Liam Fray slams classist snobs who criticise northern fans

Alan_C

6 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

they are bigger than that, id say 3rd pyramid or other sub nowadays

They lost about half their crowd to the Libertines in 2015 and the other half to the Arctic Monkeys in 2013. So they probably need to be a little fortunate around the clashes this time to ensure they could make it that high up the bill. 

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/09/the-music-snobby-london-critics-love-to-ignore/

:lol::lol:

Don't know where to begin with this. I despise the anti-Northern tint in the press as much as anyone but if there's an anti-indie landfill bias it's because that music is terrible, geography has nothing to do with it. And besides which, Blossoms were literally nominated for the Mercury Prize this year! Jesus christ.

11 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/09/the-music-snobby-london-critics-love-to-ignore/

Don't know where to begin with this. I despise the anti-Northern tint in the press as much as anyone but if there's an anti-indie landfill bias it's because that music is terrible, geography has nothing to do with it. And besides which, Blossoms were literally nominated for the Mercury Prize this year! Jesus christ.

But people call all different things 'landfill indie' while defending their own faves that someone else would term 'landfill indie'. It's just an antiquated insult that doesn't really hold much weight and is usually used only by c**ts.

Edited by dentalplan

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

But people call all different things 'landfill indie' while defending their own faves that someone else would term 'landfill indie'. It's just an antiquated insult that doesn't really hold much weight and is usually used only by c**ts.

Semantic arguments about landfill indie aside, the courteeners are pure turd mind.

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Probably opening Bluebeard's locked room here, but I find it a pretty useful term.  Given indie was formerly an ethos rather than a sonic formula its handy to have a shorthand that allows you to immediately distinguish between, say, Orange Juice and Jake Bugg - without having to actually listen to the latter.

Granted it's a pejorative, but then that's up to the bands themselves to escape the tag by not trading in cliche.

I thought the term indie landfill was a nice easy way of categorizing a lot of the rubbish stuff in the 2000s who are now doing their 10th anniversary tours before they get their costs coffee jobs back*, but someone levelled it at The Cribs on here at some point and the term has now lost all meaning.

*Except 2 of the guys from One Night Only who has gone on to open one of my new favourite bars in Manchester, credit where it's due.

15 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Begin at the beginning:

"Northern bands like the Sherlocks and Blossoms sell out stadiums but London's tastemakers pay no attention to what they call 'landfill indie'". 

Whoa, strong opening gambit!

39 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I thought the term indie landfill was a nice easy way of categorizing a lot of the rubbish stuff in the 2000s who are now doing their 10th anniversary tours before they get their costs coffee jobs back*, but someone levelled it at The Cribs on here at some point and the term has now lost all meaning.

*Except 2 of the guys from One Night Only who has gone on to open one of my new favourite bars in Manchester, credit where it's due.

Yeah that's basically how I see it. At one point it seemed to mean that there was a drastic surplus of bands without much of a shelf life but bands like Courteeners, no matter how shit they are, have obviously broken out of that.

Does seem to get levelled at bands with northern accents a bit more than anyone else though so the author might have a point there.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Probably opening Bluebeard's locked room here, but I find it a pretty useful term.  Given indie was formerly an ethos rather than a sonic formula its handy to have a shorthand that allows you to immediately distinguish between, say, Orange Juice and Jake Bugg - without having to actually listen to the latter.

Granted it's a pejorative, but then that's up to the bands themselves to escape the tag by not trading in cliche.

Surely you don't need a decade old meme to stop you listening to Jake Bugg and the like?

Meme?

The fact that it's a decade old and still firmly relevant as a descriptor of any number of bands today suggests it's not outlived its usefulness.  If it helps me to filter out stuff that won't be for me than I'm happy about it. Someone on here used it to describe The Big Moon so I decided to skip 'em. Saw them on the Mercury Prize show and whoever it was did me a favour.

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

which bar is that?

41 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Meme?

The fact that it's a decade old and still firmly relevant as a descriptor of any number of bands today suggests it's not outlived its usefulness.  If it helps me to filter out stuff that won't be for me than I'm happy about it. Someone on here used it to describe The Big Moon so I decided to skip 'em. Saw them on the Mercury Prize show and whoever it was did me a favour.

It's not particularly relevant though is it? Google it filtered by time and you only hear it used about 2000's bands by peeps that were way too wise to be drawn in to the indie rock revival in the noughties, despite the irony that they were most likely shoulders deep in the Britpop movement which saw similarly disposable outfits come and go.

As for your particular need for it; what good is it when people say to you that some new chancer is "indie landfill" but then you fall into trying out Wolf Alice and Foals when described as the saviours of British rock if they go on the same pile for you? It's always just seemed an excessively snobby term to me really - granted I don't care to the extent of all these words I've written but I've fallen down a rabbit hole.

30 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

It's in the old Roadhouse isn't it, judging by the pics/map?

2 buildings along (so the other side of the martial arts place), used to be a burger type place. I like it, decent music, good beer, and the venue downstairs seems good although I haven't caught anyone there except sneaking in to the end of Otherkin just after it first opened. 

22 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Dental's pissed and itching fer a scrap.

25 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Literally never even heard of this Jimmys, I feel so not trendy. Not been out in Manchester in a while though, 4 nights out in a row I burned through loads of money paying £6+ for a G&T in the bastard Pilcrow. It's like being a London.

Get yourself down to Jimmy's mate. Poetry night's a fooking riot.

3 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Literally never even heard of this Jimmys, I feel so not trendy. Not been out in Manchester in a while though, 4 nights out in a row I burned through loads of money paying £6+ for a G&T in the bastard Pilcrow. It's like being a London.

24 quid then?

The secret is to fuck off somewhere else when you're getting ripped off mate.

Spoons great for getting pissed up, also does wonders for your self esteem.

Until you remember where you are.