Flaming lips

russycarps

one more quite likely looking stage headliner (think dental mentioned they're at a European festival around Glastonbury time) who'll end up as part of some awful inevitable clash. new song isn't anything mind blowing but it's nice to see them come back from the total doom and gloom of their previous two albums (although i loved both)

5 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Never managed to see them live so would definitely head along, clashes permitting. 

Do they still chuck in 'Do You Realize?' to their live sets? 

they've been closing with it at their latest shows, but obviously they'll have a new album out come Glastonbury time. can't see them not playing it at a festival though

I'm definitely in - I need at least a yearly 'fix' - and have already got tickets for Brixton in January.  I must insist that I get to see Steven perform this again though 

http://flaminglips.com/video/17454/

Strange thing happened last year - for the first time ever, and I have seen multiple performances, 'Do You Realize' was not included ......

38 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Have a new album of original material out in January, and a new single out NOW.

it's been a while since they put in one of the top 3 other stage gigs of all time so they are due a return.

I'm thinking John Peel headliner. Who's in??

Im 100% all over this idea. (I posted about it last night)

Saturday or Sunday JP headliner would be perfect for me.

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

Never really given them much airtime but I gather their live shows are exceptional, where would one start? Which albums should I begin with? 

The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots are their two most accessible and get a lot of air time at their live shows (and probably widely regarded as best) so start with them two

30 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

they've been closing with it at their latest shows, but obviously they'll have a new album out come Glastonbury time. can't see them not playing it at a festival though

18 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I'd think for a big festival performance they'd bring it out even if they're a bit sick of it.

The scenes in 2010 when they played it... It was beautiful.

edit:  Do You Realize, I mean.

Good to hear guys, even as a casual fan I love it. I've always thought it'd make a good funeral song :lol:

Oh, just remembered that they were performing Soft Bulletin last year, so would probably explain the absence of Do You Realize - but I'm fairly sure they had this at the encore of the Soft Bulletin performance at Alexandra Palace in 2011?

Anyway, I am fairly sure there is no way they wouldn't end a set at Glastonbury without it - remembering the emotional end at 2010 - oh dear that's set me off again ......... 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Never really given them much airtime but I gather their live shows are exceptional, where would one start? Which albums should I begin with? 

As mentioned, Soft Bulletin is ace, if you like some darker psychedelia the more recent Embryonic is interesting.

And if you're completely hooked, you can always check out their 24 hour song (Yes, really!) here, see how far you get:

https://archive.org/details/The24HourSongSkull-TheFlamingLips-2011