, it's definitely better than not going at all! 2013 was great, 2016 was less good as they put the shift lengths up to 8 hours, which i found took too much out of seeing stuff. But this year they've put it back down to 6 hours so that's alright. The staff campsites also a bit further away too (in GM terms, still very close in every other festival terms)

By the way, you can turn up a lot later on Wednesday than they officially say, maybe even early Thursday if you can get your shifts beforehand. It's always a bit ramshackle when it gets started and then really don't seem to care. The 'orientation meeting' is really only useful if you've never been to GM before. And if you get the right shifts you can leave before Monday morning, but you'll have to have your deposit wired to you rather than pick it up in cash.

Also, I'm not sure if they'll have allocated this yet, but ask to be on the accessibility team. Obviously it's great to help people get the most out the festival, but it also means you'll spend most of your shifts on the accessibility stands watching bands. But if you did do that you probably would have to turn up at the right time on Wednesday.

On 20/07/2017 at 11:38 AM, scrippit said:

Most people treat it as a camping holiday. Good atmosphere and great local walking and pubs. There is one beer and food tent (quite expensive as I recall). Weather is a factor - usually variable around this region at the best of times. 

Thanks very much. 

Yes I was in Monmouth yesterday for a wedding and it certainly wasn't dry! 

How is the phone signal there? So I know how much local area research to do before I get there! 

Eagerly awaiting my shifts. Probably not on the cards to get both Friday and Saturday nights free to see both Lift To Experience and Melt Yourself Down, but that would be pretty amazing. Hoping I'm freee for Deep Throat Choir, it wouldn't be Green Man without them.

Is anyone going solo?  Or are there any Efests meetups planned?

I purchased my ticket around a month before a friend passed away.  Until recently I planned to go with his g/f, who'd sorted out a press pass, but she's not feeling up to it now.  As it stands I have my ticket and trains booked, but I'm not sure I fancy going alone :(

On 8/3/2017 at 1:52 PM, jcd_lowe said:

Is anyone going solo?  Or are there any Efests meetups planned?

I purchased my ticket around a month before a friend passed away.  Until recently I planned to go with his g/f, who'd sorted out a press pass, but she's not feeling up to it now.  As it stands I have my ticket and trains booked, but I'm not sure I fancy going alone :(

Sorry to hear that, man :(  

I'm not going solo, but I'd be more than up for a meet/several beers.

19 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

I would be around for an Efests meetup. I normally have loads of free time at GM, and its good excuse to escape the kids

I've not done Green Man before, though am a veteran of EFests meets and would be happy to have a get together at GM.  Not knowing the site I don't know where or when to suggest a meet place and time.  Any suggestions?

We might not be going now as the eldest broke his wrist yesterday in a bike accident and might need  surgery this week. 

There are loads of good meeting up places at green man though, the trouble is the weather. In fine weather it could be courtyard or main stage on the hill etc, in wet weather (lots of the time) it is more tricky. 

6 hours ago, weston24 said:

My girlfriend and I have guest tickets and they say we have access to crew camping. We were going to be staying with friends who have a large tent in general camping though, will we still be able to?

I would've have thought your main wristband would provide access to the general campsite so I doubt they can restrict you.  My friend had a press pass for Glasto which permitted backstage camping but he still camped with us.

Been asked which shift pattern I'd prefer. Got to wait and see if I'm on, but if I get the one I asked for then it should leave me free for Anna Meredith, Badbadnotgood, British Sea Power, Lift To Experience, Nordic Giants, Pumarosa, Yorskton Thorne Khan, Thee Oh Sees, Melt Yourself Down, Deep Throat Choir, Michael Chapman, and Julia Byrne (clashes permitting), happy days! The only real clash casualties there are This Is The Kit, Sleaford Mods, and the Bunch Of Kunst screening, I can live with that.

Would someone @ me when the stage times are announced, please? Assume they're coming soon. Haven't been checking the thread or following the festival ins and outs religiously as I'm sadly not going but people have given me a 'thanks for the hard work' on the clashfinder and, well, I now feel a strong sense of duty to fix the schedule asap!

11 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Would someone @ me when the stage times are announced, please? Assume they're coming soon. Haven't been checking the thread or following the festival ins and outs religiously as I'm sadly not going but people have given me a 'thanks for the hard work' on the clashfinder and, well, I now feel a strong sense of duty to fix the schedule asap!

From what I've seen on the festival forum, they don't actually announce the times online - you have to wait until you get there! This is my first year, so that could well be wrong, but maybe worth noting.

1 hour ago, imamazed said:

From what I've seen on the festival forum, they don't actually announce the times online - you have to wait until you get there! This is my first year, so that could well be wrong, but maybe worth noting.

Does that mean you have to buy a lanyard with the times on? if so that's a douche move.