Boomtown Fair 2017

Jamieyorkshire

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, carreg_cennen said:

Has anyone used the reserved camping areas ? are they in a quietish part of the site? as it would be nice to get a few hours kip for a change after being kept awake all night at bearded theory this year :wacko: (we're old farts who need our beauty sleep)

good luck with that at boomtown

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:21 AM, carreg_cennen said:

Has anyone used the reserved camping areas ? are they in a quietish part of the site? as it would be nice to get a few hours kip for a change after being kept awake all night at bearded theory this year :wacko: (we're old farts who need our beauty sleep)

When you say reserved camping areas, do you mean Boomtique? If yes, then it's certainly quieter than the general areas

On 6/8/2017 at 9:21 AM, carreg_cennen said:

Not been since 2015, but if the reserved camping (where they have grid of tent pitches) is in the same place near Old Town then it is in a relatively quieter area compared to the busier Downtown campsites, but as always it depends on your neighbours.

Edited by tjamest

17 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Update on Boomtown searches post terrorism - exactly as bonkers as before.

Probably. This isn't official, but seriously....

Hampshire Polis will be ordering extra rubber gloves. Each year the searches get more ridiculous. They really give the impression that they don't like the people who go to boomtown

I'm pretty sure they don't. Praying each time they'll lighten the fuck up and focus more on dealers - get in folk like the Loop too and encourage especially the more easily scared youngers that they can ask for help without immediately getting shat on from a great height.

Still very excited :D can't wait to see what they've been up to

13 hours ago, frostypaw said:

I'm pretty sure they don't. Praying each time they'll lighten the fuck up and focus more on dealers - get in folk like the Loop too and encourage especially the more easily scared youngers that they can ask for help without immediately getting shat on from a great height.

Still very excited :D can't wait to see what they've been up to

they do however like raising their arrest figures, and % charged figures. I believe it's a benchmarked performance indicator across Police forces. 

Good to know their motivations are all about looking after the people, isn't it?

This is the reason that no lineup on earth would tempt me back to Boomtown's unique form of russian roulette.

Edited by man next door

6 minutes ago, man next door said:

they do however like raising their arrest figures, and % charged figures. I believe it's a benchmarked performance indicator across Police forces. 

the old bill *LOVE* drugs arrests, as it makes their crime detection figures look great - because it's a detected crime without an associated report of a crime, and therefore has a 100% clear-up rate.

3 hours ago, ConorC said:

First time hearing about this.

So what are the searches like in comparison to other major UK fests?

Bonkers enough to spoil casual users futures with pointless criminal records, but not clever enough to stop a phenomenal number of dealers who are much more professional about it - then they get a lovely captive market who have had their known substances taken away from them, so they can sell them whatever and endanger their lives.

Of course they could chill out and focus exclusively on dealers and harm reduction, but.....

The most ridiculous thing is the drug they're most likely to sniff and stop people with is weed while the easily concealed class A drugs that could do real harm can just go sailing through as they're much more compact and less smelly. It's the most bonkers policy ever when folk who would have just been doing a little weed are knocking back ketamine

5 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Bonkers enough to spoil casual users futures with pointless criminal records, but not clever enough to stop a phenomenal number of dealers who are much more professional about it - then they get a lovely captive market who have had their known substances taken away from them, so they can sell them whatever and endanger their lives.

Of course they could chill out and focus exclusively on dealers and harm reduction, but.....

The most ridiculous thing is the drug they're most likely to sniff and stop people with is weed while the easily concealed class A drugs that could do real harm can just go sailing through as they're much more compact and less smelly. It's the most bonkers policy ever when folk who would have just been doing a little weed are knocking back ketamine

I hadn't really thought about it in that way, but yes you are absolutely right

16 hours ago, frostypaw said:

So essentially you can't bring in weed but class A's are sound. :lol:

On 2017-6-14 at 10:03 AM, ConorC said:

So essentially you can't bring in weed but class A's are sound. :lol:

It's definitely doable, just not a breeze. The folk who get caught aren't the 30 somethings who've been doing festivals for years and know the routine, it's the teenagers without the practise and the tricks :/ precisely the vulnerable ones that might not know when to stop with whatever they end up buying in the festival instead.

1 hour ago, manxboba said:

Just got my eticket and it mentions the drink restrictions on there.

How thorough do they usually enforce this?
Only 16 cans or 3 litres of wine isnt alot for a weekend so it sounds like it will get expensive buying all the drink at the bars!! 

If you read over the Boomtown threads I think that the consensus is that they do check and lots of booze gets discarded/drunk in the entry queue.

Just a note for anyone thinking of getting a ticket from someone else:

Names on Tickets
The name on your ticket must match the name on your ID. You can update the names on your tickets by logging into your account. (https://www.theticketsellers.co.uk/your_account/) Please do this before you print your tickets and you will be resent this email with the correct details. Names can be changed a maximum of three times. If you see (MD) on your ticket, it means Missing Data - please log in to add it.

ID/Age Policy
ID will be checked on the gates. If you are under 18 and have bought an Adult ticket, you will not get in. Unaccompanied children & teens (13-17) cannot enter the festival. Please read about our Age Policy and accepted ID here.

Is anyone else tentatively excited about the new character thing? Hoping this is planned better than the characters at Secret Cinema Moulin Rouge, which were a total bust.

I've decided to be Bessie "Bare-Knuckle" Black from Oldtown. It was a tough choice between that and a Mayfair Avenue w*nker.

Hey first time going boomtown, i unfortunately turn 18 two weeks after the festival and so am having to go with a teen ticket.

i am wonderin, is this going to restrict me in many ways once im there ?? are there some stages or venues i wont be allowed into a certain time or do they not really mind ?? are there checks going into different districts ?? i definilty look above 18 so thats a factor

thank you very much for any replies would be great !!

16 hours ago, datkid said:

Hey first time going boomtown, i unfortunately turn 18 two weeks after the festival and so am having to go with a teen ticket.

i am wonderin, is this going to restrict me in many ways once im there ?? are there some stages or venues i wont be allowed into a certain time or do they not really mind ?? are there checks going into different districts ?? i definilty look above 18 so thats a factor

Are you going with a 30+ adult? I'm not sure how strictly they enforce the rules but here they are:

• Teenage ticket holders are welcome in Downtown until 10pm, from when Security will request for under 18s to leave the area and return to the Hilltop.
  • All teen ticket holders must be accompanied by a parent/guardian aged 30 or over, who is responsible for them throughout the duration of the festival.
  •  Whilst we do not expect older children and teenagers to be with their parent or guardian at all times, we do expect them to camp together, and for the child/teenager to know the location of their adult, and have means of contacting them, or agreed meeting points. 
  • ID checks will be carried out at the entry gates for anyone who looks under 18 years old.
  • Challenge 25 operates on all gates as well as all bars.
Edited by Bluebella
added info

On 15/06/2017 at 5:14 PM, manxboba said:

Just got my eticket and it mentions the drink restrictions on there.

How thorough do they usually enforce this?
Only 16 cans or 3 litres of wine isnt alot for a weekend so it sounds like it will get expensive buying all the drink at the bars!! 

Plan wisely, if walking in, get a 20 box, 4 in the queue then 16 in. Stash spirits wisely, an unopened 'water' bottle works wonders.  We often sacrifice a small bottle of half finished booze so they find something and don't search too hard for more. 

Its worked so far 

17 hours ago, datkid said:

You'll be fine.  As long as you aren't a kid security won't be bothered.

Plenty of places to go down the hill if needs be, they can't possibly enforce that.

I guess you may have a different wristband so long sleeved top if you are worried.  If u look older you'll be fine. Worse case scenario, go up top to sector 6

just make sure you explore everywhere when you do get there