Flaming lips

russycarps

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

How the hell did they convince Warner bros to let them make that record. Amazing really

Yep, would have loved to have been there when he pitched the idea- can't see any record company agreeing to such a thing now, they wouldn't even agree to cds in blister packs like spiritualized did. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I dont think I've even got one CD player now, never mind four of them. 

I downloaded a mixed version of it about 10 years ago, bit it was badly done / lousy quality.

There's a good one available now (or at least a couple of years ago) on some torrent thing, worthing looking for

3 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Flaming Lips were just incredible in 2010. I'm worried that if they played next year it would tarnish that memory. 

It would be better I reckon.

They have been opening with race for the prize again recently (and before that abandoned hospital ship), both of which is a much better start than the fear. They are also playing lots from soft bulletin these days after the full album gigs they did a while back. In 2010 they played nothing from soft bulletin! So we'd most probably get the likes of feeling yourself disintegrate (the current version of which is utterly wonderful) at the expense of the likes of I can be a frog, which let's be honest is pretty terrible...

The only way it could be worse than 2010 is if the new album is terrible and the play loads from it. But I think from the single they've released it's going to be the best thing since yoshimi. Or they choose to do songs like do you realise in the singalong style. 

IF they play, it will be unmissable.

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

So do I start with soft buletin and yoshimi? Did they have a massive shift in musical direction at some point or have i imagined hearing that from someone?

They changed direction as lead guitarists left and were replaced I reckon.

I think you might like clouds taste metallic/transmissions from the satellite heart era most

Obviously it's all a million times better live. Steven drozd is the greatest multi instrumentalist of all time

58 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Only from the proper early days, I'd say.

You could try one of these flow chart things:

theflaminglipsflowchart.jpg

That's fucking ace, Dental. 

Totally spot on too. 

5 hours ago, russycarps said:

It would be better I reckon.

They have been opening with race for the prize again recently (and before that abandoned hospital ship), both of which is a much better start than the fear. They are also playing lots from soft bulletin these days after the full album gigs they did a while back. In 2010 they played nothing from soft bulletin! So we'd most probably get the likes of feeling yourself disintegrate (the current version of which is utterly wonderful)

IF they play, it will be unmissable.

Fuck, this gets me as excited as Radiohead. 

I made the missus listen to the Soft Bulletin on the way to the festival this year and it's been played alternately in between other albums ever since. 

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Are the last 4 studio albums left off of that due to when it was made, or because you should give them the swerve?

The timing, I'd guess. Though I certainly wouldn't put the likes of the Dark Side of the Moon covers album with Wayne's nephew's band and Rollins on the essentials for someone wanting to get into the band. That's shit for the fans to eat up. :lol: It'd be a pretty fun irony if you've listened to that one.

Edited by dentalplan

4 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

So do I start with soft buletin and yoshimi? Did they have a massive shift in musical direction at some point or have i imagined hearing that from someone?

Yep. Those two are the only really good ones, in all honesty

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Only from the proper early days, I'd say.

You could try one of these flow chart things:

theflaminglipsflowchart.jpg

awesome! go left, scruffy!

:)

if somebody is interessted in an original strobo trip box feel free to pm me,

i have two of them.

5 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

And I never will. 

Hehehe, i picture my funeral, hundreds of mourning hot chicks, obviously. Plus a few heartfelt tributes from some old friends, a eulogy or two, a couple of readings, and you, graveside, reminding everyone that i loved that second vaccines album.