Arrival Time/Routines

DareToDibble

17 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

I imagine me and my crew will be setting up in Oxlyers again as, despite the criticism, its a cracking location in terms of access to all the hotspots on site that we enjoy and we've never had any trouble there either.

I am another who has always camped in Oxlyers. What is this bad reputation it has? What's the reason behind it?

I've never had any trouble there whatsoever and, as you've said, it's a pretty central position!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

Coach from Leicester in 2017. I took a coach for the first time this year and it was relatively painless, despite the horror stories of people in their cars. I imagine me and my crew will be setting up in Oxlyers again as, despite the criticism, its a cracking location in terms of access to all the hotspots on site that we enjoy and we've never had any trouble there either.

First day will involve a little walkabout, meeting up with other friends onsite and then way too many drinks at the Brothers Bar in the sunshine (YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT WILL BE SUNNY) and then heading up to the stone circle to begin a night of debauchery.

Love the sentiment, kudos for belief in the weather, but got to call you out for having a " crew" ;)

Unless you are actually a bad boy yardie gangsta, in which case I'm terribly sorry...

We are thinking 2am from Manchester in the car should get us to the gate for 8am. A few are on the national x coach thinking they will be there at the same time.

The plan is hike to higher part of Pennard Hill, pitch tents, drink, eat, drink, explore, get lost, drink, find way back tent, sleep.

Edited by March Hare

•Set off from the Isle of Man on a mid-afternoon flight to Liverpool on the Tuesday.

•Enjoy one last nights sleep in a real bed in a hotel.

•Dependant on coach time hopefully arrive somewhere between midday and 4pm.

•Hopefully head towards South Park 1/2, Mrs' whinging level dependant. Probably end up camping in darble.

•Tent up in seconds (pop up) with something ridiculous to identify it when I'm battered, then head out to explore my first ever Glasto with a backpack of cider in tow.

•Begin having a drunken little cry, that after much obsessing since October I'm finally at the one festival that's eluded me.

We set off about 4.30 and get in queue for Wednesday morning opening. We like to camp in Big Ground if we can, first can opened after tent is pitched, then it's wandering.  Just love it there :wub:

Come home on Friday to collect daughter after school and go straight back.  Come home again Sunday evening because of school on Monday.  Have never stayed the Sunday night.  Yet ...

Routine changed slightly this year due to me moving last December.  My mate use to head to mine from Middlesbrough on Tuesday evening and then we'd head down to the festival at about 7 on Wednesday morning.  I'm now further round the M25 near Gatwick so he decided he'd travel down overnight and meet me nearer the festival.

As for our routine when we get to the festival, we usually arrive around 10:30.we've been lucky enough to have a Pilton village parking pass, especially useful this year with all the traffic as we got straight in.  We'd enter through Gate B and head over to Michael's Mead which has plenty of space at 11am.  It's the essentials to start (Tent, chair, bag and a few Thatchers), I've learnt 3 light trips are definitely better than trying to lug as much as possible.  After we've got our tents up we'll have a couple of cans and then head back and collect other stuff from the car.  We usually head out around the site 3ish, no real plans other than a trip to the Brother Bar for a couple and then more wandering around the site.

56 minutes ago, Padgey said:

I've learnt 3 light trips are definitely better than trying to lug as much as possible.  

I've always wondered. I'm firmly in the "This walk is absolutely killing me but at least once I'm there I don't have to do it again" camp but last year especially the trip took me ages as I kept stopping every 10-15 minutes to put my bag and stuff down. One of the main issues is that I always pack too much alcohol. Definitely packing less of that this year. 

We usually leave Birmingham about midnight and are parked up by 3ish Wednesday morning. In the queue and moving by 7, set up by 9/10 and the beers flow. Apart from last year of course, which wasn't too bad in the end (considering) where we were parked up by 7am and setting the tent up about 9/10am.

yeah we do it in 2 trips now despite me being the lets do it in one go camp previously. I don't think we even bring that much stuff but I know the airbed, pump, double sleeping bag and wash bowl which holds all lights, baby wipes & cups/plates fills a big bag but not particular heavy just bulky.

New camping chairs a bit bigger too so take more space up on the trolley..

Our ritual is head down from Manchester Tuesday afternoon to stay at Greenacres campsite which is round the corner from bronze/orange gate - tent up, beer drank then meet friends for beer/food at Apple tree pub Tuesday evening.

Get up around 5-5.30 and get ourselves on site by 6-6.30am (as literally few mins drive and no queues as the road comes out opposite bronze gate. Load trolleys up then get in the queue.

Have been using gate A, but this year used gate D as was closer and the gates had opened earlier. from leaving car to getting to camp site (Paines) it too an hour - we had tent all set up before 8.30amish so was happy bunny.

Had a beer and snacks then went back to the car for 2nd run around 10.30-11am, sorted stuff out then put valuables in lock up and went on walkabout in the afternoon (Brothers bar got a few visits this year despite that mud getting in the way as WH field was a mess!!)

21 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I've always wondered. I'm firmly in the "This walk is absolutely killing me but at least once I'm there I don't have to do it again" camp but last year especially the trip took me ages as I kept stopping every 10-15 minutes to put my bag and stuff down. One of the main issues is that I always pack too much alcohol. Definitely packing less of that this year. 

Tried to take as much as possible the first time I went and it was a killer, you feel like you need a shower when you finally get to your camping spot, and a massage after everything has been digging into your back, shoulders and hands. The walk doesn't bother me so a couple of trips back to the car staggered throughout the day I find is definitely the better option. 

Even leaving some of the alcohol in the boot and going back the next day is always an option.

Slowly going earlier each year. I used to go on a Thursday but a couple of years ago went Wednesday evening. Last year went first thing Wednesday and will do again this year -hopefully with less queuing. Will arrive on site hopefully luchtime, park campervan, put up awning consuming beer/cider at the same time. Head on to site via gate C and head for the Cider Bus shedding a few tears of joy along the way. Wander up to the hill behind the Park and take it all in knowing I am 'home'. Think how can my favourite place in the world only exist for a few days at a time. :-)

12 hours ago, Richi1988 said:

•Set off from the Isle of Man on a mid-afternoon flight to Liverpool on the Tuesday.

•Enjoy one last nights sleep in a real bed in a hotel.

•Dependant on coach time hopefully arrive somewhere between midday and 4pm.

•Hopefully head towards South Park 1/2, Mrs' whinging level dependant. Probably end up camping in darble.

•Tent up in seconds (pop up) with something ridiculous to identify it when I'm battered, then head out to explore my first ever Glasto with a backpack of cider in tow.

•Begin having a drunken little cry, that after much obsessing since October I'm finally at the one festival that's eluded me.

Are you sure this is your first?  The last two in particular are the words of a seasoned pro, particularly the crying part :lol:

49 minutes ago, Quark said:

Are you sure this is your first?  The last two in particular are the words of a seasoned pro, particularly the crying part :lol:

Haha! Unfortunately/fortunately (depending on which way you look at it) is my first after a fair few failed attempts on previous ticket days sent me off to European festivals for the last 6 years.

Cannot bloody wait, the Mrs keeps reminding me we have 2 other holidays to look forward to before Glasto, but my eyes are on the prize!

Next year is my first since 2011.

In years past it's been the train from Exeter to Castle Cary, then the shuttle bus to the site and there by mid-morning. Always regretting taking too much stuff. Tent up and wine box opened, have a laugh watching people with their new never set up before tents before helping them out. Then a wander around the site until whenever....

Next year will be different, going with a friend who's not been before and we've not even started making plans yet. Really excited to go with a complete festival newbie.