Flaming lips

russycarps

There was no winning for me, if I'd have gone to Flaming Lips I'd have seen that Radiohead setlist and been sad.  The Flaming Lips setlist, plus the pictures I've seen and reports I've read, also makes me sad.   What a clash.  Glad to hear so many people here enjoyed it.  Will watch on the iPlayer in the next day or two.

23 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

tempted to hit up the Rock City gig.

We just got tickets for it last night :)

21 hours ago, angelin said:

Dare we say it was better than the Glasto set?

Shhh ;)

10 hours ago, duke88 said:

Considering Nottingham next month now!

Get them bought :)

Still can't get over how happy this set made me.

Was it the best musically? No

Vocally? (Certainly not!)

But it was absolutely fantastic. As close to magical as a performance gets. Like being injected with a dollop of love for 90 mins.

@russycarps - I had banged on about missing the lips everytime. I remember a quote from you saying that the lips at Glastonbury is something special. You were 100% correct.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Still can't get over how happy this set made me.

Was it the best musically? No

Vocally? (Certainly not!)

But it was absolutely fantastic. As close to magical as a performance gets. Like being injected with a dollop of love for 90 mins.

@russycarps - I had banged on about missing the lips everytime. I remember a quote from you saying that the lips at Glastonbury is something special. You were 100% correct.

I am so happy that it was a magical set and exceeded expectations.

But I'm a fraud and am banished from this thread henceforth: I watched radiohead. In the end staying with my best mates seemed like the right thing to do.

I loved the gig I saw, but I know what you all saw transcended that.

*hangs head in shame and exits thread*

• Upvote 1

Just now, russycarps said:

I am so happy that it was a magical set and exceeded expectations.

But I'm a fraud and am banished from this thread henceforth: I watched radiohead. In the end staying with my best mates seemed like the right thing to do.

I loved the gig I saw, but I know what you all saw transcended that.

*hangs head in shame and exits thread*

If it makes you feel any better, I enjoyed it enough for most people.

(Im seeing Radiohead on tuesday now)

Watching it again, and in retrospect it seems mad I ever considered anything else above them. One of the most uplifting bands you can see live, in my favourite place in the world?

I suppose my ambivalence towards anything post Mystics put me off a bit, and they played a blinder with the set list.

Anyone see them in Brighton? similar setlist but with the castle and waitin for a superman. I've not seen them do that one in ages, what a song that is. 

Wonder why they seem to prefer playing How?? over the castle. I much prefer the latter. I much prefer it to there should be unicorns too, but I guess the live performance of unicorn is pretty fun.

I'm still hurting with regret over missing them at glastonbury. Radiohead was a great, accomplished gig, but I know that the flaming lips at glastonbury is something much, much more than that. First time I've missed them since I started going. Saw them in the tent in 99 (was it?), pyramid 03, other 10 and now I missed 17. Can't believe it. I'll never get over it.

23 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Anyone see them in Brighton? similar setlist but with the castle and waitin for a superman. I've not seen them do that one in ages, what a song that is. 

Wonder why they seem to prefer playing How?? over the castle. I much prefer the latter. I much prefer it to there should be unicorns too, but I guess the live performance of unicorn is pretty fun.

I'm still hurting with regret over missing them at glastonbury. Radiohead was a great, accomplished gig, but I know that the flaming lips at glastonbury is something much, much more than that. First time I've missed them since I started going. Saw them in the tent in 99 (was it?), pyramid 03, other 10 and now I missed 17. Can't believe it. I'll never get over it.

Must've been a serious pisser of a clash for you right up until the last moment

17 minutes ago, russycarps said:

It was wonderful and I laughed and I cried. Maybe if Thom had a 'Fuck, Yeah, Glastonbury' inflatable Radiohead would've matched it!

Their first Glastonbury was 2000 (t'internet tells me, I can't remember) in The New Bands tent. It was my first Flaming Lips too. I had no clue who or what they were, had just followed a mate who'd said they were not to be missed. At the end I was belting out 'Somewhere over the Rainbow' and haven't looked back.

34 minutes ago, russycarps said:

If anyone has any sense they'll book them for the 50th anniversary. I'll be there no matter what else is on. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Must've been a serious pisser of a clash for you right up until the last moment

actually on the day it was an easy decision as I was having a wonderful time at the pyramid.

It's these fucking forums that have wrecked my head about it!

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think they played the old NME stage in the early nineties.  1994 or 5, I think.

You're spot on! I wonder what the setlist was? Must have been well ace. Clouds taste metallic heavy. And ronald jones would have still been with them I guess, and steven on drums! 

http://www.concertarchives.org/concerts/glastonbury-festival-1995

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

actually on the day it was an easy decision as I was having a wonderful time at the pyramid.

It's these fucking forums that have wrecked my head about it!

That's the thing though, isn't it. You have to remember you made that choice for a reason and it is (almost) always the right reason at the time. You always miss waaay more than you see.

8 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Have you watched the park performance back?

Yeah, and honestly it doesnt come across that well on the telly.

But I know the reality of the situation.

15 minutes ago, Fishman said:

That's the thing though, isn't it. You have to remember you made that choice for a reason and it is (almost) always the right reason at the time. You always miss waaay more than you see.

Aye I know you're right. Oh well!