Accommodation nearby on tuesday

Jsmooth

Good Moaning All,

I have a dilemma my group are divided a number are keen to go for worthy view pre-erected tents, I am of the opinion that this overly costly and the cons outweigh the benefits, to alleviate the fears people have of not getting a spot I was wondering what the seasoned pros know about getting somewhere nearby whether that be a campsite/caravan or B&B.

Should point out there are 7 of us and would be around 4 modest tents.  

All responses appreciated J

Edited by Jsmooth

what do you mean by not getting a spot? I dont know where this fear has come from, that unless you get pre- booked tents you might not be able to camp anywhere. It's absurd.

Even if you turned up on thursday you would be able to all camp together in a spot that is much closer to the action that any of the offsite options. For free.

Edited by russycarps

7 minutes ago, Jsmooth said:

Really, there were big fears last year that we wouldn't and we got in around 1pm wed and a few friends had saved us one at Park home ground it was a tight squeeze. It's not a fear I've really subscribed to I think the more in demand areas need some early arrival. 

Yes you wont get in the likes of pennards or row mead unless you turn up early, but as has been said, you'll have no problems in the areas slightly further away. And all will be much closer and have a better atmosphere than the offsite options.

How can your group possibly think if they cant have pennards (or whatever) then WV is the next best option? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Edited by russycarps

To be honest I don't think we even considered other spots were all newbies will be our second year, I may be missing the reasons too I think it's based on getting a spot and not having to drive down at 3am as well as having to lug stuff all the way to park home suppose if we choose something nearer the car parking that would make life easier to. I'm fine with walking can't say much about the drive as I don't.

I'm staying at the Bath Arms in Cheddar the Tuesday night (drive down from Aberdeen on the Tuesday during the day) - same as I did this year, decent food/pub and nice and close to festival site - roads from there to the site were pretty much clear all the way on Wednesday morning - despite the chaos happening everywhere else as reported.

13 minutes ago, Jsmooth said:

To be honest I don't think we even considered other spots were all newbies will be our second year, I may be missing the reasons too I think it's based on getting a spot and not having to drive down at 3am as well as having to lug stuff all the way to park home suppose if we choose something nearer the car parking that would make life easier to. I'm fine with walking can't say much about the drive as I don't.

Did you enter via gate D? Because the walk from there to park home is pretty small I'd say....

I'm staying at the Travelodge Tuesday night, on the a37 right by the Yeovilton airbase - a little 20 minute drive on Wednesday morning and we'll be there. Don't know if we're planning on a brekky before we head off and try to avoid some queues, or whether we wake up at stupid o'clock and get all overexcited! At least we won't have four hours of driving to do beforehand though :lol:

edit: camping at michaels mead/webbs ash neck of the woods, which is normally available for pretty much most of Wednesday 

Edited by balti-pie

33 minutes ago, Jsmooth said:

South Park. Park in West Car Park and come in through gate D. South Park will have bags of room all day on Wednesday. Nice spec: 10 mins walk to Park.

16 minutes ago, Alvarhanso said:

I know this wont make much difference but is it better to stay to the north of the site - wookey hole area or, south ie Castle Cary?

depends if you spend most time at the pyramid/john peel or park/west holts really. South is better for the SE corner too.

personally, I've had great festivals staying in both sides. The best place of all is row mead though...my prime years were spent camped there. It's probably shit now like.

Edited by russycarps

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

depends if you spend most time at the pyramid/john peel or park/west holts really. South is better for the SE corner too.

personally, I've had great festivals staying in both sides. The best place of all is row mead though...my prime years were spent camped there. It's probably shit now like.

Thanks for the reply but, I meant in terms of traffic etc. I intend to camp up near john peel/the woods

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

What made row mead so good Russy?  Curious as to what peoples' criteria are.

I've always camped up in Big Ground and to me that's a good camping area for being on the hill, not really a site that people walk through to get anywhere and as quiet as a Glastonbury site gets, and generally space for a wee fire.

24 minutes ago, Charm said:

If anyone is considering booking accommodation for Tuesday I wouldn't leave it much longer, I just about managed to get somewhere after lots of rejections, the main reason given was the solstice celebrations, it's a busy time. 
Charm x

I am looking forward to Wednesday night Thursday morning in the stone circle, it's going to be mental