Madness

plaskins

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

People always bracket The Specials and Madness together. IMO that is massively unfair on The Specials. 

Both came out at the same period, signed to the same label, toured together, inspired by the same type of music, same fanbase..... Madness weren't as scared as a pop single in comparison though.

They get a raw deal, Madness in my opinion. Too easily dismissed as a singles band and a bit lightweight. One Step Beyond, Absolutely and 7 are a cracking set of albums and their subject matter has always been weighty even if it is hidden behind a jaunty chorus or two . Norton Folgate was a great return to form as well, though that last one was a stinker.

That said, I was really disappointed at the Pyramid this year. Chas is a real miss, and that karaoke shambles by the guitarist nearly made me leave.

24 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Both came out at the same period, signed to the same label, toured together, inspired by the same type of music, same fanbase..... Madness weren't as scared as a pop single in comparison though.

They get a raw deal, Madness in my opinion. Too easily dismissed as a singles band and a bit lightweight. One Step Beyond, Absolutely and 7 are a cracking set of albums and their subject matter has always been weighty even if it is hidden behind a jaunty chorus or two . Norton Folgate was a great return to form as well, though that last one was a stinker.

That said, I was really disappointed at the Pyramid this year. Chas is a real miss, and that karaoke shambles by the guitarist nearly made me leave.

I thought they were pretty good and did well to get the crowd perked up,  but that bit was a "is this happening?"  moment. 

Edited by clarkete

11 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Can't disagree with that.

But people lump them together just cos of the two-tone/ska thing and that's wrong. Couldn't see Jerry Dammers doing Acca Dacca Karaoke in the middle of a gig.

It's like lumping My Chemical Romance in with Zeppelin. 

Sorry man, but nah.  You can prefer one or the other, but there's every reason to group them together - at least, as much as there is any two bands.

I saw their first appearance at Glasto in 1986. They played on the Sunday (on before Level 42 and headliner Gil Scott-Heron) and their set coincided with the England v Argentina World Cup Quarter Final (the 'Hand of God' game), obviously to their annoyance. After the first number Suggs announced 'I think we've got time for one more'...:P

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

Feels like these c**ts are there every year

I've always quite liked Madness but yea I know what you mean......plus Suggs is going through a bit of an Emily Barlow over managed period the last year or so so he's becoming a little irritating lately tbh.

13 hours ago, crocodiles said:

Interviewer probably got facts wrong they did glastonbury this year be suprised if they are back next ....but what about the specials they could be due another visit 

He definitely said you're playing Glastonbury this year, rather than you've played Glastonbury. But like you said, Saturday morning TV and Im not sure they'd have two years on the bounce. I actually forgot they'd played  2016

11 hours ago, themuel said:

I watched Madness and The Specials do a joint secret gig in a tent in Lost Vagueness - all joining on in each other's songs. So lumping them in together seems totally reasonable. 

It's unreasonable to pretend otherwise. The Specials signed Madness for their 2 Tone Record label, and both bands (With The Selector) came to greater prominence on the 1979 2 Tone Tour. Some members of the two bands have performed together on a number of occasions over the years.

Obviously the insinuations are Madness aren't deemed to be as worthy as The Specials. Like all music, just a separate matter of taste, but they are completely linked in musical influences too, mainly Ska. (Jerry Dammers nicked Prince Buster's 'Al Capone' for 'Gangsters', Madness covered it as 'One Step Beyond', essential early hits for both bands)