Goldfrapp

TheBurns

• 4 months later...

Saw Goldfrapp in Cambridge last night had a great time, although the sound could have been a bit louder

Got a bit concerned at the start when she didn't sing the opening bars of Utopia, but not to worry she sang the high notes in the rest of the song, and hasn't lost it at all from what I could tell

It was a really cracking set - they still play a lots of the old hits (Train, Utopia, Lovely Head, Blackherry, Strict Machine - still no Crystalline Green though but never mind)

The new stuff sounded absolutely ace in my opinion, seems to be a return to the first couple of albums from what I have heard so far, cant wait for the new album to come out next week, I reckon its going to be a belter

Almost nailed on for Glasto I reckon, free that weekend, a few festivals lined up already and have said there are several more festivals to be announced.

They would be ace as a Park headliner or JP headliner. Superb the last time they played West Hols in 2014

On 04/11/2016 at 7:18 AM, eFestivals said:

nope, just her. Matey doesn't seem to do live anymore (he wasn't part of their last Glasto show).

I'm sure he made an appearance at recent tour when they last played Manchester Albert Hall???

2014 was amazing but probably won't watch them at Glastonbury if they do play as they are playing Bluedot a few weeks later

1 minute ago, sunnydaysblue said:

Was tempted to go Blue dot but I'm guessing most of the acts will be at Glastonbury (I'm hoping)

I was going there regardless of lineup as like the venue and all the science stuff they do, been doing the monthly payment plan

most likely bands will pop up at Glastonbury but least takes a clash out for me, Underworld was perfect example last year as Friday clash hell was bad enough lol

18 minutes ago, sunnydaysblue said:

I was there in 2014 too  - was excellent. Would you recommend the new album? I would see again clash dependent.

The new album doesn't get released until next week, but the new songs they have released so far, Anymore and Ocean are great and a few of the new ones they played live last night sounded absolutely superb. As I said, it seems to be back to the early albums rather than the poppy, then slowies from later albums.... I liked the later albums as well but there really is a wonderful catalogue of songs there now. Can't wait

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

She deffo mimed last time, if that's yer buzz.

I don't think there is any miming, why do you think that? The backing vocalist on keyboards also has a cracking voice, very in tune with Alison's so is that why you think she might be miming because their voices can sometimes sound as if it is an Alison backing track?

On 23/03/2017 at 0:01 AM, Wooderson said:

I'm all about the bonhomie on here so won't belabor it either way. I'm a longtime fan of Alison's, she's ace. Something fishy about vocals in '14 is all.

I thought so too.  I thought she was maybe using a voice tuner thingy.  Like you say though something odd about the delivery.

55 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

A game of two halves.  The new stuff fell pretty flat with the crowd, but the classics - at least, the ones that I knew - packed quite a lot of wallop.  The place was fair rocking by the time that they dropped Ooh La La.

was will part of the on-stage band?

I know he wasn't part of the lives shows they did in 2014.

New album is _recorded_ just beautifully. A treat to my ears at least.

In an understated way, Alison has put out a discog that almost uniquely consistent yet has shifted style, theme and emphasis throughout her career. Granted she made some coin with a couple pop bangerz, but stuff like "Become the One" for example puts her in a different league. Can picture some of the globe-straddling ladbands (U2, 'Mode to name but two) going FFS when they hear the newie. Fantastic stuff.

Loving the new album, it's a throw back to Black cherry, which is their best album in my opinion. Alison's vocals are sounding great and Wills synth compositions sound ace. They always play a great mixture of hits and newbies at their gigs, as they did last week. It's going to sound superb in the tent this year. 

No sign of Will anywhere but i haven't seen him at any of their gigs for years. The rest of the band sounded ace and their is a cracking balance/contrast between the bass and synths and Alison's stunning vocals

They really have a cracking catalogue of songs now

• 2 months later...