Headliners 2017

SERRIDGER

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, rawaudioinput said:

Has anyone mentioned that Victorious is adding camping this year so IOW is in direct competition?

I hazard a guess that once the festival calendar starts fleshing out Isle of Wight is going to look even worse and probably less appealing than events like Y-Not and Kendal Calling

Yeah I'd noted that on another thread. Essentially gunning for the same crowd but much cheaper and no ferry. The headliners won't be as big as Arcade Fire and Rod but they'll surely be more suited to the family festival crowd that IOW positions every other aspect for.

There's apparently rumours of Madness plus I've heard from a promoter friend that The Libertines are looking to headline a lot of mid-range festivals next year so I could definitely see them in the frame

A combination of Madness and The Libertines fifteen miles away from Newport for less than the cost of a day ticket to Isle of Wight would surely kill the event off. I do wonder how many punters went to Victorious over Isle of Wight this year, I can only imagine that the number is going to grow

To be honest I think if IOW repositioned themselves as a mid-range festival, shaved £30 off the weekend ticket price, booked something along the lines of Rudimental/Catfish, Arcade Fire and Kaiser Chiefs I reckon they would do decent business this year and begin to carve out a reputation as being the go-to affordable family festival which I think is a market IOW could do well to corner

1 hour ago, rawaudioinput said:

There's apparently rumours of Madness plus I've heard from a promoter friend that The Libertines are looking to headline a lot of mid-range festivals next year so I could definitely see them in the frame

A combination of Madness and The Libertines fifteen miles away from Newport for less than the cost of a day ticket to Isle of Wight would surely kill the event off. I do wonder how many punters went to Victorious over Isle of Wight this year, I can only imagine that the number is going to grow

To be honest I think if IOW repositioned themselves as a mid-range festival, shaved £30 off the weekend ticket price, booked something along the lines of Rudimental/Catfish, Arcade Fire and Kaiser Chiefs I reckon they would do decent business this year and begin to carve out a reputation as being the go-to affordable family festival which I think is a market IOW could do well to corner

I'm not so sure it'll have been in much direct competition thus far as they're opposite ends of the summer and Victorious is a much cheaper do so could have been afforded alongside - I'm pretty sure the two festivals raffled off tickets to one another on their social media pages - but yeah as things are changing I can only see Victorious growing in stature and basically usurping what IOW has been. It already seems to have done a good job providing for people who want R+L and V to be more like they were 10-15 years ago.

Sounds as if the Libertines' agent is taking a leaf out of Noel's book if they're looking at an onslaught of mid-sized festivals. Would still be a coup considering they were only headlining major fests last year.

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/01/2017 at 2:09 PM, rawaudioinput said:

Apparently tickets are available for £160 from the local County Press shop as well

I know IOW are very keen on offers and giveaways but have they ever appeared this early?

I think they've always done a cheaper ticket for locals which you can buy in person, so it's probably just that. 

I see they're doing day tickets this year. 

I checked and WightFibre started the same deal last year in the first week of January so we may be reading a bit too much in to it, however even if the ticket sales match 2016 (which is unlikely, to be frank) I still don't know if they would have the sufficient funds to run

I do feel slightly guilty railing on an event so hard but do people think there's a chance it will go ahead?

43 minutes ago, rawaudioinput said:

I checked and WightFibre started the same deal last year in the first week of January so we may be reading a bit too much in to it, however even if the ticket sales match 2016 (which is unlikely, to be frank) I still don't know if they would have the sufficient funds to run

I do feel slightly guilty railing on an event so hard but do people think there's a chance it will go ahead?

I think if they've done WightFibre for a 2nd year now and not previous then it's already got to a shitty time last year. I can't see what they will announce next strong enough for it to go ahead.

53 minutes ago, rawaudioinput said:

Dunno. It's kinda hard to guess without any knowledge of their finances and the sort of margins they run on. And I guess when Bestival had a bad year, it went ahead but scaled back other things, didn't it? Could just mean repercussions for next year rather than immediate cancellation.

bloody hope it goes ahead, Festival, camper van and ferry tickets bought, I have put them all on a credit card though, just had in case.

with Bestival now on the mainland and victorious heading towards full camping 3 day festival,  IOW  days are numbered, we won't go again, the ferry prices and the way they rip off campervaners rule it out, we said last year was our last but this year definitely is.

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Dunno. It's kinda hard to guess without any knowledge of their finances and the sort of margins they run on. And I guess when Bestival had a bad year, it went ahead but scaled back other things, didn't it? Could just mean repercussions for next year rather than immediate cancellation.

The thing is, Bestival had things beyond the Main Stage that they could scale back on.

But yeah. I can't imagine their headliners are too expensive, so they may have done the sums whereby they can run and make a profit selling only 50% of their capacity.

I think booking Guetta is an attempt to bring in the very casual punter who want to have a festival experience and don't have much prior experience nor knowledge of the options available on the market

I've seen some very positive comments about Guetta from women in their late 20's/early 30's who also seem very keen in glamping options and will tend to spend a lot of money on-site

However in attracting this sort of demographic you're not only competing with festivals but holiday destinations as well and once people do the maths for buying a ticket, travelling, booking their yurt, etc. they happen to change their minds and look at Alicante instead, something I have seen many a time on the comment section