Skinny lister

cidy

Surely due a return were excellent on avalon stage last time they played.

Due a bigger stage now in my opinion new album is getting rave reviews and the live shows are some of the best gigs I have been too in a very long time.

In a recent interview they were asked what has been the best gig they have played and the answer was glastonbury on the avalon stage ,they have toured relentlessly for years and have built up a huge loyal following and yes that includes me ,reminds me of the Pogues in the early days and seen as the Pogues are unlikely  to ever tour again let alone play glastonbury this band are the closest you wilĺ get to a good night out.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Not a fan then Musky? :lol:

Never seen them live but I love their new album and they're on my list of bands to see.  Either Avalon or Glade for me

I'm not a fan of folk in general really, but I'm generally sanguine about music that isn't to my taste - if I don't like something I move on and listen to something that I do. That's not the reason Skinny Lister are in the unique position of being the only band I actively dislike.

Many years ago I found myself in a pub to watch a night of raw rock'n'roll and Skinny Lister had been shoe horned on to the bill at the last minute. Fair enough and I, like many others in there, took the opportunity stay in the bar and forego the opportunity to watch them. Not good enough for the Stepford Wives that surrounded the band, who decided to harangue everyone and attempt to physically pull people into the band room. Not cool.

I'm sure the band are lovely, but that incident ground my gears and I now go out of my way to avoid them.

Saw the twice on their most recent tour and aiming for three dates in April/May.

I agree - the albums don't do the live shows justice - so much fun and great singalongs.

Ive asked if they'll play Glasto and at present have said they'd like to. 

Fingers crossed they get booked!

Became friends with them at SXSW in Austin last year, they were staying in the same house I was with a mate for a week.

Genuinely lovely people and work so hard, near enough constant touring either supporting or headlining.

Sorry you don't like them musky, but to actively dislike a band? Just avoid them, much easier ;)

On 05/11/2016 at 0:23 AM, Paul ™ said:

Sorry you don't like them musky, but to actively dislike a band? Just avoid them, much easier ;)

Yeah, I know. :)

It wasn't even the bands fault, just over enthusiastic 'helpers'. I should just let it go shouldn't I? :lol:

I'll maybe have to give these another go, a lot of people whose opinion I respect love them but the one occasion when I did see them (Bearded Theory 2015), I thought they were bloody awful and left halfway through.

If anyone else was there, was that an off day or would seeing them again make no difference?

35 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I'll maybe have to give these another go, a lot of people whose opinion I respect love them but the one occasion when I did see them (Bearded Theory 2015), I thought they were bloody awful and left halfway through.

If anyone else was there, was that an off day or would seeing them again make no difference?

If you didn't like them then I don't think you will like them at all. I thought they were on fire for that set, I loved it. I had consumed a fair bit of scrumpy at that point mind.

We used Colours as part of our wedding music. I bumped into Lorna in the avalon bar this year and we had a little chat about it. She was right lovely.

• 5 months later...

Was debating going to see them in Brighton in a few weeks, but definitely going if they're playing Sunday. I see some spectacular clashes coming up! Gig beforehand could help decide, and if I choose something else at least I've caught them on tour

On 06/11/2016 at 10:28 AM, Gnomicide said:

Completely with you on this gnomi. I was at bearded and even though I had seen them before, on a few occasions and walked away, I thought I had better give them another go as so many people seem to think they are the dogs danglies. I too walked away from the set. I shall not waste another minute on them again. I should really learn from my mistakes. But that's life. Not everyone should like the same...that would be boring.

On 11/6/2016 at 10:28 AM, Gnomicide said:

I thought they were bloody awful and left halfway through.

I saw that performance, and am similarly perplexed at the love they are getting. Bloody awful is a tad strong, though. I thought them harmless if a little anodyne (which thinking about it might be even worse). I lasted until the end and they did warm up by close of play - the fellow being carried around the crowd while playing his double bass was quite a hoot, and she can carry a tune. I did weary of them going on and on and on about drinking rum, though. It all seemed a bit affected to me.

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Completely with you on this gnomi. I was at bearded and even though I had seen them before, on a few occasions and walked away, I thought I had better give them another go as so many people seem to think they are the dogs danglies. I too walked away from the set. I shall not waste another minute on them again. I should really learn from my mistakes. But that's life. Not everyone should like the same...that would be boring.

14 minutes ago, sparkythetortoise said:

I saw that performance, and am similarly perplexed at the love they are getting. Bloody awful is a tad strong, though. I thought them harmless if a little anodyne (which thinking about it might be even worse). I lasted until the end and they did warm up by close of play - the fellow being carried around the crowd while playing his double bass was quite a hoot, and she can carry a tune. I did weary of them going on and on and on about drinking rum, though. It all seemed a bit affected to me.

Thanks both. That confirms it, I won't bother trying again.

On 21/04/2017 at 9:02 PM, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Thought this was going to be about Red Dwarf

I saw an MC once announce them saying he had to work really hard to not introduce them as "Fat Rimmer"

4 hours ago, sparkythetortoise said:

I  the fellow being carried around the crowd while playing his double bass was quite a hoot

He's left now too.