Safest festival

Keith Giles Sycamore Ave

15 minutes ago, Keith Giles Sycamore Ave said:

Dear Sir,

Please can you advise me the safest festival to go to? This is for my granddaughter. Please send the answer to me by email.

Regards,

K Giles

Hello,  you haven't put your email, but please don't write it here, as you may get unwanted emails.

I think it depends what age range your granddaughter is and whether they would be accompanied by friends or relatives say?

There are plenty of folks here who have taken young children with them to all sorts of festivals, or others who have been to festivals with their friends from teenage years.

I may be mistaken, but I think most of the well known UK festivals are fairly safe, others will correct me I'm sure.

On 31/10/2016 at 7:59 PM, Keith Giles Sycamore Ave said:

Dear Sir,

Please can you advise me the safest festival to go to? This is for my granddaughter. Please send the answer to me by email.

Regards,

K Giles

:D:D:D

Either the best post Tommmy effort yet or someone ain't figured out the internet yet.

44 minutes ago, clarkete said:

tumblr_inline_nog5m4UVp61ry6czh_400.jpg

Look, he's holding that placard with only one hand. Any self respecting H & S Officer would pull him on that one. It's a well known fact that placards should be held with both hands at all times.

Talking of placards here's one I discovered (and posted here recently) which brought a wry smile to my face.

I'm so angry I mage a sign

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

On 31/10/2016 at 7:59 PM, Keith Giles Sycamore Ave said:

Dear Sir,

Regards,

K Giles

Camp bestival old son Lulworth castle amazing for the kids ...only been once but was amazed by the cleanliness and felt like WE should of had little one even to the point of asking our daughter to drop off our granddaughter lol so we could fit in lol definitely thinking of getting tickets this year as she'll be 4and a half by then ....

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2017 at 11:40 PM, Queen said:

Send her on a flight to Japan and then a bus to Fuji Rock. Seriously the safest festival. Serious.

Hello Queen, or should I say ma'am?  Surely the travel to and across Japan would entail the possibility of something awry happening? There's loads of safe festivals in this country to be starting with. Just saying. 

As an aside, what's the atmosphere like at Fuji Rock? 

Fuji Rock atmosphere is similar to other festivals ambiance-wise, only some of the Japanese really let their hair down there (so to speak). In this case wearing nothing but mawashi (sumo shorts). Everyone also has a bandana worn around the neck or head. Everyone faces the stages so there is no dancing with each other, just dancing in one spot facing the dj (the only exception was when I was very drunk with Jeppe from Junior/Senior and we shocked the audiences by slapping each other on the bottom while freaking to 2 Many Djs.) There are some nooks in crannies where you might see a group of young men dancing crazy, but rarely with mixed genders. Never a single whiff of pot there and every cigarette butt is put into portable ashtrays. No public urination of any sort. No trash of any sort, anywhere. It is difficult to get drunk there because the beer is half head (or in the case of ordering a Guiness 3/4 head). Shower water is from the ice cold river. The promoter (not sure if it is still the same guy) is English and pretty cool. As far as comparing "safe" festivals in this country from those in Japan (including travel to) there is a stark difference. In comparison, every festival in the UK loses without question. Fuji Rock is like a Cbeebies tour compared to let's say End of the Road. Don't even think about Park Life.

17 hours ago, Queen said:

Fuji Rock atmosphere is similar to other festivals ambiance-wise, only some of the Japanese really let their hair down there (so to speak). In this case wearing nothing but mawashi (sumo shorts). Everyone also has a bandana worn around the neck or head. Everyone faces the stages so there is no dancing with each other, just dancing in one spot facing the dj (the only exception was when I was very drunk with Jeppe from Junior/Senior and we shocked the audiences by slapping each other on the bottom while freaking to 2 Many Djs.) There are some nooks in crannies where you might see a group of young men dancing crazy, but rarely with mixed genders. Never a single whiff of pot there and every cigarette butt is put into portable ashtrays. No public urination of any sort. No trash of any sort, anywhere. It is difficult to get drunk there because the beer is half head (or in the case of ordering a Guiness 3/4 head). Shower water is from the ice cold river. The promoter (not sure if it is still the same guy) is English and pretty cool. As far as comparing "safe" festivals in this country from those in Japan (including travel to) there is a stark difference. In comparison, every festival in the UK loses without question. Fuji Rock is like a Cbeebies tour compared to let's say End of the Road. Don't even think about Park Life.

Hello Queen,

Thanks for the extensive response and further information on Fuji Rock. I'm not familiar with End of the Road or Park Life, but do know that there are festivals in this country which are very safe and family friendly. Probably the best example that I could give (ie I've been there for a few years) would be Shambala, where adults and children get along just nicely and there are no yobs or even the slightest scintilla of moodiness. The same can be said of the other festivals that I have attended. In fact, the worst festival that I have been to in this country for moodiness and a sense of danger is actually Glastonbury, but that was before the Super fence went up.

Apart from the above, Fuji Rock does, on the evidence that you provide, seem to be very 'sanitised'. The short measured alcohol would be a problem for me. Can you bring in your own drink to the festival? :)

On 04/02/2017 at 5:17 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick II said:

Shambala, where adults and children get along just nicely and there are no yobs or even the slightest scintilla of moodiness.

I met some right pricks at Shambala this year, lots of self-entitled behaviour and smug--righteous attitudes.  Some dude was openly incredulous at her and me doing shots of tequila at 4pm in the afternoon ("bit early for that sort of thing" sort of thing) to get over our early work shift.

1 hour ago, jfaragher said:

I met some right pricks at Shambala this year, lots of self-entitled behaviour and smug--righteous attitudes.  Some dude was openly incredulous at her and me doing shots of tequila at 4pm in the afternoon ("bit early for that sort of thing" sort of thing) to get over our early work shift.

I understand what you are saying but the topic being discussed was 'safety'. If these pricks had decided to hit you or rob you because you were drinking at 4pm in the afternoon then I'd take back my comment about the festival's safety. You just happened to come across some very unusual festival goers. I'd actually welcome the chance to camp alongside such folk. They'd probably have a collective coronary when they saw me and my wife starting to drink at 8am, having been drinking until the wee hours before then to begin with. 

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

On 06/02/2017 at 5:39 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

... me and my wife starting to drink at 8am, having been drinking until the wee hours before then to begin with. 

Shurley that's one of the pleasures of a festival that! First thing gins. Breakfast wine. Cocktail elevenses. Not to mention anything else to help you out of the tent in the first place!

6 hours ago, semmtexx said:

Shurley that's one of the pleasures of a festival that! First thing gins. Breakfast wine. Cocktail elevenses. Not to mention anything else to help you out of the tent in the first place!

I couldn't agree more. At most festivals we start with bucks fizz as soon as we get up, and then it's on to the G & T's. We can only do the bucks fizz when using the campervan though, and not at Glastonbury because of it's no glass policy and because we camp with our friends there. All very civilized as far as I'm concerned. I think that the people jfaragher met were obviously from hoi polloi stock.

15 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I couldn't agree more. At most festivals we start with bucks fizz as soon as we get up, and then it's on to the G & T's. We can only do the bucks fizz when using the campervan though, and not at Glastonbury because of it's no glass policy and because we camp with our friends there. All very civilized as far as I'm concerned. I think that the people jfaragher met were obviously from hoi polloi stock.

Re: glasto and bucks fizz. I've repeatedly tried, and failed, to find fizzy wine in a can. That would be quite a treat for glasto! 

I also do so love a G&T. Cheers dear fellow!

8 hours ago, semmtexx said:

Re: glasto and bucks fizz. I've repeatedly tried, and failed, to find fizzy wine in a can. That would be quite a treat for glasto! !

Apparently there has been some examples of fizzy wine in a can out there in the past. People off this site have found them in either Aldi or Lidl (they weren't sure which one), Sainsbury's, and BM stores. However, this was going back a few years, so not sure if that information still holds true. I did once find a supplier abroad who would send them by the crate, but when adding on shipping costs it proved to be prohibitably expensive. No doubt they'll be a big discussion on the subject closer to the date of the festival.

Love how this thread has gone from safety at festivals to booze in the mornings.

my morning tipple upgraded its self to desperados this year. The pint cans. Such a treat.

edit to note who the duece were them goons at shambala squaffing at 4pm tequilas?!? Is that for real? 4pm tequillas are what festivals are about. Well they are now for me :-)

Edited by Perks
To slam shambala goons

1 hour ago, Perks said:

Love how this thread has gone from safety at festivals to booze in the mornings.

my morning tipple upgraded its self to desperados this year. The pint cans. Such a treat.

edit to note who the duece were them goons at shambala squaffing at 4pm tequilas?!? Is that for real? 4pm tequillas are what festivals are about. Well they are now for me :-)

My own personal shout out goes out to my breakfast of champions discovered last year of White Russians )everything you need in a breakfast). Washed down with some "liquid bread" (strong homebrew irish red ale) 

13 hours ago, donthaveacoolname said:

My own personal shout out goes out to my breakfast of champions discovered last year of White Russians )everything you need in a breakfast). Washed down with some "liquid bread" (strong homebrew irish red ale) 

We need to be camp neighbours. Me dad gives me his cousins home brewed poitin in a hispflask (it comes over on the boat in water bottles!) every festival I go to. It's very popular at bearded theory, but doesn't get as many takers at Glastonbury.. The older festival goer is more party to have a go! As for the White Russian drink, I've never had one! Is it baileys and vodka? I must give it a go though if a good man like yourself is saying it's the breakfast of champions. Although desperadoes are a good contender

8 hours ago, Perks said:

We need to be camp neighbours. Me dad gives me his cousins home brewed poitin in a hispflask (it comes over on the boat in water bottles!) every festival I go to. It's very popular at bearded theory, but doesn't get as many takers at Glastonbury.. The older festival goer is more party to have a go! As for the White Russian drink, I've never had one! Is it baileys and vodka? I must give it a go though if a good man like yourself is saying it's the breakfast of champions. Although desperadoes are a good contender

Mmmmmmm poitun, that will put hair on your chest....

For the white Russians I put a bottle of kahula and bottle of vodka in a large bottle and mix that mixture 1/2 and 1/2 with milk, everything you need for breakfast, milk, coffee, sugar, alcohol 

On 06/02/2017 at 5:39 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I understand what you are saying but the topic being discussed was 'safety'. If these pricks had decided to hit you or rob you because you were drinking at 4pm in the afternoon then I'd take back my comment about the festival's safety. You just happened to come across some very unusual festival goers.

Good point, well made.  I enjoyed Shambala, but I did find it all a bit twee on occasion to be honest.  

I'm definitely taking White Russians to Glasto this year though - amazing idea - I will aim to channel The Dude as much as possible.