Victorious Festival 2017

seanz25

5 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Stage splits 

Saturday's undercard is looking great

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 12.11.38.png

Sunday reminds me of last year when they forgot to book anything for it. If I liked the Phonics and didn't see Bugg last year I might go for the day. I'm sure for many alright for price though

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Stage splits 

Saturday's undercard is looking great

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 12.11.38.png

British Sea Power/Feeder clash isn't ideal (if no bands are added above).

Surprised to see that the Castle Stage headliners are poppy as opposed to dancy as @luckysalt mentioned, they seem to have been quite popular in the last few years. I was expecting to see a Faithless DJ set or something similar.

29 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

British Sea Power/Feeder clash isn't ideal (if no bands are added above).

Surprised to see that the Castle Stage headliners are poppy as opposed to dancy as @luckysalt mentioned, they seem to have been quite popular in the last few years. I was expecting to see a Faithless DJ set or something similar.

Faithless are playing Dj sets elsewhere this year. 

Maybe Specials, Stranglers, libertines etc. Haven't heard much from Palma Violets recently but they are brilliant live.

Im surprised it looks like KT Tunstall is subbing on castle and clashing with Franz, both hit their height of popularity at same time around 2005 so you would think same fanbase appeal and KT would surely be better as a main stage sunday afternoon act. 

Always have such weird placings victorious

Looking at the website looks like Frank Turner is playing the get people in early so we can make more money in the arena slot. No one for Sunday though. Seems a weird one giving Frank Turner that slot I have to say, surely will get more young uns in who can't buy beer.

Look at past 2 years, Texas on Sunday in 2015 [Saturday didn't have one] and Boomtown Rats and Will Young last year. 

Yeah definitely a different type of act, though there have been plenty of older people at the Frank gigs I've been too (which is like 7 now I think :lol:). 

It's just a solo show as well, which they should probably make clear on the lineup page. 

On the Feeder/BSP clash, i think someone will be added above Feeder anyway. 

Sunday looks rather weak still, surely more to be added there. One or two more if we're fortunate on the Saturday 'name-wise' and it could be a really solid day that. Can't really fault the line-up. As a family it's ticking boxes for all of us. 

Would love Palma Violets as someone else suggested. 

Edited by seanz25

Sunday looking like just gonna be plonked in front of main stage...sorted! Saturday, main stage except for BSP and Frightened Rabbit, bummer if FR and Feeder clash

Only just noticed its only the Castle Stage open on Friday. Had assumed the Common (main) stage would be open. That bar at the back is gonna be bloody manic!

Edited by Flaminglippy
Added another sentence

Kinda gutted Olly Murs is headlining the 2nd stage...assumed he would be in the Will Young slot. Secretly don't think he is that bad and would have given me an excuse to watch him without any of my lot knowing I actually wanted to see him if he was on the main stage. Bum.

On 3/7/2017 at 11:23 PM, seanz25 said:

Noticed Gary Numan's making the odd appearence here and there including Standon Calling in a lower slot than I expected... Potential to sub the Sunday?

Can only see Franz subbing the Sunday to be honest, they're headlining all the other festivals they're doing, Kendall Calling, Truck, Belladrum and Rock En Seine. 

Surprised to see Happy Mondays announced for YNot, hope Victorious grab them as well to beef up the main stage.

On 01/03/2017 at 2:28 PM, luckysalt said:

Im surprised it looks like KT Tunstall is subbing on castle and clashing with Franz, both hit their height of popularity at same time around 2005 so you would think same fanbase appeal and KT would surely be better as a main stage sunday afternoon act. 

Always have such weird placings victorious

I've never understood the programming at Victorious - from some of the weird clashes to the random lengths of the set lists - random local cover version acts getting longer sets than big international acts etc. 

14 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Can only see Franz subbing the Sunday to be honest, they're headlining all the other festivals they're doing, Kendall Calling, Truck, Belladrum and Rock En Seine. 

Surprised to see Happy Mondays announced for YNot, hope Victorious grab them as well to beef up the main stage.

Less than 24 hours later Happy Monday's announce a Portsmouth pyramids gig for May. Think that's likely a write-off the ha!

Global snap up majority stake in Victorious Festival.

Global is becoming a bit of a beast. So thats South West Four, Field Day, Boardmasters, Rewind, Y Not, Truck, Festival No.6, Standon Calling, Glass Butter Beach, Lost Village, as well as the Broadwick promotions including Kendal. 

There's "more to come", says Global Entertainment

On 21/03/2017 at 11:30 AM, craigb said:

Global is becoming a bit of a beast. So thats South West Four, Field Day, Boardmasters, Rewind, Y Not, Truck, Festival No.6, Standon Calling, Glass Butter Beach, Lost Village, as well as the Broadwick promotions including Kendal. 

That's a shame. Thought they were going to grow it themselves. Will be same old shit now

On 3/21/2017 at 11:30 AM, craigb said:

11 hours ago, luckysalt said:

That's a shame. Thought they were going to grow it themselves. Will be same old shit now

I agree that it's a shame. It still had elements of the successful independent Southsea scene about it, or at least roots behind it. 

I don't blame the founders though, they made something huge from nothing in a short amount of time, I'd imagine they made a bit of bank from the deal.

A bit from them in here: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/our-region/portsmouth/portsmouth-s-victorious-festival-is-sold-in-major-new-deal-1-7876957

4 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

I'd imagine they made a bit of bank from the deal.

The prices of festival companies are a funny thing. At the end of the day the only thing the buyer is buying is a name.

There's not really any tangible assets. There's not even the same regular repeat business thing that the producer of a physical or service product has. Everything depends on the next one being as successful as the last one, and every time is a big gamble on a different thing (band, or group of bands).

I'm sure they're not unhappy, but it might not be as much as you might be thinking.

That newspaper link above, christ there's some right miserable bastards local moaning about the festival, its one weekend in a whole year. Tolerance is non existent for them it seems. BTW i've been to the past two and never seen the slightest bit of bad behaviour or people even leaving the place loudly. 

Anyway, someone in the comments said they've applied for a 5 day license. I can't see how they're going to achieve this as camping is offsite and limited to 7k I think it was, certainly no more than 10k.

They say that the plan is to have it as big as Reading is. Well good luck to them but if they do get that big I doubt it will be the festival for me anymore, if they continue to go down the Olly Murs and Rita Ora route and not the Classic Indie and Rock I'll be moving on.   

The same half a dozen posters find something to complain about on every article on the news. Take it with a pinch of salt  (see what I did there?). 

Doesn't help that the council keep on giving planning permission for old people's homes looking over the coast and the beach - on an urban coastline these areas are always going to attract noisy fun. 

No automatic alt text available.

I don't think there is anything new here apart from mainly confirming that Rita and Olly are headlining?

Maybe an extra couple of smaller names for the Sunday?

EDIT: nope, they're all on the line up listing so nothing new, my bad

Edited by Tommy101

On 3/30/2017 at 10:14 AM, Tommy101 said:

No automatic alt text available.

I don't think there is anything new here apart from mainly confirming that Rita and Olly are headlining?

Maybe an extra couple of smaller names for the Sunday?

EDIT: nope, they're all on the line up listing so nothing new, my bad

Going to the effort of making that new poster now, makes it look like an announcement isn't coming. It also looks like they feel the big acts are done. Hope they don't feel they've sold the amount of tickets they wanted to and they're just gunna use filler for the rest of the bill. The headliners this year seems to me that they would have cost a fair whack of cash and they're just selling the tickets as cheaper than going to see the artist on tour plus this undercard. Im sure Olly Murs alone is probably more than £40 so they're probably pulling people in on that plus the names they already have. 

Ah well, still enough there for me for the money spent, really was hoping for Maximo Park though too.