Victorious Festival 2017

seanz25

On 8/1/2017 at 8:27 PM, Flaminglippy said:

This is a real worry, read loads about whats been happening at Y Not and sounds awful. Can't imagine why they would only cut costs at one festival, so doesn't bode well for Victorious. 

8 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

My main concern is purse tightening inside the festival. Last year there were some lovely additions of little details that gave areas so much character and charm. I really hope it doesn't start going in the other direction.

Either way it's a festival that I will probably always go to as it's on my doorstep and is good value for money artist wise. 

Yeah, it's been such a lovely little fest to have down here, would be a shame if it all goes tits up cos the new owners are trying to squeeze every penny out of it.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Sounds shit @seanz25, it will be interesting to see if there is a visible difference at the event.

In cheerier news the big sign on Castle Field and blimp are up, it's getting closer!

If they're going to cut costs it'll either be bar staff, security or loos I expect (think the bars might be run independently though?) Really hope they don't arse it up...been looking forward to this for ages

12 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

If they're going to cut costs it'll either be bar staff, security or loos I expect (think the bars might be run independently though?) Really hope they don't arse it up...been looking forward to this for ages

Hope they don't cut costs with the loos, those portaloos are grim enough by the end of the day that I normally have to shimmy home with my legs crossed!

(If you're listening Victorious, have a word with Glasto about their lovely composters.)

26 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

any reason on why Jesus and Mary Chain are gone?

Nothing from me. The rest of their dates seem to be in tact.

Personally it's a bit of an improvement for me. I had very little interest in TJ&MC and wouldn't mind Pete being on in the background depending on what form he is on. 

9 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Personally it's a bit of an improvement for me. I had very little interest in TJ&MC and wouldn't mind Pete being on in the background depending on what form he is on. 

Form of narcotics?

45 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Very strange if its just Victorious they've cancelled, I had a look on Victorious feed and it seems 50/50 in terms of people wanting J&MC or wanting Pete, seems most people wanting Pete though don't have tickets and I doubt they ever will, just like to post shite on FB

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, luckysalt said:

Id have much prefered Jesus and Mary Chain, never liked Libertines nevermind Pete solo. Ah well, i'll give him a go or go elsewhere, any reason on why Jesus and Mary Chain are gone?

JAMC were immense at Latitude, and that was the first time I had seen them.  Would have been gutted if I'd decided not to watch them there as they were on at Victorious. 

Still hopeful that Jake Bugg will pull out and be replaced with someone with some talent though.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

jesus, hadn't realised this was 65,000 people.

Can't really see it being sustainable at that size, as they'll run out of bands they're able to book to attract that number.

I think they'll still get the punters in purely because the ticket price is so low. £25 a day for Stereophonics and Elbow is less than one of their gig tickets plus you have all the other stuff going on that day. Dont know of any other festival thats such good value for money.

16 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

I think they'll still get the punters in purely because the ticket price is so low.

that still only applies for all of the while they're able to get appealing acts.

Same as with the biggest headliners there's a limited pool of the (I'm not meaning to be rude) on-the-way-down headliner acts that are available to what might be called this 'second tier' of festivals, as well as a more limited appeal for reselling the same act a few years later.

But I agree with the general point you've raised, that the price is good enough for it to matter less.

At the moment Victorious appeals to a lot of locals who go just because it's a bank holiday weekend and it's something to do that is affordable, especially if you buy the £25 / day early birds. The difficulty for Victorious may be that if they continue to increase prices by more than inflation (which they have been doing year on year) it might price the casual local out and then they're competing purely on line up, which whilst decent is always very 'second tier' as mentioned above.

On 8/11/2017 at 0:42 PM, eFestivals said:

that still only applies for all of the while they're able to get appealing acts.

Same as with the biggest headliners there's a limited pool of the (I'm not meaning to be rude) on-the-way-down headliner acts that are available to what might be called this 'second tier' of festivals, as well as a more limited appeal for reselling the same act a few years later.

But I agree with the general point you've raised, that the price is good enough for it to matter less.

Have you been Neil? 

It's a festival which has took a lot of people from Isle of wight fest, old V fest goers back in the day too. 

The way they are trying to position themselves now as growing and adding camping, I don't think they will be able to expand further in that regard but in terms of older people who don't want to camp but still experience a festival there's nothing else out there that does it so good and so cheap. 

Slam Dunk does what it does very well, this is the same but hitting the indie/pop market you can get a whole weekend ticket here for less that what one day at V festival costs. a single day here is much less than Slam Dunk is. 

The problem this will start to have is the hotels in the area starting putting prices up so high that it becomes too expensive a weekend for non locals, this is my third year and we have looked for next year and the prices have shot up year on year. 

Regarding the headliner pool it is difficult because a lot of older indie acts are just done or they aren't seen as big enough anymore. 

If all you need is a clean bed and bathroom, the uni halls seem to offer fairly good value, compared to most of the hotels, including the ibis Budget at Fratton. I've booked Rees Hall, at £64 per night for B&B and the halls further from the festival site are cheaper than that.

This will be my fourth Victorious and I've always thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, far more so than Reading. Be interesting to see how much more the 'Early Bird' prices are for 2018.

6 hours ago, Frangipane said:

If all you need is a clean bed and bathroom, the uni halls seem to offer fairly good value, compared to most of the hotels, including the ibis Budget at Fratton. I've booked Rees Hall, at £64 per night for B&B and the halls further from the festival site are cheaper than that.

This will be my fourth Victorious and I've always thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, far more so than Reading. Be interesting to see how much more the 'Early Bird' prices are for 2018.

I've can't vouch for how nice those are on the inside but I've heard good things. You can't get much better in terms of location. 

Stage times should be out tomorrow judging by previous years guys. I tweeted them asking but as usual they ignored it, i've never in the 3 years i've been going here seen them reply to a single tweet. I'd think it was done as promoted tweets but then they retweet pro festival tweets so they're just ignorant c**ts.

4 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Stage times should be out tomorrow judging by previous years guys. I tweeted them asking but as usual they ignored it, i've never in the 3 years i've been going here seen them reply to a single tweet. I'd think it was done as promoted tweets but then they retweet pro festival tweets so they're just ignorant c**ts.

Yeah, think the bands know their times now. Slow Readers Club said they're on at 12.45pm on the Sunday

2 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

Yeah, think the bands know their times now. Slow Readers Club said they're on at 12.45pm on the Sunday

So main stage doesn't start until 12.45 now. 

Castle Stage starting at 12.15 ish I guess. 

They've both always been 11am guess they felt they didn't bring enough in, I certainly never get there that early, im gunna get in around 12 this year though I think.