Biodegradable Camping Chairs

lewisowens

Biodegradable Camping Chairs  

37 members have voted

1. 1. If there was a biodegradable camping chair available at Glastonbury next year, which folded down flat and was easier to carry than those currently on the market, plus helping the environment with the chair being produced from 100% recycled materials and having as minimal carbon foot print as possible, would you be interested?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Buying the chair at Glastonbury would be more convenient that bringing your own, however the chair will begin to decompose after a week. How much would you be willing to spend on this?

• Under £4
    • £4+
    • £6+
    • £8+
    • £10+
  3. 3. If more eco-friendly camping alternatives we're offered, would you be interested in them compared to what you're currently using?

• Yes
    • No

Hi guys,

I'm a product and furniture design student at Sheffield Hallam University. For one of my projects I am trying to reduce the waste that is created at festivals and the impact on the environment that it has. One example would be biodegradable camping chairs. Although this might sound easily breakable, the chair would be robust enough to endure 5 days of wet, muddy and brutal conditions. It would fold up flat pack and be easy to store and transport around the festival. I am just interested to see feedback from you guys on the idea, and if you'd actually be interested in such a product if it was offered at next years Glastonbury. 

Thanks a lot!

Glastonbury tried introducing biodegradable tent pegs a few years ago and they were lethal.  Hit them with a hammer and they split into razor sharp shards

I'm a chair person and have carried the same fold up chair around festivals for about ten years.  I pack it away at the end of the fest and take it home.  Surely that's a better option than leaving behind yet more landfill, even if it biodegrades over time.

2 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Glastonbury tried introducing biodegradable tent pegs a few years ago and they were lethal.  Hit them with a hammer and they split into razor sharp shards

I'm a chair person and have carried the same fold up chair around festivals for about ten years.  I pack it away at the end of the fest and take it home.  Surely that's a better option than leaving behind yet more landfill, even if it biodegrades over time.

But the problem is that not everyone is as sensible as you. Glastonbury 2016 there were over 3000 chairs left behind by campers, 5000 tents, 1000 gazebos etc. It's a lot of waste. The point of the project is to try reduce that waste, reduce the carbon foot print or producing them and the product will be much easier to dispose of; potential even have an after life. However, it would just be easier if people could bring and take their chairs with them reducing the huge clean up cost for the organisers.

A few points.

• Any solution which encourages, or justifies leaving anything behind is in my opinion a bad idea
  • I am very sceptical about the practicality of producing a biodegradable chair which is strong enough to support a large adult, light enough to carry around and cheap enough to manufacture
  • Also on a practical note is the decomposition starts after a week how do you build up the stock required for a large event such as Glastonbury?

Not for me, I'll continue with my tried and tested ErgoLife seat

ARR 

3 hours ago, lewisowens said:

But the problem is that not everyone is as sensible as you. Glastonbury 2016 there were over 3000 chairs left behind by campers, 5000 tents, 1000 gazebos etc. It's a lot of waste. The point of the project is to try reduce that waste, reduce the carbon foot print or producing them and the product will be much easier to dispose of; potential even have an after life. However, it would just be easier if people could bring and take their chairs with them reducing the huge clean up cost for the organisers.

Part of the problem is the double-edged sword of Glastonbury encouraging people to travel by coach and train.  If you are knackered after a week of hedonism you are less inclined to pack everything away and lug it to the coach parks than to just pack stuff away in a car - though even that requires an effort.  

I suspect that the areas where least is left are the campervan fields where you can simply pack everything away in your van or caravan.

I speak as someone who never left anything behind when I tented and certainly not now I caravan (at least I would had I a ticket for 2017 - all offers of help gratefully accepted for the resales).

23 hours ago, alanr said:

A few points.

• Any solution which encourages, or justifies leaving anything behind is in my opinion a bad idea
  • I am very sceptical about the practicality of producing a biodegradable chair which is strong enough to support a large adult, light enough to carry around and cheap enough to manufacture
  • Also on a practical note is the decomposition starts after a week how do you build up the stock required for a large event such as Glastonbury?

Not for me, I'll continue with my tried and tested ErgoLife seat

ARR 

I am very aware that it could potentially encourage people to leave more rubbish behind; hence why I'm doing this research. I understand people will be skeptical but I have designed three which all take the weight, extremely light (lighter than generic camping chairs) and could potentially cost on Glastonbury scale around 20p in materials. 

Having designed a few different options, from recycling with incentives to bring the chair back and purely biodegradable options I can tell you they work. The biodegradable chair would be partially made from fertiliser, plant seeds and paper pulp with a coating. Thus, benefiting the fields whilst it degrades. 

Thank you for your thoughts.

Not to rain on any recycling parade which is a great idea in principle. Unless it's very clear that they are biodegradable the clean up crew will pick them up and chuck them with the rest of the garbage. If they're as you describe they'll melt down I guess but I'd imagine it's not going to do anything other than decrease the crap in the landfill hole.