Victorious Festival 2017

seanz25

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that it was announced on Radio X says a lot about its line up so far. 

It's also a bit 'Can't afford Reading? Then try this instead.' 

For locals (like me) who don't have to worry about accommodation and transport costs it still seems decent value - not so sure I'd be tempted if I had to factor in those. 

6 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah the subs are weird, unless Franz Ferdinand are about to bring out the album of the summer there's no way they merit being booked above Slaves

I'm not sure if I am getting mixed up here but I went to see interpol in 2015 in Glasgow and I think they might have supported them if it was them, then they are fucking awful.;)

I should really google them I suppose.

26 minutes ago, Roaminginthegloaming said:

I'm not sure if I am getting mixed up here but I went to see interpol in 2015 in Glasgow and I think they might have supported them if it was them, then they are fucking awful.;)

I should really google them I suppose.

I think that was Health.

6 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah the subs are weird, unless Franz Ferdinand are about to bring out the album of the summer there's no way they merit being booked above Slaves

Nah no way. Franz might not be as big as they were but they're still a pretty well known name, particularly among this crowd as thetime pointed out. They're headlining Kendal too, it's a good booking.

Slaves already look to be stepping down the line ups as summer 2015 gets further away.

3 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Nah Slaves did support Interpol around then, I remember being unsure of whether to go or not and decided I'd go if the support was good then Slaves were announced.

Oh right, so you didn't go? :P I knew Health being awful didn't sound quite right. Weird choice of support for them though, Slaves.

I was kicking myself about not going to the Leeds show actually because I thought Health were supporting and that'd be a pretty great twofer.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Oh right, so you didn't go? :P I knew Health being awful didn't sound quite right. Weird choice of support for them though, Slaves.

I was kicking myself about not going to the Leeds show actually because I thought Health were supporting and that'd be a pretty great twofer.

Of course not :lol: I wasn't too fussed as I'd seen them on the NME tour a couple of years before but in hindsight with it being Barrowlands I'd probably have gone. Shame they're only doing a couple of dates for the TOTBL tour as I'd be all over that but I guess they'll be back over next year anyway.

8 hours ago, MattDavies__ said:

It's always been a knock-off, cheaper Reading really. Sorta the point of it. 

I think it's an excellent lineup for the clientele anyway and will probably sell well. Franz is a very astute booking. 

It's just a shame both the headliners are fucking boring. 

Ive always thought of it as a throwback to V 10-15 years ago. As it has the slight pop element that V always used to have then before they went full on pop. V always used to book a few rock/alternative acts and thats what Victorious does too, but their main target audience appears to lean towards the Indie dynamic.

I think they just look at who was popular 10-15 years ago and book them.

Last year Travis subbed, headlined V 16 years before that, Reading 15 years ago and then were due at V 14 years but had to pull out 

Franz subbing this year, subbed V 12 years ago, headlined Reading 11 years ago.

When you look back at these two fests [V and Reading] Im really shocked they haven't gone for Paul Weller or Ashcroft.

Id like to see them try and get The Strokes in next time they're touring if thats possible or are they still too big?

Pixies would be an ideal booking for me too.

34 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Ive always thought of it as a throwback to V 10-15 years ago. As it has the slight pop element that V always used to have then before they went full on pop. V always used to book a few rock/alternative acts and thats what Victorious does too, but their main target audience appears to lean towards the Indie dynamic.

Last year Travis subbed, headlined V 16 years before that, Reading 15 years ago and then were due at V 14 years but had to pull out 

Franz subbing this year, subbed V 12 years ago, headlined Reading 11 years ago.

When you look back at these two fests [V and Reading] Im really shocked they haven't gone for Paul Weller or Ashcroft.

Id like to see them try and get The Strokes in next time they're touring if thats possible or are they still too big?

Pixies would be an ideal booking for me too.

I think The Strokes are still far too big, I think because of the rarity of their live shows over here I'd say Reading would most likely book them again. Plus I imagine their fee is way out of Victorious' budget. 

With you on Ashcroft and Weller, those 2 seem like prime candidates for Victorious. Would have thought Liam Gallagher would be a half decent bet for this as well considering there aren't many UK festivals he would suit these days. 

41 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

I think it also has a lot to do with price. The big older acts they book simply can't command the fees they used to at their peak and Victorious isn't really in a position to do exclusivity deals - so they tend to book headliners who are 'doing the rounds' at a number of festivals that year.

Let's not forget that Travis headlined Glastonbury once as well! 

Edited by rseamer

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty big that Elbow got to number 1 in the charts with their new album, saw Victorious tweet it earlier. 

I didn't realise they were still so 'current'. Are they exclusive at Victorious as well? They haven't been announced as headliner at any other of these mid sized festivals, so I reckon they must be. [I know they might end up at Glasto, but doesn't really matter as they aren't competition]

51 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Pretty big that Elbow got to number 1 in the charts with their new album, saw Victorious tweet it earlier. 

I didn't realise they were still so 'current'. Are they exclusive at Victorious as well? They haven't been announced as headliner at any other of these mid sized festivals, so I reckon they must be. [I know they might end up at Glasto, but doesn't really matter as they aren't competition]

Don't think they're an exclusive, they're doing a bunch of Forest shows all over the country, so it wouldn't serve much purpose. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno if you guys saw this get posted this week but they announced the Beats and Swing stage 

What was interesting was that while Sat and Sun have 10 acts Friday has 6, which kinda gives me hope we are gunna get more than I expected on the Castle stage for Friday. I thought we might just get 3-4 acts but hopefully we might get 5-6 acts now instead.

EDIT - looking at past times, most we will get is 5, surely 4-5 acts on Castle on Friday. I forgot they said it was 6pm-11pm I was thinking it might have started 4 or 5pm. 

beats-n-swing-726x1024.jpg

Edited by luckysalt

6 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Sundara Karma moved to Friday seemingly. 

Damn its annoying they keep improving the undercard when they've booked two shite headliners. 

My mate said the same but can't see it anywhere. If thats the case the Friday is looking pretty tasty!