Liam Fray slams classist snobs who criticise northern fans

Alan_C

When push comes to shove, The Courteeners are the sort of band Chris Moyles plays on Radio X to flex his indie cred.

He was actually banging on about the Courteeners a few weeks back. He said 'my favourite is Not 19 Forever, I love it'. Then the annoying woman (fairplay) replied 'what's your second favourite?' That shut him up (and I turned off - again).

Edited by Homer

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

I, like many Southerners like many Northern bands, however, i like most Southerners think that the Courteeners are bad.

I think  the reason that they are more popular in the North is that they are more relatable to Northerners, rather than anything classist, if it were to do with people being classist then how can you explain the rise in popularity of Grime across the entire country?

He's not saying it's classist that people don't like them as much down south. He's saying that certain sections make out their fans are naive Northern idiots and that there are 'sneery classist undertones' because of a working class following.

I'm sure there's a classist undertone when it comes to dismissing rap music, a racist one too. It obviously won't come from the music press the same as it does for Courteeners because Skepta is a critical darling right now and actually quite popular with middle-class young Britons. :lol:

I'm from Manchester and I loved the courteeners... until they gave United not 19 forever, thus ruining their greatest song for me. I saw them around 13 times in my youth and look back on a lot of it fondly now but most the songs aren't to my taste now, how good it was is the last song I really enjoyed by them.

21 hours ago, stuwilky said:

Confession time.  I really like the Courteeners.  I think, particularly live, they are great.  :ph34r:

I've seen them twice at Glastonbury, 2010 on my honeymoon in the blistering sunshine, and 2013, enjoyed both sets immensely.

I love the first album but their albums, especially the lyrics, have gotten progressively worse as they've gone on, how they've made it to album number 5 is beyond me.

My biggest issue is their lack of identity, trying to be too many things at once with the newer songs and failing at it. Also the fact they are happy being "the Kings of Manchester", the amount of times they play homecoming gigs on a tour cycle is a joke. 7 nights at the 02 Apollo last year FFS, even to us northerners outside of Manchester (I'm from Hull) that's taking the piss.

You did it.....you made me quote carl sagan......north? south?....yeah?....what galaxy? 

Point is we`re all the fucking same, we all crawled out of the same pile of dinosaur jizz (primordial soup) and no matter if your from the north of this tiny country, on this tiny region, of this tiny planet, of this tiny solar system, of this tiny galaxy.........you still wont find many people who wouldnt punch chris martin in the head given the chance.....

14718845_10153946696336680_313892009788960683_n.jpg

Edited by waterfalls212434

29 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

You did it.....you made me quote carl sagan......north? south?....yeah?....what galaxy? 

Point is we`re all the fucking same, we all crawled out of the same pile of dinosaur jizz (primordial soup) and no matter if your from the north of this tiny country, on this tiny region, of this tiny planet, of this tiny solar system, of this tiny galaxy.........you still wont find many people who wouldnt punch chris martin in the head given the chance.....

14718845_10153946696336680_313892009788960683_n.jpg

Fucking stupid yank can't spell 'harbour'.