Boomtown Fair 2017

Jamieyorkshire

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, kingbadger said:

Does anyone know if there will be any sort of announcement on set times ahead of the festival? I don't know 95% of the lineup anyway and intend on exploring all of the festival at my own pace with no real plan, but would be nice to know if Beans on Toast or Frank Turner are gonna clash with any of the 3 headliners as they're the only 5 acts I'm 100% wish to see (6 actually, counting Toots as well)!

Both Beans on Toast and Frank Turner are playing on the Sunday and clashes with none of the headliners from the digging I've done

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/12/2017 at 7:52 PM, frostypaw said:

If hell is very huggy and excitable then perhaps? 

The Oxfam stewards I've spoken to loved it. Most of them are first timer student types and a bit muppetty to be honest... but nice folk. Be prepared for kitten herding!

Huggy and excitable? Yeah, I reckon I'll cope OK then. Had to do the odd bit of 'kitten herding' at Glasto when stewarding so prepared for that. I'll bring candy...

On 7/14/2017 at 11:10 AM, philipsteak said:

Last year they split it up, Oxfam doing Downtown, Boomtown's own stewards doing up town. It seemed to work so would guess they will continue with that

Last year was a lot quieter than previous years in terms of dealing with medicals/welfare. Thought it might just have been my shifts and location, but speaking to friends who were on different shifts and right in the thick of it, they said so too. Even the overnight shifts. 

Like the punters, the stewards do skew a bit younger 

Ah, OK that all tallies with other bits I've heard. I'll stop stressing now...

19 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Huggy and excitable? Yeah, I reckon I'll cope OK then. Had to do the odd bit of 'kitten herding' at Glasto when stewarding so prepared for that. I'll bring candy...

That'l work - in extremis you can solve almost any disagreement at Boomtown with a glowstick!

1 hour ago, Davet84 said:

Hopefully they will get with the times and do an app this year, even if you have to pay £5 for it, announcements and set time changes would be much smoother with an app

Anyone you particularly want to know? I might be able to help

Depends on traffic (human) and fitness levels. 

Once you know the routes to take/ avoid you can do it in 15/20 mins I'd say.

kast year from hidden woods to sector 6 in about 10/15, kind of depends on how you cope with the hill. It's up hill in the direction you mention. Give yourself 5 mins to get up it and have a rest. Short (about 100m) but steep. 

From district 5 take the internal "road" round the outside if in a rush

give yourself at least half hour if you really want to get there for something.

sunday night double these time scales

Hey

So I'm a glasto vet but a boomtown virgin.  We didn't make the ticket sales this year for glasto (gutted!) so we decided to get tickets to boomtown instead (yay).  We'd heard good things about boomtown - that it's basically the night-time area of glasto in a whole festival, which sounds incredible.  Every year the night time areas at glasto blow our minds.  So needless to say we're all very excited, but also really trying to figure out what we're doing as it's all new.   

I've been reading the posts on this thread and they've been super helpful - thank you so much. 

For those who've been, how does this compare to glasto?  We've heard horror stories about the hill, but other threads saying it takes 20-30 mins between areas which compared to glasto sounds easy peasy.  Also, the alcohol limits were a big shock after glasto - any advice on this? 

And searches - they say they're clamping down every year on searches at glasto but we've yet to be searched once (we're in our 30s and either a couple of mix group in a car) - will we be more likely to be searched at boomtown comparatively?  What are the queues like to get in on Thursday?  What time should we arrive to be sure we're in the queue at a good point to be sure we get a good camping spot?

Camping - where's good to camp?  Not too mental but not too far away/quiet?  Something in between?  The forest raves sound cool - but is the psy forest camping any good?  Would we be better in Barrio Loco for example?

Should we bring wheelbarrows?  We do to glasto for all our gear. 

Are the only showers in zooloos/boomtique?  We don't mind the communal style ones that Greenpeace do at Glasto. 

How do the loos compare?  We're happy with composters/long drops. 

And tent theft in the night?  how common is this?  We know it happens at all festivals, but in general so long as you're not stupid is it relatively ok? 

Sorry that's long...so many questions...there's probably more too. 

29 minutes ago, barbiegirl1 said:

Hey

So I'm a glasto vet but a boomtown virgin.  We didn't make the ticket sales this year for glasto (gutted!) so we decided to get tickets to boomtown instead (yay).  We'd heard good things about boomtown - that it's basically the night-time area of glasto in a whole festival, which sounds incredible.  Every year the night time areas at glasto blow our minds.  So needless to say we're all very excited, but also really trying to figure out what we're doing as it's all new.   

I've been reading the posts on this thread and they've been super helpful - thank you so much. 

For those who've been, how does this compare to glasto?  We've heard horror stories about the hill, but other threads saying it takes 20-30 mins between areas which compared to glasto sounds easy peasy.  Also, the alcohol limits were a big shock after glasto - any advice on this? It's a bit like Glastonbury in he old days as it's got a charm and magic, whilst still being a little rough around the edges. It's not as big as Glastonbury, but the hill and steps are hard work. You can do a loop around everywhere in less than an hour though including the hill. In terms of the alcohol limit, they do enforce it, but if you are trying to smuggle in spirits, stick them in a sleeping bag or something and you should be ok.

And searches - they say they're clamping down every year on searches at glasto but we've yet to be searched once (we're in our 30s and either a couple of mix group in a car) - will we be more likely to be searched at boomtown comparatively?  What are the queues like to get in on Thursday?  What time should we arrive to be sure we're in the queue at a good point to be sure we get a good camping spot? Searches do take place on most punters, and you also have sniffer dogs at entrances too. Obviously, the dogs can't work all the time so you might be lucky, but be prepared. Queues on Thursday morning will be quite large, but will quieten down throughout he day. If you're not fussed where you camp, then i wouldn't worry about being there first thing on Thursday.

Camping - where's good to camp?  Not too mental but not too far away/quiet?  Something in between?  The forest raves sound cool - but is the psy forest camping any good?  Would we be better in Barrio Loco for example? Depends really. It's not too big to really be that much of a ball ache where you camp. If you want to go to sleep before 4am, don't camp near any stages. General rule is it's more rowdy camping downtown, but not sure if that's still the case.

Should we bring wheelbarrows?  We do to glasto for all our gear. if you have a lot of gear then yes.

Are the only showers in zooloos/boomtique?  We don't mind the communal style ones that Greenpeace do at Glasto. Not sure

How do the loos compare?  We're happy with composters/long drops. I'd say they're better than Glastonbury

And tent theft in the night?  how common is this?  We know it happens at all festivals, but in general so long as you're not stupid is it relatively ok? Like every festival, first night you'll get opportunist thieves, but it's no worse than anywhere else. Just be sensible and don't leave money around or things in your tent that are valuable 

See above. I can't answer all but have answered all i can :) 

Enjoy your first Boomtown though, it's a really good festival!

7 hours ago, barbiegirl1 said:

Hey

For those who've been, how does this compare to glasto?  We've heard horror stories about the hill, but other threads saying it takes 20-30 mins between areas which compared to glasto sounds easy peasy.  Also, the alcohol limits were a big shock after glasto - any advice on this? 

And searches - they say they're clamping down every year on searches at glasto but we've yet to be searched once (we're in our 30s and either a couple of mix group in a car) - will we be more likely to be searched at boomtown comparatively?  What are the queues like to get in on Thursday?  What time should we arrive to be sure we're in the queue at a good point to be sure we get a good camping spot?

Camping - where's good to camp?  Not too mental but not too far away/quiet?  Something in between?  The forest raves sound cool - but is the psy forest camping any good?  Would we be better in Barrio Loco for example?

Should we bring wheelbarrows?  We do to glasto for all our gear. 

Are the only showers in zooloos/boomtique?  We don't mind the communal style ones that Greenpeace do at Glasto. 

How do the loos compare?  We're happy with composters/long drops. 

And tent theft in the night?  how common is this?  We know it happens at all festivals, but in general so long as you're not stupid is it relatively ok? 

Regarding the hill : there's a few ways of going up the hill. There is the very steep energetic get it over quickly route (if you look at the map and draw a line from barrio loco to whistlers green) steps.

There is the easier and entertaining route from Chinatown up through Mayfair into town centre or there is a pretty much the same grade slope through Halfway Woods that kind of starts between Chinatown and wandering words and comes out by tribe of frog venue in trees. (This route isn't on some maps I've seen)

We have done all three. No preference. 

Camping, whilst walking around the site I never saw any camp sites that were full. So I wouldn't stress about not finding a pitch in which ever site you decide on. 

Searches, we were not searched at all last year going into family camping, wasn't luck, just a confused entrance at the time we entered. However we did leave to meet a band and on return as we walked past wristband check and around the corner a dog came bounding over and had a good sniff at me. Much to the amusement of my teenager. You couldn't see dogs waiting so be mindful of this at the entrance, they hide. That was Friday late morning. 

Toilets were fine. 

No idea on showers or tent thefts as we were in caravan.