Liam Fray slams classist snobs who criticise northern fans

Alan_C

13 hours ago, Woffy said:

Rees Mogg probably looks down on Cicero - who was more than capable of being a pompous, priggish c**t himself - as having been a novus homo. 

I wrote my dissertation on Cicero half a lifetime ago.  This comment tickled me greatly.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I thought that house was owned by a charitable trust, who raised the money via public donations to save it from demolition? 

Isn't the government preserving buildings like that a good thing?

All I'm hearing here is "I love the Tories so much". I'm shocked.

34 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I thought that house was owned by a charitable trust, who raised the money via public donations to save it from demolition? 

Isn't the government preserving buildings like that a good thing?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08809187/officers

Eh, seems like it could be dodgy. The directors include  

'CAVENDISH, Peregrine Andrew Morny, The Duke Of Devonshire Kc Vo Cbe Dl'

and

'NAYLOR LEYLAND, Philip Vyvian, Sir'

collectively worth £1 billion +.

I hope my Nan turned her heating off for a couple nights and sent them a tenner. 

On 02/12/2016 at 0:41 PM, Zac Quinn said:

Bit like yer man Nigel Farage the other day saying he feels unsafe in the volatile political atmosphere he's primarily responsible for. If Fray didn't make music for imbeciles he wouldn't have to play gigs to imbeciles. No sympathy.

Agreed. Liam Fray has moulded himself on Liam Gallagher. Its all about the swagger, acting like billy big bollocks and songs that are yelled rather than sung. Its inevitable that it would attract bell ends.

Also having read these articles I was myself going to draw the comparison with UKIP.

I've just read the courteeners wiki page. Apparently whilst unsigned they were approached by "producer Stephen Street of Blur, The Smiths..fame" they then signed to a major record label (Polydor) and released a debut album which got to number 4 in the album charts. They've subsequently had a stack of charting singles and albums.

All of this begs the question; what machine are they raging against? They are very firmly part of the (music industry) establishment yet here he is whining about how everybody is out to get him. Just like anti-establishment ex-investment banker Nigel or Billionaire Donald Trump. And just like UKIP they're successfully spinning this 'us vs them' motif to legions of bandwagon jumping imbeciles with a lack of any ability to think critically.

And if they're mad that they get the odd 1 star review in the guardian then they need to listen to themselves. They're hardly reinventing the wheel. Its tedious pub rock. They're a poor mans chumbawamba.

33 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Agreed. Liam Fray has moulded himself on Liam Gallagher. Its all about the swagger, acting like billy big bollocks and songs that are yelled rather than sung. Its inevitable that it would attract bell ends.

Also having read these articles I was myself going to draw the comparison with UKIP.

I've just read the courteeners wiki page. Apparently whilst unsigned they were approached by "producer Stephen Street of Blur, The Smiths..fame" they then signed to a major record label (Polydor) and released a debut album which got to number 4 in the album charts. They've subsequently had a stack of charting singles and albums.

All of this begs the question; what machine are they raging against? They are very firmly part of the (music industry) establishment yet here he is whining about how everybody is out to get him. Just like anti-establishment ex-investment banker Nigel or Billionaire Donald Trump. And just like UKIP they're successfully spinning this 'us vs them' motif to legions of bandwagon jumping imbeciles with a lack of any ability to think critically.

And if they're mad that they get the odd 1 star review in the guardian then they need to listen to themselves. They're hardly reinventing the wheel. Its tedious pub rock. They're a poor mans chumbawamba.

If you don't think there's any 'us vs. them' going on then you should read your post again dude. They're not speaking out against the music industry, they're speaking out against the sort of people that brand their fans "bandwagon jumping imbeciles with a lack of any ability to think critically".

So thread, now we have people in concurrence that a band should be open to be attacked because they play music that appeals to working class people, can we agree that there's some pretty strong classism in the derision of this band and other bands? :lol:

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

If you don't think there's any 'us vs. them' going on then you should read your post again dude. They're not speaking out against the music industry, they're speaking out against the sort of people that brand their fans "bandwagon jumping imbeciles with a lack of any ability to think critically".

So thread, now we have people in concurrence that a band should be open to be attacked because they play music that appeals to working class people, can we agree that there's some pretty strong classism in the derision of this band and other bands? :lol:

Pipe down in the cheap seats! ;)

12 hours ago, Chawk said:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08809187/officers

Eh, seems like it could be dodgy. The directors include  

'CAVENDISH, Peregrine Andrew Morny, The Duke Of Devonshire Kc Vo Cbe Dl'

and

'NAYLOR LEYLAND, Philip Vyvian, Sir'

collectively worth £1 billion +.

I hope my Nan turned her heating off for a couple nights and sent them a tenner. 

I dunno, I'd never heard of the place until last night..

6 hours ago, dentalplan said:

hang on, dont we mock coldplay and mumford and sons fans for exactly the same thing? And they are all poshos.

Edited by russycarps

7 hours ago, mattiloy said:

I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. He's the son of two English teachers, and was on course for a degree before the band took over. He's obviously pretty well read and anyone without an agenda accepts he's at least a decent lyricist. In interviews he's pretty damn humble. Does any of this sound like LG to you? He's also a much better singer though that's not hard to do.

'Tedious pub rock' - Why is it this band get all of the criticisms which can easily be applied to 99% of other bands, yet which aren't? I suspect dentalplan's point has something to do with it.

Edited by EamerRed

It's not just The Courteeners that get labelled tedious pub rock, though - it's only happening here because this is a thread about the Courteeners.

I don't know the first thing about the bloke, but if he's as middle class as your post implies then that would signify a lot of the criticism of his music not being driven by class prejudice.

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's not just The Courteeners that get labelled tedious pub rock, though - it's only happening here because this is a thread about the Courteeners.

I don't know the first thing about the bloke, but if he's as middle class as your post implies then that would signify a lot of the criticism of his music not being driven by class prejudice.

I'm not sure if what I said makes someone middle class. I have a degree and a decent job and I'm absolutely not middle class :lol:.

I agree on your first point, I should have made myself clearer. I wasn't sticking to that one criticism, it can be any, it just seems that this one seems to be thrown at this band a hell of a lot more than how other criticisms might be applied to other bands.

35 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I think it gets thrown at them more because a lot of their fans try to paint them as a band that are well above that status, being a tedious pub rock band is fine, it serves a purpose and people enjoy it - Kasabian get the same treatment

I love the band, but I thoroughly agree with this.

11 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Class is not relevant to this discussion. I'm from one of the most traditionally working class towns in the North West and in my experience socio-economic background has nothing to do with it. The Courteeners fans I know are simply not really into music. They are into the image. The Courteeners appropriate an image of swagger and bravado. Reading their lyrics they look like they could have been written by any stroppy adolescent 'lad'. Their audience is an inevitable consequence of what they do and if they get bottled by stroppy adolescent lads then..... Why has David Guetta never been bottled off stage? If you go to any working class town in the North on a Saturday night you'll find most clubs blaring out David Guetta on a weekend, his gigs surely have plenty of people from lower socio economic backgrounds at them. Whats the difference?

With the musical universe available at the click of a button then your outdated notion of 'class' is not sufficient excuse to accept whatever rubbish gets put in front of you unless you have no capacity for any kind of free thought whatsoever. If you're into music, you'll seek it out.