Recommendations

Sziget will come highly recommended on this message board.

Having not been, Pukkelpop would be my recommendation. Been 6 times now and always had a great time. With 10 stages it's as diverse as they come. Very strong dance area too. Very friendly, party vibe and near to a great town if you're not keen on camping. Easy to get to and super organised when you're there (free train travel and shuttle buses) Main criticism would be that the main stage is a bit hit and miss. 

Really depends what you are looking for in a festival, bands or the festival experience.

I've been to werchter, roskilde, pukkelop and sziget.

Each one brings something different to the table.

If you want the big hitters and big names you go to werchter. Pukkelop doesn't have the solid lineup werchter usually does but you get more choice as there's more stages. Those 2 the main point in going is the bands.

Roskilde and sziget is more about the atmosphere, although the lineup are still fantastic is more diverse than werchter and pukkelop.  Another advantage is roskilde and sziget go on for around a week and the other 2 the weekend. I would describe sziget and roskilde a more Glastonbury type of festival and werchter/pukkelop a more reading/Leeds type of affairs but lot better.

If I had to choose 1 it would be sziget due to great weather, friendly people, price and it goes on for a week.

I've booked up for sziget next year, was going to do a day at werchter for radiohead. Decided to do the full weekend though as I think it will be a stonking lineup next year.

I've only been to NOS Alive (july,2016) and Sziget (august,2014-15-16).

My vote goes to Sziget, as I'm also going next year. 10 days of camping; the first 3days are great, with no music (or few), a bit like wednesday-thursday Glastonbury. Then it's 7 days packed with great music from main stages (rock/pop/EDM/techno/world music/indie etc.) to smaller stages (reggae, ambient etc.). Music was only 50%. The rest is the people you meet and the activities you get to do. I never left the island because I never got bored but if you fancy you can also go to Budapest, which I visited for a week before Sziget this year. But I prefer to camp because the camping is well decorated, shaded with an excellent location (camping is sparse, between the stages; you live the festival; NB: if you want to camp i highly recommend to do the 10 days). 

If you HAVE to travel in july my vote goes to NOS then. Camping is great, it has a pool, trees and a free shuttle bus to the festival. The bands were AMAZING last year, there are areas to chill, a stage for electronic music and a second stage but that's it. No activities onsite, but Lisbon and its beaches are amazing.

Here are two articles I wrote, don't hesitate if you have any question :)

https://backpacknstuff.wordpress.com/2015/11/13/sziget-festival-2015-day-time/

https://backpacknstuff.wordpress.com/2016/10/04/nos-alive-2016/

15 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Sziget will come highly recommended on this message board.

Having not been, Pukkelpop would be my recommendation. Been 6 times now and always had a great time. With 10 stages it's as diverse as they come. Very strong dance area too. Very friendly, party vibe and near to a great town if you're not keen on camping. Easy to get to and super organised when you're there (free train travel and shuttle buses) Main criticism would be that the main stage is a bit hit and miss. 

Same opinion than Dave. Try Pukkelpop. 

Edited by johnybegood

In august i've been a few times to pukkelpop sziget and frequency in austria.

in my opinion the choice is between pkp and sziget.

pkp: + music, + atmosphere

sziget + party, + atmosphere, + camping, + location (and you're in budapest)

First, thank you for this topic !

This year I went to Download - Hellfest - Solidays - Rock Werchter - Vieilles Charrues - Festival du bout du monde;

For next year, my plan is Glastonbury (I failed at first sales, I'll try again in April), and if I fail, I'll take tickets for Hurricane festival. Then Rock Werchter for sure, cause it's the best festival for MUSIC. Not last year, but concerning previous editions, concerts are insane. Then I wanted to go to Mad Cool, but there is no official campsite, and I want to have a "complete" festival experience, and not a range of amazing concerts only. So I bought tickets for NOS Alive this morning, praying for Pearl Jam secretly.

Then, at the first week-end of August, I highly recommend the Festival du bout du monde in west of France. This is my favourite festival. I've never had a so good time in a festival campsite in any else festival, form the smallest to the biggest. Music is from the whole world, with artists well-known in their countries of origins, but no superstars. It's like a dream there, half people are hippies (I don't mean white rastas, I mean the kindest people ever), and the other are the funniest people dressed up ever. Every body goes to eat drink and play music with everyone in the camp, it's like a big family, with 50000 people. The line-up is always awesome, you discover incredible bands. Here is my favourite from this year, it was the craziest party of all festivals I've made this year : 

So to sum up : Glastonbury - Rock Werchter - NOS Alive - Festival du Bout Du Monde (that I recommend to everyone)

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, SPTFRE said:

Has anyone here been to Melt or Colours of Ostrava festivals? If so, would you recommend?

No, but did look at them both for this year. Ostrava is not that easy to get to if I remember rightly, Melt is slightly easier, plenty of nearby airports and there's also a direct train from Amsterdam. 

Melt in particular looked ace, great setting, very much on the dance side of things as well, but they both looked good.

51 minutes ago, SPTFRE said:

Has anyone here been to Melt or Colours of Ostrava festivals? If so, would you recommend?

Hi, citizen of Ostrava here! Colours, also known as little Sziget, is very family friendly festival placed in a lovely industrial area. Locals, Slovak and Polish fans are majority but there are LOTS of kids and even little babies there. Festival is super clean and you wont see any wasted individuals during night. As for as lineup goes, you cant expect miracles with Colours budget (Florence, Beck, Pearl Jam :D for example are ruled out for this year). Theres a big discussion event during Colours which is called Meltingpot with aprox. 150 panels, each translated into czech and english at the very least.

Transport and accomodation is the biggest problem indeed. Ostrava has its own airport with connection to Prague, London, Dusseldorf and Milano i think. And our campsite, which is located very close to area, is having problems with terrain and trees might fall on your head so it isnt known if theres going to be this campsite next year. Another campsite is located at castle 2km by walk from festival area.

Here is summary of pros and cons in English http://www.katechka.com/colours-of-ostrava-experience-review/

Cheers