Off Season Glastonbury

BlackHole2006

My parents have told me that they would love to take me to Worthy Farm when the festival isn't on. So I have a couple of questions.

Where do you enter the site from?

Do you have to ask anyone to use the site or is are you just free to walk wherever you please when the site isn't on?

What are the closes camper van sites to Worthy Farm? Obviously there is the Tor but are there any other local attractions worth checking out that are specifically dog friendly, speaking of which, are there any dog friendly pubs? Also while I'm at it, can I bring my dog to worthy farm?

Okay more than a few questions, but if anyone can answer these then that'd be great. 

Edited by BlackHole2006

Whilst it's not public land I'm sure there are public footpaths across the site, so technically they can't stop you. plus they are used to the odd festival goer paying a visit. I'd suggest a quick curtesy call is polite.

bear in mind it's a working farm so if you are in a field with animals in keep your dog on a lead, and close gates behind you.

its Somerset, every pub is dog friendly, in fact in some pubs dogs outnumber humans

9 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

My parents have told me that they would love to take me to Worthy Farm when the festival isn't on. So I have a couple of questions.

Where do you enter the site from?

Do you have to ask anyone to use the site or is are you just free to walk wherever you please when the site isn't on?

What are the closes camper van sites to Worthy Farm? Obviously there is the Tor but are there any other local attractions worth checking out that are specifically dog friendly, speaking of which, are there any dog friendly pubs? Also while I'm at it, can I bring my dog to worthy farm?

Okay more than a few questions, but if anyone can answer these then that'd be great. 

We always park by the village hall and walk across the football pitch . You are just above the house and the red barns then. 

We stay at a fantastic camping and caravan club site, right under the Tor. There are only 5 pitches and has good showers and is close enough to walk into town.

We walked the site last Easter and its amazing . We emailed the site office to 'ask permission; and got a kind response back with routes/paths through the site - and an ask that you shut the gates/keep gods on leads etc. Its really worth doing

We also climbed the tor , visited the chalice well, Glastonbury abbey , the town and really wandered for a few days - so worth it

On 24/10/2016 at 1:22 PM, Funkyfairy! said:

We walked the site last Easter and its amazing . We emailed the site office to 'ask permission; and got a kind response back with routes/paths through the site - and an ask that you shut the gates/keep gods on leads etc. Its really worth doing

We also climbed the tor , visited the chalice well, Glastonbury abbey , the town and really wandered for a few days - so worth it

Alsays keep you 'god' on a lead, they can get a bit uppety otherwise :D

Wells is as near to the site as glastonbury and worth a visit. 

Cathedral,  vicar's close and bishop's palace are good.   The market place is where they filmed Hot Fuzz. 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186374-Activities-Wells_Somerset_England.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_Cathedral_clock

We went in August before seeing Van Morrison at the Abbey. Emailed first to check OK and got sent a map of the site with paths etc. Was a nice couple of hours. 

We stayed at the Isle of Avalon campsite, right on the edge of town. Ten min walk to the centre. Good rates, facilities etc.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.greenacres-camping.co.uk 

I cannot recommend this campsite enough, it's about a 5 minute drive from the worthy farm entrance, I'm a return visitor year after year and I know they take camper vans too – Mary and Duncan who run the site are VW camper van owners themselves. I tried to access the festival site from the woods near the worthy farm entrance once but just felt I was trespassing the whole time even though I knew there were public paths – my map reading skills are shocking however! It's very surreal (in a great way) to be on the site when its empty. Enjoy :) 

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, Perks said:

@BlackHole2006hello dude, did you manage to get to the farm for a look? I'm looking at going, maybe Easter time. Stay in Glastonbury town, do the Tor and that.

@Funkyfairy!who did you email? Do you have the address? Thanks :-)

I don't but I'll try to find it for you. We went at Easter last year and it was amazing, TOR, chalice well, the Abbey and general mooching. Then on Easter Sunday off for a long walk on the farm, we ate chocolate Easter bunnies sitting on the shell of the pyramid.

If you want somewhere to stay I can highly recomment a 2 room B&B - the Glastonbury White House . Its 5 or so minutes walk from the High Street, the lady that runs it is so lovely, breakfast (vegetarian) is amazing and her whole ethos is great. Its even better if you can take both rooms (eg 4 of you) as then you have the second floor for yourselves (the owner lives on the 3rd floor and the kitchen/diving room is on the ground floor

2 hours ago, Perks said:

Cheers @Funkyfairy! had seen that White House the other day on the net. Will give them a call. Made me really wanna do it now. Gonna try for Easter weekend or sometime in April. I'll report back. Might see you the Pyramid @BlackHole2006

Awesome - good luck and hope you get in the White house. Both rooms are really nice, not en suite but both have their own bathrooms next door to each room. And privacy screens are up at night so you can wander to the bathroom in your pjs and no one would see you (should they also happen to be on the landing. ) .  

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/01/2017 at 10:43 PM, Funkyfairy! said:

Awesome - good luck and hope you get in the White house. Both rooms are really nice, not en suite but both have their own bathrooms next door to each room. And privacy screens are up at night so you can wander to the bathroom in your pjs and no one would see you (should they also happen to be on the landing. ) .  

Hello dude, thanks for the recommendations, booked to go at Easter. We couldn't get in the White House. But booked another b&b pub thing. Well excited. Any idea on how I can get an email address to find out about access to the farm? Cheers. I'll of course report back with photos. Really looking forward to it