Flaming lips

russycarps

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Bring Me the Horizon, The 1975 and Catfish and the Bottlemen played 3rd down Other last year.

Richard Hawley, Phillip Glass' Heroes Symphony and Grimes headlined Park last year.

3rd down Other is clearly a bigger slot. Park headliners in general would be nearer the bottom of Other than the top.

Headlining Park may be a more favourable slot to some, and you probably get more interesting/established acts there than third down Other, but definitely not bigger acts.

I'd say all those bands aren't bigger than Flaming lips, but certainly more current.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

All of those bands are 100% bigger than Flaming Lips at this time for sure.

It's a bit of a weird one, they are all young and very current/popular in the U.K. Globally and historically I'd say Flaming Lips are the bigger band. I guess it's just the difference between the two stages and the sort of acts you see on them (plus my perception of being mid thirties and having no interest at all in those three bands) I'd hazard a guess that if you looked back at 3rd down on Other for the three days 5/6 years ago more than half would have disappeared into obscurity by now. That's jus a pure guess of course and could be completely wrong.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It's a bit of a weird one, they are all young and very current/popular in the U.K. Globally and historically I'd say Flaming Lips are the bigger band. I guess it's just the difference between the two stages and the sort of acts you see on them (plus my perception of being mid thirties and having no interest at all in those three bands) I'd hazard a guess that if you looked back at 3rd down on Other for the three days 5/6 years ago more than half would have disappeared into obscurity by now. That's jus a pure guess of course and could be completely wrong.

Yeah that's why I mentioned about Park headliners tending to be more established acts. Even if a lot of the acts have disappeared into obscurity now, I don't doubt that at the time they played they'll have been bigger than the Park headliners.

2016:

3rd Other - Bring Me the Horizon, The 1975, Catfish and the Bottlemen

Park headliners - Richard Hawley, Phillip Glass' Heroes Symphony

2015:

3rd Other: Courteeners, The Maccabees, Belle and Sebastian

Park headline - Super Furry Animals, Jon Hopkins, Ryan Adams

2014:

3rd Other - Interpol, Manic Street Preachers, Bombay Bicycle Club

Park headline - Metronomy, Mogwai, James Blake

Cba to go any further but the acts playing 3rd Other are almost always bigger than Park headliners, but Park headliners tend to be either more established or more alternative acts with cult followings, probably why Russy thinks they're bigger acts :P

I'd say Belle and Sebastian are the only act in that list who could, size-wise, have played the other slot.

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I think I owe WaterAid a tenner.

wateraid.png.a5be82f19a7adb081e385bdcf3b999a5.png

Evidence for my third lost charity bet.

Looking at that last setlist and there being barely anything from Oczy Mlody - combined with Sleaford Mods playing support on this - I'm really effing narked about this clash now I've had time to think about it. Y'all gonna have a proper time here.

Ok, so half hour of Radiohead before legging it up to the park for a decent spot at the Flaming Lips, is that about it?

ive not seen a park headliner before, im VERY excited about the Flaming Lips taking my cherry, so to speak :lol: oh fuck, it's going to be amazing . . . 

Just now, balti-pie said:

Ok, so half hour of Radiohead before legging it up to the park for a decent spot at the Flaming Lips, is that about it?

ive not seen a park headliner before, im VERY excited about the Flaming Lips taking my cherry, so to speak :lol: oh fuck, it's going to be amazing . . . 

Radiohead won't have even got going by 30 minutes. Not of want to turn this into a Radiohead setlist thread - the first half of that will be new album tracks. You'll face queues to get out. :lol: See the entirety of something else if poss.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

The more I think about it this is going to be fairly busy. How many does the Park hold before you're at the mixing desk and back over the hill?

I really hope you're right, but I'll be shocked if you are. That being said, I've never heard of the other stage headliner, the JP tent headliner seems to be a radio 1 DJ (is that true?) and west holts has nabbed a has-been so perhaps you're right.

I do think it will get busier as the night progresses though, when people realise that the radiohead set is going to be downbeat. It'll be like gorillaz all over again.

Very interested to see who the TBA is on the Park on Friday. Jay Wobble followed by the evening in the Park for me. 

I really hope you're right, but I'll be shocked if you are. That being said, I've never heard of the other stage headliner, the JP tent headliner seems to be a radio 1 DJ (is that true?) and west holts has nabbed a has-been so perhaps you're right.

I do think it will get busier as the night progresses though, when people realise that the radiohead set is going to be downbeat. It'll be like gorillaz all over again.

Yep. And the timings mean people could see almost an hour of Radiohead (realise its a fun free snoozefest) and stroll up to the Park and catch the start of the Lips. 

All you'll need is a couple of 100 defectors and it'll be busy. 

I'll be doing my usual Lands End bar side cut in, as CG says.

Edited by The Nal

Did anyone see SFA on the park the other year? That was pretty busy I think (I was off my tits but it seemed quite packed)

Anyway, this is going to be mega. The setlist couldnt be more festival friendly. 

Also, what are sleaford mods like?

Edited by russycarps

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Folk in the know are reckoning Elbow.

Likely to either be them or Gorillaz,  I'd reckon.

Righto. Where Gorillaz should've been in 2010! It'll be someone substantial one would think either way. 

Its too far to go there, leave and back again so I'll be setting up shop in the Park from about 7pm by the looks of it. 

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Did anyone see SFA on the park the other year? That was pretty busy I think (I was off my tits but it seemed quite packed)

Very busy yeah. They were alright. Left halfway through. If you're not well in front of the sound stage its a tough enough place to watch a gig. Not the loudest either. 

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Also, what are sleaford mods like?

Didn't get on my radar at all initially but I really like the new album. Very post Brexit. Reminds me of The Prodigys Jilted in theme. Very relevant stuff. Was delighted when I saw Sleafords and then The Lips in a row.

Edited by The Nal

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

Busy enough, but not really, really stowed.  Easy enough to get pretty close to the front.

It's probably a decent indicator of how busy it'll be for the Lips. Probably similar crowds..

7 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Righto. Where Gorillaz should've been in 2010! It'll be someone substantial one would think either way. 

Its too far to go there, leave and back again so I'll be setting up shop in the Park from about 7pm by the looks of it. 

Very busy yeah. They were alright. Left halfway through. If you're not well in front of the sound stage its a tough enough place to watch a gig. Not the loudest either. 

Didn't get on my radar at all initially but I really like the new album. Very post Brexit. Reminds me of The Prodigys Jilted in theme. Very relevant stuff. Was delighted when I saw Sleafords and then The Lips in a row.

Ta I'll check them out. Truth be told the name has always put me off, I assumed it was some catfish and the bottlemen type act. 

Even though I'm a radiohead fan, I wont be doing that hike across the site (plus the opening few songs will not be festival friendly)

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Busy enough, but not really, really stowed.  Easy enough to get pretty close to the front.

It's probably a decent indicator of how busy it'll be for the Lips. Probably similar crowds..

Yeah I'd take that now if offered. Definitely busy enough to generate a decent atmosphere

9 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Even though I'm a radiohead fan, I wont be doing that hike across the site (plus the opening few songs will not be festival friendly)

Do you not think there is a chance Radiohead will change up the start of the set for Glasto and the Beeb considering they will be playing the same day they re-release OK Computer?