Isle of Wight Festival 2017

DDave

I've just realised that nearly every act high up the billing is playing another major festival in the south of England; Catfish are playing Community, Bastille are playing Reading, Rag n Bone Man is playing Lovebox

Kaiser Chiefs aren't anywhere in the South but they are headlining Splendour in Nottingham for about £40 and are just in the middle of an arena tour

I can't imagine m/any Catfish or Bastille fans would choose IOW over the other events; Bastille are playing under Kasabian at Reading, at IOW it's under Rod Stewart

Even when they have booked acts who can draw crowds they have done it in such a way that they probably won't

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we get it, it's not for you.

It is for me though, and I'm going. I'll pay extra for boutique camping and quite possibly VIP too.

I hope you enjoy whatever festival you're going to.

This is my 19th year of going to a festival and I always go on what i decide, not pissy people that don't like certain festivals/headlines/acts.

I never passed judgement on any of the bands, I just pointed out that a lot of the acts are also playing elsewhere at events more suited for those acts' demographics

I actually went last year and had a great time, although the undercard is definitely much less substantial than any other festival I've attended, however that gave plenty of time for my mate and I to visit the town during the day which was really pleasant

If you like the look of the line up then I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself, personally I would avoid making any arrangements that aren't refundable but, of course, that's your prerogative

I'm not trying to convince you not to go, that's not really any of my business, I'm just discussing the festival, what with this being a forum and all, it's to be expected

It was really nice to explore the island a little; it definitely made the experience feel more like a weekend break than a festival

The two times I've attended I've been lucky enough to go for free (volunteered the first time, won tickets the other); I don't think I'd ever pay full whack for a ticket but it's got a really relaxed and friendly atmosphere compared to other major festivals, I'd probably go again if I could find a bargain

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, rawaudioinput said:

It's been confirmed that the Hipshaker Lounge will not be returning this year, a right shame considering it's probably one of the few unique aspects of the festival

I get the feeling that the festival is stripping back on other stages/installations a la Bestival last year to cut costs

If it's the place that sound bleeds bass all over the site then good riddance, but it is a shame to see the smaller venues go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went over for Run DMC and Guetta last night. Both were good, the latter was great. You could tell that it was a bit quiet but in no way felt empty.

They had issues with the screens during Run DMC (one was glitchy and the other not working at all) and had them turned off for Guetta but we were close enough for it not to matter. Good crowd and good show 

Krafty Kutz on a tiny little stage in the trees was a good way to spend the night before heading back to the 4am ferry. Rest of the weekend is going to be a write off but worth it.

Edited by Tommy101

• 4 weeks later...