• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

That's probably why it's not for me.

The marmite of festivals I think.

Not sure about that to be honest.

Having been to a lot of the mainstream festivals (or whatever you want to call them) Boomtown blows them out the water. If you go to festivals purely for big name bands then yeah it's not for you.

If you go to festivals for an experience, to immerse yourself then this festival is a must. It's one of the few events that deserves the description of a "festival". Most others are just gigs in a field. Its the most creative on the festival scene. 

Saying that I'm not a massive fan of the line ups, other than a handful of acts. But you really don't need more than a handful at a proper festival. 

56 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

The marmite of festivals I think.

To be honest, I'm not sure I 'get' it either. Not sure if I'm missing something, or it's just a case of having to attend to understand it? I do think that the lineup is okay though. Had reports from pals who say it's kinda part and parcel to dabble with harder drugs, so not really sure it's my thing.

I don't think I get it either. It's one thing to say that it's not all about the music, fine, but surely it should be a bit more about the music than acts the size of Skindred on the 3rd line when it's £200 a ticket? 

Edit: sorry, just had a look back and looks like this has pretty much been discussed already. Ignore me.

Edited by Odessa

5 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

To be honest, I'm not sure I 'get' it either. Not sure if I'm missing something, or it's just a case of having to attend to understand it? I do think that the lineup is okay though. Had reports from pals who say it's kinda part and parcel to dabble with harder drugs, so not really sure it's my thing.

Well yes for that money I'd want acts topping bigger than what they have, yes there is a lot of production but The Specials, MIA and Cypress Hill are not expensive to book.

Oh I can tell without being told that it's a drug fest, it's description as a bigger Shangri-la says that all over and that isn't for me in any circumstances. Biggest waste of space and money for me but that's my view.

7 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Much like Glastonbury, if you've not been you don't get why it's different to other fests. It's more about the whole thing than it is the acts on the line-up.

I think that line-up isn't as good as previous ones have been, and it feels a little bit like they're running out of ideas other than to go bigger with the DJ stuff - tho there's plenty there still, particularly if the dancey stuff is your bag.

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Much like Glastonbury, if you've not been you don't get why it's different to other fests. It's more about the whole thing than it is the acts on the line-up.

I think that line-up isn't as good as previous ones have been, and it feels a little bit like they're running out of ideas other than to go bigger with the DJ stuff - tho there's plenty there still, particularly if the dancey stuff is your bag.

I think they're slightly hampered by the limitations of the genres they heavily push. I think we'll find the big reggae acts will be on rotation going forward.

13 minutes ago, mr flow said:

I think they're slightly hampered by the limitations of the genres they heavily push. I think we'll find the big reggae acts will be on rotation going forward.

yeah, i'm well aware of that. In fact, when I interviewed Lak about 4 years ago, he said they'd be dropping the reggae tip then cos they were running out of acts, so in many ways they've done well to keep it going - and I think Ziggy is one they've not had before (tho i've seen him numerous times). Perhaps they'll get Ky-mani next year? :P

33 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

With respect to Glastonbury though, you can at least imagine the sort of lineup you will get the following year and almost total roaming about with alcohol is allowed.

I think with Glastonbury's extensive TV coverage people at home get to see at least a fair glimpse of what you are getting too.

You do also have the option of cancelling for a £20 administration fee, albeit I'd be less inclined now that has increased from £15 which was enough to lose.

16 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

With respect to Glastonbury though, you can at least imagine the sort of lineup you will get the following year and almost total roaming about with alcohol is allowed.

I think with Glastonbury's extensive TV coverage people at home get to see at least a fair glimpse of what you are getting too.

You do also have the option of cancelling for a £20 administration fee, albeit I'd be less inclined now that has increased from £15 which was enough to lose.

if you get what the Boomtown line-up is about, you know what you'll be getting next year no less than you would with Glastonbury.

The alcohol restrictions at Boomtown are a bummer. To be honest I've no idea why they bother with them, given how little drinking goes on compared to other fests.

With stuff on TV, people only get it because it's what they know - so if Boomtown was on TV, i'd get it, but you wouldn't.

You can't cancel boomtown tix as far as I know. But then again you could tout them and make a few quid.

The only thing here is that you're trying to talk about something you don't know about. 

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

if you get what the Boomtown line-up is about, you know what you'll be getting next year no less than you would with Glastonbury.

The alcohol restrictions at Boomtown are a bummer. To be honest I've no idea why they bother with them, given how little drinking goes on compared to other fests.

With stuff on TV, people only get it because it's what they know - so if Boomtown was on TV, i'd get it, but you wouldn't.

You can't cancel boomtown tix as far as I know. But then again you could tout them and make a few quid.

The only thing here is that you're trying to talk about something you don't know about. 

Oh I get I don't know about the festival, 100% agree with that.

I'm unsure what the alcohol restrictions are there?, but I do know a couple that went last year and for the amount of alcohol vs substances they did amount to Glastonbury, I can't imagine there being a huge difference.

Hmm, not so sure, BBC show enough on tv for people who haven't been before to at least warrant an interest in going. I have come back and people qho saw interest to on tv have commented on how good it looked but can't afford to go/have time to due to kids etc.

7 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Hmm, not so sure, BBC show enough on tv for people who haven't been before to at least warrant an interest in going. I have come back and people qho saw interest to on tv have commented on how good it looked but can't afford to go/have time to due to kids etc.

the beeb try their best with Glastonbury, but all they still manage to capture are some bands on stages and people walking around.

It means something to those who've been and so can interpret it into being the festival, but i doubt others really get it even if they think it looks good and somewhere they want to go.

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the beeb try their best with Glastonbury, but all they still manage to capture are some bands on stages and people walking around.

It means something to those who've been and so can interpret it into being the festival, but i doubt others really get it even if they think it looks good and somewhere they want to go.

I guess that is an angle, about 5 of my regular friends said to me they'd love to go after seeing it on tv as it looked great, two made it last year but the other 3 have family commitments. 

Hi all,

Realistically, when do we think this year is going to sell out? Trying to gather a group but the usual complaints of money, time off work etc is ringing out and don't particularly want to buy my ticket, end up going alone and then spend most of the festival re pitching my tent due to an anonymous turd being left by my flap. Did Boomtown sell out last year and at what point?

Thanks all.

x