Headliners 2017

SERRIDGER

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isle of Wight is a lesson on how not to book a festival, every year they've relied on one or two big headline acts and skimped on the undercard, it has a reputation for being the biggest festival with the crapest undercard going. 

Now their headliners are crap this year, don't get me wrong I love Arcade Fire, but they aren't going to shift tickets, the other two are a joke. The fact that people are wary because of having to get a ferry across, the festival is limited already, the fact theres no day tickets mean even the locals won't take a punt and people who are close to a ferry don't go IOW anymore because Victorious is so strong a festival for a quarter of the price.

Took the piss for too long and they're gunna go under. 

It's a really weird set of headliners that really doesn't nail down a particular demographic.

You can argue that all three are worthy of headlining a festival, but not on a line-up together.

Arcade Fire are good, but a bit too niche. Rod Stewart appeals to an older audience. Many young people will be excited by Guetta, but that type will not be bothered about the other two headliners.

Been going for years and it's gradually been going downhill. Am busy on that weekend next year so relieved the line-up doesn't appeal at all!

Luckysalt makes a great point. Victorious provides much better value, then there's Bestival on the island too!

Damn they are gonna need a huge Big Top this year, tumble weeds at the main stage whilst there will be carnage at the big top( if it goes ahead and enough people buy tickets)

bearing in mind they are in the country I wonder is the Aerosmith boys will pop over for a sing song?( not a chance)

Edited by Smeble

5 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Isle of Wight has had shite line-ups for years. Last year and this year is on another level, though. If this doesn't get canned before 2018 I'll be amazed.

At least last year had two big headliners in The Who and Queen, and the headliners on the whole probably appealed to a similar demographic, despite the Friday being shite.

Who the fuck is paying £200+ to go to a festival headlined by Run DMC, David Guetta, Rod Stewart and Arcade Fire?!

the more i think about that set of headliners the more baffling it is :lol: Run-DMC!? i just don't understand how they even got to the point where Run-DMC were a viable option. the talk a while back about James being one of the co-headliners makes more sense. Arcade Fire don't know what they've got themselves in for, and i really wouldn't be surprised if this ends up getting cancelled

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

When you think about it, Bestival could totally get away with Run-DMC, Arcade Fire and Rod Stewart as headliners.

Arcade Fire alone would make it a winner for Bestival. Rod would fit right in with some of the previous bookings they've made. Run-DMC would still be mind boggling but the other two would more than make up for it

like most others i'm wondering why Bastille aren't in Run-DMC's place. doubt it'd do much to save the festival but at least it'd make sense to have an up and coming UK act there rather than an act most had forgotten were even still about

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Arcade Fire alone would make it a winner for Bestival. Rod would fit right in with some of the previous bookings they've made. Run-DMC would still be mind boggling but the other two would more than make up for it

like most others i'm wondering why Bastille aren't in Run-DMC's place. doubt it'd do much to save the festival but at least it'd make sense to have an up and coming UK act there rather than an act most had forgotten were even still about

It'd make sense for Bestival with the heavy leaning towards hip hop and them not having done a show here in so many years. Obviously not so much for IOW. But still there's the older crowd to think about. Run-DMC are more likely to resonate than a newer act. Like what raw what saying about James probably going down better than Foals. If Bastille were headlining people would be laughing all the same.

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

the more i think about that set of headliners the more baffling it is :lol: Run-DMC!? i just don't understand how they even got to the point where Run-DMC were a viable option. the talk a while back about James being one of the co-headliners makes more sense. Arcade Fire don't know what they've got themselves in for, and i really wouldn't be surprised if this ends up getting cancelled

AF are probably secretly hoping for it.

5 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

At least last year had two big headliners in The Who and Queen, and the headliners on the whole probably appealed to a similar demographic, despite the Friday being shite.

Who the fuck is paying £200+ to go to a festival headlined by Run DMC, David Guetta, Rod Stewart and Arcade Fire?!

Well there's the 6 people that bought early entry tickets for Hyde Park for arcade fire.  And that's about all the people I can think of xD

How do we think this is going to play out? Isle of Wight would have been smart to copy what Bestival are doing and downsize along with slashing the ticket price, the atmosphere of the event is a strong asset and seems to be what's drawing the regulars (what's left of them) back

Instead the festival is probably going to go down in a ball of flames. I can't see it being handled well either; with Solo lacking the assets of other major promoters I'm fully expecting it to be artists/vendors not being paid, difficulty getting refunds, John Giddings grasping a crate of Starsailor CDs missing the last helicopter out of Saigon level

It's difficult to answer - Considering the acts they've booked I think it's quite likely that the budget for the 2017 Festival is already vastly reduced compared to previous years, and so they probably need to sell a lot less tickets than they have previously. Which is still downsizing, albeit in a much less visible way than Bestival have been doing..

So even with the shockingly poor lineup they've put together, they might just have done their sums well enough that they can make it work on a crowd of 20,000 odd. Without knowing what they're paying the acts, I don't think anyone can say with confidence.

They should have done David Guetta on the Friday, whacked an old school Indie headliner on Big Top against him, Put Bastille on Saturday headliner and Arcade Fire on Sunday and downsized and lowered ticket prices and this would have done ok still I reckon, but its bloody horrible as it stands, I can't even see ANY crossover in fans between Guetta and RunDMC let alone the other days.

I just don't understand the logic behind any of it at all.