Emily NME interview

shuttlep

23 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

http://www.nme.com/blogs/emily-eavis-glastonbury-2017-q-a-1697208

anyone read this? my ears were pricked when she started talking about a whole new area. 

which area are they getting rid of or have they got more room?

Having not been before and obviously wanting to see as much as possible, I found it brilliant to read that they are trying to solve the whole SE corner congestion situation. (I've spent that much time on here reading everything Glasto, the Mrs probably thinks I've got another woman) 

Is it really as hard to access/get into as many on here have said, or do you basically have to skip a headliner to avoid mad queues?

1 minute ago, Richi1988 said:

Having not been before and obviously wanting to see as much as possible, I found it brilliant to read that they are trying to solve the whole SE corner congestion situation. (I've spent that much time on here reading everything Glasto, the Mrs probably thinks I've got another woman) 

Is it really as hard to access/get into as many on here have said, or do you basically have to skip a headliner to avoid mad queues?

Pretty much, it gets very busy after the headliners. Often you have to queue to get in the corner itself and then queue again for the individual place you want to go in :|

12 minutes ago, Richi1988 said:

Either that or go elsewhere first, the park, Williams green, Arcadia etc then head in about 1:30 / 2.

52 minutes ago, Richi1988 said:

yes it can be a nightmare, even worse if you are normally in the state I am in and if it is muddy. Drier years have been better , faster flowing . and then sometimes you get there and they are not letting anyone in as it is full.

last year for the hot chip does Prince at block nine it was horrendous in there crushing and you couldn't move for the mud. people trying to push past you to get out and you can't move as your wellies are stuck

Personally I thought this year seemed worse than previous years. I can't remember ever having to queue before but definitely had to this year. I think it was partly due to hot chip at block nine being so popular, but also the mud just making everything so much slower. Having said that, we didn't queue for longer than 10 minutes to get into the SE area itself and maybe another 10 for an individual venue which isn't too bad (and this was straight after headliners finished).

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Or watch a headliner on West Holts. Last two years, I've walked straight in after Hot Chip and Underworld on the Friday night.

This.  We strolled in after Hot Chip without queuing at all - it was great.  Ended up in NYC Downlow for a few hours without noticing any queues at all (though the venue itself was pretty full to be fair), by the time we left there the crowds in the SE-corner had started thinning.  That experience will add a little extra weight to the West Holts headliner should I ever have a clash to decide on between a WH headliner and elsewhere.

The queue isn't that bad, I can't have ever waited for more than 15 minutes or so if I've gone in within an hour of the headliners finishing. Normal ritual for us is to all meet up after the headliners, have a drink at the tents, re-gear and head out. 

As mentioned though, there are other great venues. The Beat Hotel and Stonebridge Bar are fairly far away and more often than not have excellent stuff on. The Electronica/Dance Music thread is where you'll want to head for some hints and tips. 

I got into the SE corner Friday, Saturday and Sunday directly after the headliners with no queues at all, just had to have a fast walk.

Went to block 9 most of the time, not sure what shangri la was like after the headliners but didn't have any problems getting in all weekend and was there every night.

I can't see this new area taking much of the attention away from the SE corner judging by how she describes it. Emily mentions a way to "experience watching films and music in a different way" which to me doesn't sound like an area where you can dance the night away. I hope i'm wrong though as the festival really needs something similar elsewhere. I Normally don't have an issue getting into the SE corner but its always far to crowded and this years mud meant i only managed to get in on the Thursday and Friday.

I can only think that they might spread the SW corner out, like they did when the moved Arcadia to its new home?  There's not really many ways in and out of that part of the site, with the hedges etc, so I can't see them opening up more entrances/exits to ease congestion, or they expand the area but keep the infrastructure the same size.  

4 hours ago, Tuna said:

The queue isn't that bad, I can't have ever waited for more than 15 minutes or so if I've gone in within an hour of the headliners finishing. Normal ritual for us is to all meet up after the headliners, have a drink at the tents, re-gear and head out. 

As mentioned though, there are other great venues. The Beat Hotel and Stonebridge Bar are fairly far away and more often than not have excellent stuff on. The Electronica/Dance Music thread is where you'll want to head for some hints and tips. 

I agree with this. If you're desperate to get in the SE Corner between 12-3, go in slightly early and you'll have no trouble. The only problem this year is because they said it was full and shut the enterance off, before shortly realising it was on Shangri La that was full and let people in elsewhere. Generally I head somewhere else then the SE Corner at 3ish, unless there's something I'm desperate to see 

I've never had to skip a full headliner set but if you want to avoid the queues it's good to leave 15-20 minutes before they finish. I've never had to queue to get in doing that. I have encountered queues when I'm there though. I just move on. I'm not wasting any time queuing up.

I didn't go last year but heard the John peel stage had moved - can someone explain its new location to someone who's thick with maps and directions? cheers! usually camp round that end of the site these days so intrigued. 

New area sounds cool. I can't really face the crowds in SE corner so more options are always good.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

21 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I didn't go last year but heard the John peel stage had moved - can someone explain its new location to someone who's thick with maps and directions? cheers! usually camp round that end of the site these days so intrigued. 

New area sounds cool. I can't really face the crowds in SE corner so more options are always good.

it's in the old outdoor cinema field, that was used as (i think) hospitality camping most recently.

It worked brilliantly.  Nice big flat area of ground at the higher end of the site, so no swamp issues like the old location, the woods make a nice connecting path through for a quick route to the Pyramid (you can make JPT to the back of the Pyramid field in 5-10 minutes dependent on ground conditions and foot traffic).

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

I've never had to skip a full headliner set but if you want to avoid the queues it's good to leave 15-20 minutes before they finish. I've never had to queue to get in doing that. I have encountered queues when I'm there though. I just move on. I'm not wasting any time queuing up.

I've always thought this way, but I really quite fancy The Temple after hearing about how much fun it was this year. I might even queue for a bit to in next year.