Boomtown Fair 2017

Jamieyorkshire

On 15 February 2017 at 9:25 PM, Rylo Chen said:

Hi all,

Realistically, when do we think this year is going to sell out? Trying to gather a group but the usual complaints of money, time off work etc is ringing out and don't particularly want to buy my ticket, end up going alone and then spend most of the festival re pitching my tent due to an anonymous turd being left by my flap. Did Boomtown sell out last year and at what point?

Thanks all.

x

Anyone have an answer for this? In a similar position.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I have. Last year and then couple of years before that. First time my shifts were pretty quiet, but thats only because I was in a quiet spot. For some, especially and unsurprisingly the ones in downtown, it was ridiculously full on  mostly dealing with welfare cases. Last year everyone I spoke too said it was a lot quieter on that front, even overnight. Oxfam were responsible for downtown, and a different company did uptown. My shift patterns were all fine, but I did speak to people who had terrible shifts. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Can we expect much to be added to the line up in the forthcoming months? And if so many bigger names?

Don't get me wrong there is plenty on their that I like and it's already pretty meaty, but never having been before I'm not sure of how big the lineup usually is.

there will be tonnes of smaller acts announced, but most of the big name have already been announced. It tends to be that the first poster they release has all the bigger name acts that are playing and then with each District announcement they add more smaller name acts.

Sector 6 being announced tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, ollie8603 said:

I need to sell my ticket! Does anyone have any idea where I can do this or anyone who needs one? Would sell for less than I bought it for :) 

Try the Boomtown facebook event pages. Twickets, scarlet mist.  Prob have more chance if it's a another sell out. But would have to take a chance waiting for few months. 

3 minutes ago, man next door said:

Is it just me getting old / our of touch, or is the sector 6 announcement not particularly amazing given the size of the festival and the previous importance placed on Sector 6?

Weakest boomtown lineup in years. 

I don't think it's anything weaker. The line-up has always had an awful lot of never-seen-before-and-never-seen-again names on it.

I suspect that plenty of them are the same people using different performing names, as I know that's certainly the case with one of the major boomtown bigwigs who's on the bill (I think he used the same name last year, but a different one other years - i'm on about 'Kaptainisdead' who is also 'AAA Badboy').

Just so it's clear, I'm not screaming 'scam' about that. I presume that the different names also mean a different set content, and the only part that really matters is whether or not the business is done from the stage.

When it comes to playing other people's records as DJs do, it's much like comedians - being a big name doesn't matter much, it's the content that counts.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think it's anything weaker. The line-up has always had an awful lot of never-seen-before-and-never-seen-again names on it.

I suspect that plenty of them are the same people using different performing names, as I know that's certainly the case with one of the major boomtown bigwigs who's on the bill (I think he used the same name last year, but a different one other years - i'm on about 'Kaptainisdead' who is also 'AAA Badboy').

Just so it's clear, I'm not screaming 'scam' about that. I presume that the different names also mean a different set content, and the only part that really matters is whether or not the business is done from the stage.

When it comes to playing other people's records as DJs do, it's much like comedians - being a big name doesn't matter much, it's the content that counts.

I agree with your last statement - the whole superstar DJ thing is an oddity of our times - often being a self fulfilling prophecy as every gets more hyped for big DJ lineups and the place tends to 'go off' more...

Having said that, there are many big name DJs who are very talented, and will cost a few quid. If I was going to boomtown this year, I'd like to see a few more of my pennies spent on a few of the daddies of the scene.  

The problem with boomtown is that I expect more - becasue once you've had to deal with the security, the police presence, the hassle that comes with 50k people getting in and out of the place,the 200 quid ticket, the ridiculous alcohol rules and the inflated bar prices - I'd like the heavy drum and base lineup to look a bit better than a decent sized night down at motion.

28 minutes ago, man next door said:

I'd like the heavy drum and base lineup to look a bit better than a decent sized night down at motion.

But that's exactly what all of boomtown has always been :P

I'm joking there, and yet there's also a strong element of truth about it. Boomtown has never really been about big names, it's always been about the whole creation. 

If/when it's relying on 'names' to get the punters in, that'll probably be Boomtown on its last legs.

19 minutes ago, shaqroger said:

When all sectors are announced will more names be added? like Sector 6 doesn't have that many acts currently after it's announcment

I can't guarantee it of course, but I suspect that's all of the sector 6 stuff - because (I think, I wasn't there last year) it only runs from the evening and thru the night, and where the acts are likely to have 2hrs or so each (in the way DJs tend to).

With Bang Hai closing this year I'd expected Sector 6 to have grown so they were splitting downtown essentially but looks like the same size as last year. I didn't even make it down to Sector 6 last year but will try and make it for the Thursday night at least this year. I'm hoping they will announce some new stages at some point soon, the festival has grown in terms of stages every year, I think they're not increasing capacity this year but with Bang Hai going they've got to have something new planned. Maybe it's just more micro-venues which is no bad thing I guess.

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:35 AM, Macca3031 said:

With Bang Hai closing this year I'd expected Sector 6 to have grown so they were splitting downtown essentially but looks like the same size as last year. I didn't even make it down to Sector 6 last year but will try and make it for the Thursday night at least this year. I'm hoping they will announce some new stages at some point soon, the festival has grown in terms of stages every year, I think they're not increasing capacity this year but with Bang Hai going they've got to have something new planned. Maybe it's just more micro-venues which is no bad thing I guess.

Bang Hai Palace is being replaced with Bang Hai Tower which is a new stage. I'm sure there will be other new smaller stages as well this year too.