Flaming lips

russycarps

They were definitely one of the highlights of 2010. Would love to see them next year, so long as they don't clash with Radiohead.

Just sad I missed their first or second songs, trying to give Gorillaz a chance.Speaking of which, it looks like they have new material coming out soon, and Damon Albarn has strong connections to the festival. Perhaps another headline set? :(

Edited by pjadnoo

They'd be great as Park headliners or John Peel. I love their live performances but I wonder if they'd headline, just because last time I saw them (a couple of years ago in Brixton) the place seemed half empty. Was that a one-off?

Thinking about it, I suppose there have been plenty of bands over the years who've headlined JP, put on a great show, but come nowhere near filling the tent. FFS a couple of years ago are a good example!

1 minute ago, johnmcga said:

They'd be great as Park headliners or John Peel. I love their live performances but I wonder if they'd headline, just because last time I saw them (a couple of years ago in Brixton) the place seemed half empty. Was that a one-off?

Thinking about it, I suppose there have been plenty of bands over the years who've headlined JP, put on a great show, but come nowhere near filling the tent. FFS a couple of years ago are a good example!

I suspect it's as much to do with the clashes as anything else. They headlined the Other Stage in 2010 and it was absolutely rammed. I suspect though it was as much to do with the mass exodus from Gorillaz, as the quality of the Flaming Lips.

I saw them last week. The soft bulletin is my favorite album ever. I wish they stopped the whole long intro + sing along routine for a bit though. They had been playing many songs from TSB but only had one hour so they cut 3 from their usual set Lists: waiting for Superman, the wand and feeling yourself disintegrate..... I mean... instead they still played a b side from At War... a cover and the observer.  :mellow: These last 3 songs use props so I guess that's why they do them.

I wish they played do you realize with full on drums/bass too.

Hadn't seen that festival in Spain, was already predicting them to come back this year but that ups their chances considerably. Perfect! Got to see them do The Soft Bulletin at Wilderness this year which was absolutely magical, nice change after seeing them do a hits set the year before at Victorious. 'What is the Light' was bloody euphoric. Hoping to go to their Brixton gig but the farm would be absolutely perfect - JP headline for sure.

4 hours ago, Calvin Klein said:

I saw them last week. The soft bulletin is my favorite album ever. I wish they stopped the whole long intro + sing along routine for a bit though. They had been playing many songs from TSB but only had one hour so they cut 3 from their usual set Lists: waiting for Superman, the wand and feeling yourself disintegrate..... I mean... instead they still played a b side from At War... a cover and the observer.  :mellow: These last 3 songs use props so I guess that's why they do them.

I wish they played do you realize with full on drums/bass too.

I'm gutted for you that they dropped disintegrate, the recent version of that is absolutely amazing. The guitar in it is something else.

I also hate the slow down sing along versions of songs they do. I guess it's cool for them to hear the crowd singing back at them but I bet 99.9% of the crowd would rather hear a proper version.

What was the b side?

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

I'm gutted for you that they dropped disintegrate, the recent version of that is absolutely amazing. The guitar in it is something else.

I also hate the slow down sing along versions of songs they do. I guess it's cool for them to hear the crowd singing back at them but I bet 99.9% of the crowd would rather hear a proper version.

What was the b side?

The gold in the mountain of our madness. Wayne puts on a kind of cape with lights and gets on top of a man dressed as a big foot or something. I'm guessing they keep these songs instead of the other ones because of the whole visual show....

Pompeii and What Is the Light were the highlights.

FYD might be my fav flaming lips song. I still have to see it live properly.

In 2011 i went to the soft bulletin show in ally pally. I was super into that song, feeling all emotional...when the chorus kicked in, some drunk idiot starting yelling the "FEEEEELING YOUYSELLLLLLFFFF DISINNNTEGRATEEEEEE!!!" Right into my face. :lol: Completely ruined the moment and the song. 

IMG_2505.PNG

10 minutes ago, Calvin Klein said:

The gold in the mountain of our madness. Wayne puts on a kind of cape with lights and gets on top of a man dressed as a big foot or something. I'm guessing they keep these songs instead of the other ones because of the whole visual show....

Pompeii and What Is the Light were the highlights.

FYD might be my fav flaming lips song. I still have to see it live properly.

In 2011 i went to the soft bulletin show in ally pally. I was super into that song, feeling all emotional...when the chorus kicked in, some drunk idiot starting yelling the "FEEEEELING YOUYSELLLLLLFFFF DISINNNTEGRATEEEEEE!!!" Right into my face. :lol: Completely ruined the moment and the song. 

IMG_2505.PNG

I guess so, shame they kept the cover instead of one of their own songs tho.

Ha I was at the ally pally gig, not guilty of the drunken singing though! The current version has an extended guitar section, it was amazing at brixton in 2014. I see they are opening with race for the prize again too. Last time I saw them it was abandoned hospital ship, which was sensational. And LOUD.

Here's hoping for them at Glastonbury, and all our favourites in the set!

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I can feel that....never got on board with War Pigs though.

Was that war of mystics era? I think when they played London 2 nights, one night was war pigs and bohemian rhapsody on the other night I went to. I loved it!

I have a feeling they have covered paranoid too

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

Race for the Prize is the better tune (one of their best imo) but Abandoned Hospital Ship is the better opener imo. The moment it kicks in and it's loud and the lights come up and there's confetti shooting everywhere is just FUCK, and you know it's gonna be a good gig.

Agreed. Though race for the prize is a pretty damn euphoric opener so I can't really blame them for preferring that

Edited by russycarps