Annual Leave

jparx

Had an unbelievably close shave with regards to booking off Glastonbury week. We've been waiting for a new online annual leave system to come in at work and we were told to save our requests until this was up and running. It kept getting delayed and delayed, but finally came in on Friday. I put my request in for leave over Glastonbury which was promptly accepted.

Just came in to work this morning and there's a huge email about embargoed weeks which we cannot, under any circumstances,  use our annual leave (barring a family death or somerhing). Upper management finalised the dates over the weekend. Glastonbury week is there, as one of our busiest weeks and a complete no go for annual leave! Last year it was no problem, but they are cracking down big time this year. Luckily though since mine was accepted before the email, I'm free to go!!

Essentially if I had attempted to book my leave today rather than friday there's no chance I'd be on the Farm next year. Close shave!

Anyone else have any stories like this? Or any past stories where leave has been denied?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody hell you cut that fine!

Mine's almost the opposite of that, so feeling mighty relieved!  My plans for next year look like this:

First 2 weeks of June - holiday with Mrs Q

2 days back in the office

Week out for Glastonbury

3 weeks back in the office

Week out for Benicassim

As I'm only a couple of months into the new job I ran this past my boss, expecting at least a raised eyebrow.   Response was "yeah fine, just draft up some handover notes for the team and give your stakeholders a heads up"

Outstanding.  This is the same new boss who spent the Tuesday after GF this year (only my second week in the job) laughing at the state I was in and then sent me home early.  I like my boss.

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Bloody hell you cut that fine!

Mine's almost the opposite of that, so feeling mighty relieved!  My plans for next year look like this:

First 2 weeks of June - holiday with Mrs Q

2 days back in the office

Week out for Glastonbury

3 weeks back in the office

Week out for Benicassim

As I'm only a couple of months into the new job I ran this past my boss, expecting at least a raised eyebrow.   Response was "yeah fine, just draft up some handover notes for the team and give your stakeholders a heads up"

Outstanding.  This is the same new boss who spent the Tuesday after GF this year (only my second week in the job) laughing at the state I was in and then sent me home early.  I like my boss.

Your boss sounds like a keeper! 

I had a similar plan this year where I was essentially in the office for about 2 days out of a whole month! What with Glastonbury, then a holiday in Portugal in and around NOS Alive. Needless to say it was incredible. If you can somehow work it out, having 3-4 weeks of annual leave in one go is ace. Just leaves you slogging it out for the rest of the year!

Interesting. I'm pretty sure I work for the same institution as jparx and don't anticipate any problems.

Leave requests for our area have always been and still are handled locally by the line management with no restrictions other than the expected "no more than X% off at the same time", and my boss knows better than to turn me down for the last week in June. Although in our part of the organisation, the last week in June is about as quiet as it gets probably because jparx and his crew are doing all the work..

Our place is murder. Our leave is available a year in advance. So June 2017 becomes available on 1st June 2016. We can see how many people have booked the time, so you know where you stand.

In short, this year I had to book 2017 festival before 2016 had happened. I hate counting my chickens over anything, but if I'd have attempted to book it on October after securing my ticket - I'd be as fucked as a Nal weather report.

Luckily for me the 2017 leave was opened up the week after T Day. I was straight in there, first to book it off so all good. I don't like the idea of tempting fate by booking it off before I got my tickets.

I can't begin to imagine how painful it must be to then have to cancel the leave as I never got tickets!

Booked mine I'm July cos it's easier to cancel my leave than get it if other people are off. I think it's tempting faith more risking not getting the time off and besides if I didn't get glasto tickets last place I'd want to be is at work so would split somewhere nice on holiday instead. 

44 minutes ago, incident said:

Interesting. I'm pretty sure I work for the same institution as jparx and don't anticipate any problems.

Leave requests for our area have always been and still are handled locally by the line management with no restrictions other than the expected "no more than X% off at the same time", and my boss knows better than to turn me down for the last week in June. Although in our part of the organisation, the last week in June is about as quiet as it gets probably because jparx and his crew are doing all the work..

Intriguing ;)

51 minutes ago, Quark said:

Are the busy weeks going to be forecasted year on year, or is that now set in stone for every year?

Well it's a University so it's the same each year. They just seem to be more keen on enforcing it this year!

It's an unwritten rule in my place that no one else is to book holiday over the Glastonbury period apart from me.

Thankfully as the boss of the team coupled with the fact none of my staff are interested in the festival I've never suffered with an issue.

We have an online system but I never book in the days until I've secured tickets. Always book those bad boys in first thing on the Monday though!

10 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It's an unwritten rule in my place that no one else is to book holiday over the Glastonbury period apart from me.

Thankfully as the boss of the team coupled with the fact none of my staff are interested in the festival I've never suffered with an issue.

We have an online system but I never book in the days until I've secured tickets. Always book those bad boys in first thing on the Monday though!

Christ! They put you in charge, Joey?! They obviously haven't read about your lost wandering exploits on here!!!

On a more general note, I refuse to refer to it annual leave unless I'm objectively told to do so.  It's holiday.  I'm taking some holiday.

"annual leave" sounds so bloody sterile, like holiday just sounds far too rampantly fun to be used in a work context.

And it's a rant at office terminology, not you @jparx ;)