Eminem

GoonerRob

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a chance. Not even a vague outline of a chance. GFL are far smarter than to do that.

The reaction to Kanye West allegedly caused the Festival to play it safer this year, which means we're unlikely to see another rapper in that slot for a while.. and if/when we do, Eminems disgusting homophobia and sexism mean that the festival shouldn't and almost certainly won't consider him.

Awesome? No. He'd get the most complaints in history. And there'd be a hell of a lot more justification for them than there was with Jay Z / Kanye West / U2 / Metallica / etc.

48 minutes ago, incident said:

Not a chance. Not even a vague outline of a chance. GFL are far smarter than to do that.

The reaction to Kanye West allegedly caused the Festival to play it safer this year, which means we're unlikely to see another rapper in that slot for a while.. and if/when we do, Eminems disgusting homophobia and sexism mean that the festival shouldn't and almost certainly won't consider him.

Awesome? No. He'd get the most complaints in history. And there'd be a hell of a lot more justification for them than there was with Jay Z / Kanye West / U2 / Metallica / etc.

Yep, I completely agree. Added to that, say what you will about Kanye West, he's one of the biggest current stars. Eminem's star has surely waned over the last decade or so...

1 hour ago, incident said:

You actually believe Eminem would cause more outrage that Kanye West?......that's crazy!

44 minutes ago, pjadnoo said:

Yep, I completely agree. Added to that, say what you will about Kanye West, he's one of the biggest current stars. Eminem's star has surely waned over the last decade or so...

Yup I see what you mean, Kanye failing to sell out Wireless.....no shock as he helped close down another festival and by his own admission fucked his Pyramid headline set, Eminem sold out days at V, Reading and Wembley twice over.

He will appeal more to buy tickets for util he stops than Kanye ever will. 

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

You actually believe Eminem would cause more outrage that Kanye West?......that's crazy!

I agree with thewayiam here actually a lot of Eminem fans are people who don't explore hip-hop outside of Eminem and he's far more popular in the rock sphere than Kanye I feel. Although there would obviously still be some backlash, he'd demand too much money, have no TV coverage and mime.

17 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

From the opposite side of the spectrum tho. Complaints from the progressive liberals who actually make up Glastonbury's core audience, rather than in-denial racists. 

Plenty of Mr Wests older songs contain sexist, money obsessed themes so I don't think that rules anyone out based on the content of their back catalogue. 

Can't deny that Eminem would be another massive, bollocks on the table booking although I personally wouldn't be watching

Edited by Eks101

11 minutes ago, Eks101 said:

Plenty of Mr Wests older songs contain sexist themes 

But he also has songs like New Slaves

Does Eminem have anything to balance out Rap God? 

Tho I do agree that lyrical content probably wouldn't come into it especially when there enough other factors to rule him out anyway. 

Edited by Zac Quinn

30 minutes ago, Eks101 said:

Plenty of Mr Wests older songs contain sexist, money obsessed themes so I don't think that rules anyone out based on the content of their back catalogue. 

Can't deny that Eminem would be another massive, bollocks on the table booking although I personally wouldn't be watching

"money obsessed themes"... very reductive and dismissive way of looking at hip-hop's cultural context.

I don't know why you're specifically singling out Kanye for sexist lyrics when you'll have much more fertile ground in a lot of the rock bands who've headlined. 

Still, you've got to give Eminem extra credit for going above and beyond with his rampant hatred of women. To illustrate what an abhorrent sack of shit he is, here's some sample; 

"I'll punch Lana Del Rey in the face twice like Ray Rice in broad daylight in plain sight of elevator surveillance, 'til the head is banging on the railing, then celebrate with the Ravens."

"Slut you think I won't choke no whore? 'Til the vocal chords don't work in her throat no more?"

"Put Anthrax on a Tampax and slap you till you can't stand."

“Snatch the bitch out her car through the window, she screamin’, I body slam her onto the cement, until the concrete gave and created a sinkhole. Bury this stink ho in it, then paid to have the street re-paved.”

"If she ever tries to fuckin’ leave again, I’ma tie her to the bed and set this house on fire.”

“Don’t you get it bitch, no one can hear you? Now shut the fuck up and get what’s comin to you. You were supposed to love me {*Kim choking*}/NOW BLEED! BITCH BLEED! BLEED! BITCH BLEED! BLEED!”

"Fuck slittin’ her throat, cut this bitch's head off”

But he loves his daughter

53 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I don't know why you're specifically singling out Kanye for sexist lyrics when you'll have much more fertile ground in a lot of the rock bands who've headlined. 

Reveal hidden contents

"I'll punch Lana Del Rey in the face twice like Ray Rice in broad daylight in plain sight of elevator surveillance, 'til the head is banging on the railing, then celebrate with the Ravens."

"Slut you think I won't choke no whore? 'Til the vocal chords don't work in her throat no more?"

“Snatch the bitch out her car through the window, she screamin’, I body slam her onto the cement, until the concrete gave and created a sinkhole. Bury this stink ho in it, then paid to have the street re-paved.”

"If she ever tries to fuckin’ leave again, I’ma tie her to the bed and set this house on fire.”

“Don’t you get it bitch, no one can hear you? Now shut the fuck up and get what’s comin to you. You were supposed to love me {*Kim choking*}/NOW BLEED! BITCH BLEED! BLEED! BITCH BLEED! BLEED!”

Shout out to whoever it was last year that was clutching their pinny about Yeezy Yeez being a sexist whilst simultaneously bigging up The Who's performance of a song that's literally all about w*nking at a nuddy picture.

Eminem obvious has had a lot of controversy in his time, but you have to bare in mind most of that happened as long as 17 or 18 years ago. He has spoken out about how he regrets everything that has been mentioned. If he were ever to play Glastonbury now would be it, he is clean of drugs and alcohol and is writing music about real topics, rather than just writing to offend and cause controversy. His last album was brilliant and although it's unlikely to happen i think it'd be a good booking on Glastonburys part. Probably the most iconic hip-hop artist of all time.

Edited by Gozpot

2 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I agree with thewayiam here actually a lot of Eminem fans are people who don't explore hip-hop outside of Eminem and he's far more popular in the rock sphere than Kanye I feel. Although there would obviously still be some backlash, he'd demand too much money, have no TV coverage and mime.

I'm an Eminem fan but still have listened to the gene aside from him, I get what you are saying though.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

"money obsessed themes"... very reductive and dismissive way of looking at hip-hop's cultural context.

Still, you've got to give Eminem extra credit for going above and beyond with his rampant hatred of women. To illustrate what an abhorrent sack of shit he is, here's some sample; 

Hide contents

But he loves his daughter

It's just lyrics, I don't ever think he would do Glasto myself.

4 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Eminem obvious has had a lot of controversy in his time, but you have to bare in mind most of that happened as long as 17 or 18 years ago. He has spoken out about how he regrets everything that has been mentioned. If he were ever to play Glastonbury now would be it, he is clean of drugs and alcohol and is writing music about real topics, rather than just writing to offend and cause controversy. His last album was brilliant and although it's unlikely to happen i think it'd be a good booking on Glastonburys part. Probably the most iconic hip-hop artist of all time.

It does make me laugh that on one hand people are moaning about Eminem being past it and over the hill not producing anything good, then on the other there are moans about what he rapped about. If people were that offended by what he wrote and didn't see it as just what they liked they wouldn't have supported him to what status he is now. Recovery and MMLP2 were big albums for him, Relapse was shite, even he admitted that hence the release of Recovery soon after.

12 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

His line on that Dre song last year didn't seem like he had moved on at all.

And he might be the most successful hip hop artist but certainly not the most iconic. Shit, that's like Jimmy Page being the 'most iconic blues player of all time' or something.

Edited by dentalplan

38 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Eminem obvious has had a lot of controversy in his time, but you have to bare in mind most of that happened as long as 17 or 18 years ago. He has spoken out about how he regrets everything that has been mentioned.

That's not true though, is it? Like, it's not even vaguely true.

The controversy over sexist and homophobic lyrics isn't mostly in the past, it's been a constant feature throughout the entirety of his career. Up to and including his most recent album.

As for regret? I've seen nothing that even implies that - I have however seen him come out with half arsed defences where he suggests that using certain terms is ok because other people used them when he was growing up. Which is obvious bullshit.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

That's not what I am saying, I'm saying if people were on a major scale put off by what he wrote, he wouldn't be still making music now.

If anything, people not being put off on a major scale by the shit he puts out is a pretty horrifying indictment of his fanbase isn't it? You must agree that something is very very wrong with those lyrics.

32 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

That's not what I am saying, I'm saying if people were on a major scale put off by what Trump said, he wouldn't be still a presidential candidate now.

^^ Try looking at it from a very slightly different perspective. 

Edit: Then read what Lawn just said again. 

Edited by Woffy