Flaming lips

russycarps

Too early to watch it on the iPlayer for me or else I reckon I'll be in bits. Simply mesmerising.

That extended intro into Race may be the finest live music moment I've ever experienced.

And to think that I nearly missed that for a field of people talking over Thom and co?

1 minute ago, Badlands said:

And to think that I nearly missed that for a field of people talking over Thom and co?

To be fair a lot of them were also waving Palestinian flags at Thom and co. 

We met Wayne earlier down the front of Kris Kristofferson. 4 o clock in the afternoon and there he was, dressed as a fucking bright green frog.  The man doesn't have an off switch.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

Too early to watch it on the iPlayer for me or else I reckon I'll be in bits. Simply mesmerising.

That extended intro into Race may be the finest live music moment I've ever experienced.

I'm welling up watching it back, just seeing the joy on everyone's faces.

Race was the best opening to a gig ever!

I couldnt get tickets for GF this year but saw FL in Hull on Saturday night in a smallish venue. Just mindblowing. First time ive seen them live, what a band and what a front man. I need to listen to their stuff now as i wasnt familiar with them before. 

6 hours ago, angelin said:

I couldnt get tickets for GF this year but saw FL in Hull on Saturday night in a smallish venue. Just mindblowing. First time ive seen them live, what a band and what a front man. I need to listen to their stuff now as i wasnt familiar with them before. 

Yup I was there too, see my post a page or so back :)

I have no idea why I haven't got to see The Flaming Lips in the past, but it hasn't happened for one reason or another. Over the years I've read a lot of posters on Efestivals extolling their virtues, so when they were announced to headline The Park it seemed like the perfect opportunity.

My wife and 2 adult daughters arrived at the end of Sleaford Mods and took up a position in the centre and back a bit from the stage. We were almost immediately moved by security as they brought in a van and started constructing the platform that Wayne walked (balled?) across to during Space Oddity. We managed to stand just in front of the barrier around the platform and this proved to be an excellent position as we got to see all the crazy things happening on stage along with the wonderful light show.

We all loved it. What an amazingly uplifting, happy, emotional, joyous experience. It's almost operatic.
I can die a happy guy knowing that I've seen a man riding an illuminated unicorn whist wearing rainbow angel wings.

• Upvote 3

Absolutely nailed it!  Had a great view a bit further back so we could appreciate the lighting a bit more after me struggling to see it the other month in Manchester.  A bit of a shame the great view was marred by a group of absolute tools who would not shut the fuck up!  Who the actual fuck talks about football signings in the middle of a gig?  Wound up moving a bit rather than getting completely pissed off!

Twas an absolutely joyous set.  Watched it back as soon as we got home and blubbed all the way through it

18 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Playing Brighton Dome tomorrow night, too: hmmmmm :lol: (checks piggy bank)

It's an absolute crime this isn't sold out!

My parents went to Radiohead and I was at FL on the front rail (which was great fun but none of Wayne's vocals in the mix we could hear!) 

Anyway, as we were driving home to Sussex they were telling me it was their one regret of the weekend. I couldn't believe it when I looked up their live dates and saw they were in Brighton tonight. 

So they're going, and I'm kinda jealous but equally broken so going to just watch Friday night  back on the telly. 

• Upvote 1

Just watched this set on Iplayer - what a crazy fun happy 90 minutes - just madness, loved it!

I like the idea of blowing most of your pyro / production budget on the 1st song rather than the last, just doing it the wrong way round just for a laugh:lol: My mate turned up at the end of the 1st song and immediately thought he had missed the whole show!

On 24/06/2017 at 1:06 PM, duke88 said:

Quite simply phenomenal. An experience that made me glad to be alive. Welling up just thinking how good that was. Nothing will top that this weekend.

My thoughts exactly. And I don't even consider myself much of a 'fan' of theirs, I knew a few songs and wanted to see them as heard so many great things about their live shows. But I think I'm becoming a little obsessed with them now. 

35 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

My thoughts exactly. And I don't even consider myself much of a 'fan' of theirs, I knew a few songs and wanted to see them as heard so many great things about their live shows. But I think I'm becoming a little obsessed with them now. 

Me too! I've got a couple of their albums and saw them once before about 15 years ago, but definitely not a super fan. Was just blown away by it all and seeing the joy on everyone's faces around me. Just as good watching it on the telly today. Considering Nottingham next month now!