East family CV field or West CV field

Julie63

We are hiring a campervan and there will be me (53), my daughter (27), her fella (40) and my 2 teenage kids (14 and 15). I have done Glasto in the past for not for the last 9 years. I had decided that West was probably best for us as far as being small, quiet and safe(?). I appreciate its a festival but I can't function without some sleep. On sale day West had gone so I got East Family field. A couple of days later my daughter saw they were back on sale and got one in West. We want to hand one back asap but I'm unsure which is best. I want the kids to have a degree of freedom and maybe stay out after I'm in bed. I emailed the Gladto helpline and got the following reply   The facilities are the same, the family fields on the East side are the nearest to the entrance; which makes them a similar distance to the West fields.

Ive seen posts on the Glasto FB page saying that anyone is let into the family fled, but then others saying there has never been a designated family field ticket in the past. Any help appreciated

5 hours ago, Julie63 said:

We are hiring a campervan and there will be me (53), my daughter (27), her fella (40) and my 2 teenage kids (14 and 15). I have done Glasto in the past for not for the last 9 years. I had decided that West was probably best for us as far as being small, quiet and safe(?). I appreciate its a festival but I can't function without some sleep. On sale day West had gone so I got East Family field. A couple of days later my daughter saw they were back on sale and got one in West. We want to hand one back asap but I'm unsure which is best. I want the kids to have a degree of freedom and maybe stay out after I'm in bed. I emailed the Gladto helpline and got the following reply   The facilities are the same, the family fields on the East side are the nearest to the entrance; which makes them a similar distance to the West fields.

Ive seen posts on the Glasto FB page saying that anyone is let into the family fled, but then others saying there has never been a designated family field ticket in the past. Any help appreciated

Designated East family tickets are new this year, so things are a bit uncertain for how it'll work, but it's likely they'll still be the ones nearest the gate. In previous years you merely had to say you wanted the family fields to get directed that way (no kids required).

The fields tend to be mostly quiet, without blaring soundsystems - tho you might get unlucky with a noisy neighbour (or worse, noisy with dreadful music taste :P ).

More likely, perhaps, to aurally irritate is the noise from the site during the night, as it's near-ish the south east corner that has the thru-the-night stuff. It can be loud enough to bug you when trying to get to sleep, even in a campervan. A sort-of drone of lots of different noises. It doesn't really get properly quiet until that shuts down around 6am.

I]'#ve not stayed in West tho i know there's less noisy stuff towards West, but there is Arcadia over that way - which is loud when it fires its burners

Perhaps a better way to decide is to look at a sitemap and see which is likely to be nearer to the places you're likely to spend your time, as if you got that badly wrong you'd be spending a lot of time walking right across the site.

As Neil says, it's worth thinking about where you tend to find yourself at various times. I tend to gravitate towards the areas on the East side - Avalon, Acoustic, Williams Green, West Holts, Cabaret etc. That's not to say that I don't visit the rest of the site, I do get to cover most of it, it's just that these are the places I tend to go to when I first go in in the morning and where I usually find myself at the end of the night before heading back to the van. That means PGC and East for me, but each to their own :)  The young 'uns might end their days at Arcadia or Silver Hayes so West might be better. (Having said that they've got younger legs so let 'em walk!! ) :D

I have been in CV East for a number of years and similarly spend more time in those areas mentioned above... so find it quite handy..

Regards the overnight noise and getting some sleep, i tend to get back to the van about 1 or 2 am and use the type of soft earplugs that you get on flights... although i am usually so pissed that i wake in the morning to find one up my nose and the other has been mistaken for a wine gum and eaten.. i dont have trouble sleeping.

Never had any troublesome neighbours tbh... we always look to get there on the tuesday and getting chummy with the neighbours is very easy to do..

Thanks guys. That's useful. Hard to say where I'll end up at the end of the night, and even harder to say where the rest of our crew will end up. My priority is getting at least some sleep, but that's not a priority for the rest. I think earplugs and take a chance may be the answer! Glastonbury  9 years ago was a very different place I think. Post 11 o'clock there wasn't a lot official going on and we just went back to a tent and chatted/drank etc