Best Kept Secret 2017

alan_ts

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Al2006 said:

Anyone grab the OKNOTOK cd that was accidentally on sale?

Still find that a strange story. Why would they even bring a box of those cd's with them? Hope they sell it tomorrow.

Oh and it better don't get leaked by one of the lucky buyers. Don't piss them off :p.

Edited by TheKiewitGuy

Any review from the veterans? I'm waiting to give mine; overall a great festival but overcrowded and queues for everything. I've never be able to enter stage two because of the people overpacked.

40 minutes ago, alan_ts said:

Any review from the veterans? I'm waiting to give mine; overall a great festival but overcrowded and queues for everything. I've never be able to enter stage two because of the people overpacked.

Another great festival. First of the four that I've been to where it didn't rain, which was a plus.

I never had a problem getting into Stage Two, but maybe I arrived earlier.

The queues were a bit longer for drinks than normal. I put that down to the 'cashless' payment system, which they tell us is for our convenience, but actually it's for theirs. The wristband chips were quicker last year. Or maybe people just drank more because it was warm?

Only real diasppointment for me was that the 'floating bar' was on a swamp and not on a pier out in the lake as it was 2 years ago. Also, the "20+ beers"  promised on the website turned out to be bullshit. They had 6 (fairly unexciting) beers on tap and none in bottles. Distribution problems i guess, but why promise things you may not be able to deliver?

But all in all the music was great, the food was great (if not the drinks), the atmosphere was great, and I've already booked our hotel for next year.

Edited by Trufflehound

Furthermore there weren't area for chillin, I mean a "silent" place far from stages where lie down on the sand.

Anyway great atmosphere very relaxed, never seen wasted people (except for one who goes strictly down with the head during Laurel Halo :) ), excellent food.

I was expecting something more from the music but I've seen some great concerts (perhaps I didn't enjoy all concerts because of my hernia and I had to stay far from the crowd)

My highlights

fri:

Kelly Lee Owens: good live 

Metronomy: great great great but I was there only for Corinne :(

RTJ: one of my fav band, great firts part of concert.

Weval: seeing them fron far but they seemed good.

sat:

Mitsky: incredible

Cigarettes After Sex: only three song for going to a good spot of Arcade Fire

Arcade Fire: highlights of the weekend

Floating Points: more than I expected, more dance than "psychological"

Vatican Shadow: crazy guy, crazy liveset

sun:

Fil Bo Riva: my connational was ace, 

Soulwax djset: superbe as usual

Strand Of Oaks: the rock version of Max Cavalera was perfect

James Blake: sad as always but still one my favourite artist

Soulwax: only 4 songs but they were super

Radiohead: not liking the tracklist and I also think they played 20 min less. Anyway good.

Missed:

Tommy Cash: I was not ok with my back

Kaleo: because of unexpected Soulwax djset

Cigarettes after sex: they change time of acoustic set and I didn't understand where the stage was so I was there too late. 

Others:

King gizz: mmmmmmm

Laurel Halo: not good as she usual is

Millionaire: liked them on records not live.

Vessel: I was too tired 

I think that's all regarding music.

Edited by alan_ts

Other thing: camping was a real camping with lot of shadow but also this was overcrowded imo (every night I found difficult to come back to my tent but this could had been because I drunk too much :) )

It was my fifth BKS and I actually liked it a lot. Last year I had the feeling there isn't anything new for me anymore and I might stop visiting the festival. I really liked about this year's edition that they spiced things up. A lot of new food stalls, new areas in the woods, better ways between some of the stages and the new areas like The Casbah and Tokyo Hill.

The downsides:

- the programm was a bit weak (like last year, compared to the previous years) and repetitve. I wouldn't say there was a bad act, but it wasn't that fresh (especially due to all the returning acts).

- the payment system. You were able to buy a prepaid card, but the card did cost 7 Euro, which weren't refundable and you couldn't even top up the cards. If you had cash with you only, you were able to buy the prepaid cards, but couldn't get refund for cups, because this refund was transfered to a credit / maestro card only  (comment from the crew: "if you don't have a card you still can donate the cups." - yes, that's an option, but I want to choose it and not have no other choice)

- full breakdown of almost all activities for Radiohead. I totaly understand that a band like Radiohead can ask for all other music audible around Stage 1 to be stopped. But of our group of 20 people more than half weren't interested in Radiohead and half of the others had enough after the first hour and there was nothing else to do musicwise. They could at least have some music at the Casbah which wasn't that loud and more than definitely further away from Stage 1 than required. I also would have appreciated to have at least a couple of parties or uptempo concerts after Radioheads set, because it felt like we left the festival on a low (I'm not talking about the quality of Radiohead's music) - the 30 minutes of music after Radiohead were a bit of an coitus interruptus.

I'm not sure about this years camping. I didn't camp and enjoyed to walk from our bungalows to the festival area through all the campers, but it felt VERY crowded in most places. I have not idea why they put most of the campers on the soutside of the lake instead of "Camping A".

Just about feeling normal again after a great weekend. Spent Thursday on the piss in Antwerp and headed over to Tilburg mid afternoon on the Friday

Thought it was a great site for a festival, thought the food was great, queuing to get in was ok but a longer walk than expected and the site was easy to get to from Tilburg. The waits for beer got a bit annoying at times but I'm used to the ultra quick service at Pukkelpop and Primavera so I guess I'm spoilt and it didn't get too bad that I got pissed off. Friday was a heavy one and highlights were definitely Metronomy, King Giz and RTJ. Was a bit of a blur for Weval but remember it being good.

Saturday, split my time first hour between Andy Shauf and Kim Jansen, who were both on the slow side for my liking. thought that Whitney and Arcade were the best bands by a country mile. Think we left pretty much straight after AF due to being knackered/pissed. Pity really as there was some decent names late on.

Sunday, not a lot on for me so got there for the much needed secret Soulwax DJ set and caught the end of Arab Strap who were ok. Then onto Cass McCoombs, bit of the Rajasthan Express then a walk past the dull as fuck James Blake to go to American Football. Then on to the highlight of the night which was Soulwax. Really thought that the stage was too small for them and it would be rammed but got a good spot. Got a good spot in stage 2 for most gigs. Really annoying that a lot of people were hanging around the entrances making it look fuller than it was when there were sometimes plenty of space. The mosh pit for King Giz was a highlight. First and last time I've ever been in one. The press tent was a nice touch being accessible to everyone. Thought the area around stage 2 could be bigger and was a bit congested at times. People just laying on the ground in high traffic areas was a pain. Thought stage 3 and 5 were decent and 4 was a nice dance area, again thought the Soulwax DJ set was going to be packed but luckily not enough people cottoned on to it and it was a great set.

Agree with Mellow Maniac re: Radiohead. Thought they were very poor personally and the sound very quiet. Any alternative on another stage would have been good. They were absolutely fantastic at Primavera and I was very disappointed.

My main 2 gripes was the amount of main stage dross. Amazons, Sundara Karma, Circa Waves were all interchangeable shite and definitely a sign of all the money being spent on RH and AF, and the amount of downbeat male singer songwriters. 

Overall I had a great time and would come again if the line up was decent. Needs to be a lot more upbeat stuff for me though.

I'm predicting Tame Impala, the National and Gorillaz for next year.

Overall I thought It was great festival I quite liked some of the changes from previous years . As always the atmosphere was really relaxed and everyone was friendly  and polite. The cashless system wasnt as bad as I thought it would be (Still prefer the old wristband) . Highlights for me were The Parrots, RTJ, Soulwax,Kaleo, Metronomy ,Aurora and Radiohead. Roll on next year !