Bristol Airport

Cornelius_Fudge

Girlfriend and I need to hotfoot it out of the festival Monday morning to Bristol airport and we wondered how likely it was to be able to take a taxi/coach/bag a lift there.

Has anyone done this before and had good/bad experiences?

Our flight is leaving at 1 pm and we didn't know if it would make sense to rent a car or just see if anyone is going that way in a car etc

If anyone has done this or has driven to the airport after the weekend please let me know how you got on! Thanks :D

If you book a taxi well in advance you should be fine. Id be inclined to just grin and bear the hangover, get up earlier than you need to and just make sure you are at the airport with plenty of time.

When I say book the taxi in advance I mean a couple of weeks before the festival, and then ring them to confirm just before the festival.

I have seen people try to book a taxi on Sunday afternoon to just be told to go to the site taxi rank which I know from experience can be a 4 hour queue.

We had a pretty terrible experience with our taxi this year. 

We had arranged for a 4pm pick up, which we figured would give plenty of time to allow the traffic to clear and give us a free run to the airport in time for our 8pm flight. 4pm comes and goes , no taxi. We try phoning the number numerous times only to be redirected to a voicemail box. 5pm comes and still no taxi.  We eventually managed to get through and speak to someone who says the driver is "stuck in mud" and would be with us ASAP. Half 5 and still no taxi. By this point we've already tried all the local taxi companies who are as you would expect, fully booked. We try our luck with a Bristol Airport taxi company, who send a driver on his way to us. 15 minutes after this our original taxi rocks up, eight the driver claiming "She never told me about the booking" which was a lie, because he dropped us off and agreed to pick us back up. He also never offered any apology or explanation for the controllers' lie about him being stuck in mud. Told him he was too late, and to get away from us immediately (in much less polite terms). The airport taxi turned up soon after, despite not knowing where the WV gate was, and managed to get us to the airport with time to spare for our flight. Needless to say he got a big tip. 

Not exactly the stress free exit from the site we envisaged. 

On 31/10/2016 at 10:27 AM, The Orgazoid said:

. We try our luck with a Bristol Airport taxi company, who send a driver on his way to us. 

Exactly, do this. All the taxi companies local to the festival will be in meltdown mode. Book a Bristol Airport taxi and if you can cope with the ten min walk uphill from Red Gate, ask to be picked up from Pilton Village, away from the chaos...maybe outside the pub.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

On 31/10/2016 at 11:27 AM, The Orgazoid said:

We had a pretty terrible experience with our taxi this year. 

We had arranged for a 4pm pick up, which we figured would give plenty of time to allow the traffic to clear and give us a free run to the airport in time for our 8pm flight. 4pm comes and goes , no taxi. We try phoning the number numerous times only to be redirected to a voicemail box. 5pm comes and still no taxi.  We eventually managed to get through and speak to someone who says the driver is "stuck in mud" and would be with us ASAP. Half 5 and still no taxi. By this point we've already tried all the local taxi companies who are as you would expect, fully booked. We try our luck with a Bristol Airport taxi company, who send a driver on his way to us. 15 minutes after this our original taxi rocks up, eight the driver claiming "She never told me about the booking" which was a lie, because he dropped us off and agreed to pick us back up. He also never offered any apology or explanation for the controllers' lie about him being stuck in mud. Told him he was too late, and to get away from us immediately (in much less polite terms). The airport taxi turned up soon after, despite not knowing where the WV gate was, and managed to get us to the airport with time to spare for our flight. Needless to say he got a big tip. 

Not exactly the stress free exit from the site we envisaged. 

Jeez, this is the exact kind of stress we'd like to avoid. Sounds like a bit of 'mare to say the least. Thanks for the heads up with the taxi company to steer clear of.

On 01/11/2016 at 7:58 PM, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Exactly, do this. All the taxi companies local to the festival will be in meltdown mode. Book a Bristol Airport taxi and if you can cope with the ten min walk uphill from Red Gate, ask to be picked up from Pilton Village, away from the chaos...maybe outside the pub.

I don't know what kind of state we'll be come Monday morning but a ten minute walk shouldn't be too bad, especially if there's a nice pub open for breakfast when we get there. Cheers for the advice guys!