Q Magazine

GrowlerPhil

Apologies for not being Glastonbury related but I feel I need to vent a little. I've been a Q subscriber for 16 years ( Don't Judge me ) I've thought of cancelling my subscription many times in the past due to it's steady decline. However they've taken the biscuit this month. Are the publishers really that hard up that they've had to get in to bed with the evil that is Stubhub?

Not only are Stub Hub sponsoring Best Live Act at the forthcoming Q Awards but they've taken up two pages for a promotional feature in this month's edition. Well that's me done. I'm finished. Well done Q you've lost yourself a customer.

As long as these scalping sites have access to tickets before the public it is a con.

In my opinion ticket shouldn't be able to be put on resale sites within 24 hours tickets being sold, and they should have a maximum resale value of 110% of the face value so fees and costs can be covered. This would create an easy platform for people to resell tickets that they bought 'just in case' or they changed their mind, could no longer attend etc (as it probably was with @ghostdancer1's experience) without creating an opportunity for those with immoral programmes, contacts or corporate partnerships to make a dickload of money and cheating those who can't afford the inflated prices to be outbid from seeing events that they should have every right to attend. 

Apologies for the rant but in my opinion this is the biggest blight on the music industry at the moment.

16 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

As long as these scalping sites have access to tickets before the public it is a con.

In my opinion ticket shouldn't be able to be put on resale sites within 24 hours tickets being sold, and they should have a maximum resale value of 110% of the face value so fees and costs can be covered. This would create an easy platform for people to resell tickets that they bought 'just in case' or they changed their mind, could no longer attend etc (as it probably was with @ghostdancer1's experience) without creating an opportunity for those with immoral programmes, contacts or corporate partnerships to make a dickload of money and cheating those who can't afford the inflated prices to be outbid from seeing events that they should have every right to attend. 

Apologies for the rant but in my opinion this is the biggest blight on the music industry at the moment.

I think this would be a great idea. I'm amazed some Government body hasn't intervened or published recommendations yet.

I finished with it some ten or so years ago (possibly longer) the standard of review went down the pan and reviews were more like someone telling you what was cool to listen to rather than what was good and what wasn't, then they stopped even describing what was on the album.

I suppose I'm probably not in their target demographic.

I aint cool and haven't been for some few millennia...

49 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I agree totally. I'm also of the opinion that these secondary sites have not only fleeced thousands over the last ten years or so but they've also showed promoters and band management how much the general public in some cases are prepared to pay for tickets.  By doing so ticket inflation as steadily increased. The music industry will say it's down to the decline in record sales but I don't buy that argument completely.

1 hour ago, ancient_one said:

Stopped reading Q quite some time ago (unless you count flicking through it in WH Smiths). Won't be starting again any time soon. Face value ticket resale sites are available. All others can burn.

Except that whilst resale prices remain unregulated, they won't burn as the majority of tickets available in the resale market will find their way to Viagogo, Seatwave, StubHub etc. Because even usually morally reasonable people will be tempted to make money if they can, added to the ever growing hoard of unscrupulous bastards whose day to to day existence is maintained purely by buying tickets and making them immediately available for resale at 600% face value <_<

Parliamentary bill proposal a few years ago proposing no greater than 110% face value sale price was duly quashed in the HoC.

Other than tax revenue, there is no possible explanation for why this nefarious practice is allowed to continue and it's a bloody disgrace.

Ben

2 hours ago, GrowlerPhil said:

I think they're all as bad as each other. Scalpers still put tickets on Stubhub for more popular events for silly money. 

Nah some are definitely worse. The ones that are run by the primary ticket sellers are quite a bit more sketchy in allowing touts but people don't boycott the primary company so I dunno.

I do think people are too quick to point the finger at the resale site though when it's a secure service to exchange tickets and, if you're buying at face value or less, that's what the platform is ideally for - it's much easier for people in some places to buy tickets that way than to travel to such a place to pick it up in person.

39 minutes ago, reflekting said:

Hmmm.... Is there any way you can ban certain advertisers from appearing Neil?

Capture.PNG

I wondered if someone would bring that up. :lol:

It's from a different ad-house to my norm, and I've actually asked for it to stop several times, got a response once but am no longer getting responses. Currently mulling over the best route from here, one of which probably involves a big loss. Ho-hum.

I don't get why it's allowed. I mean, I see the argument for it - you want free trade, small government, then there shouldn't be restrictions on resale. Sure.

But then, they passed a law stopping you reselling football tickets, and the world didn't end and it's not there's a mass drive to repeal it. And it's weird we treat one set of tickets different to the rest.

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

It's from a different ad-house to my norm, and I've actually asked for it to stop several times, got a response once but am no longer getting responses. Currently mulling over the best route from here, one of which probably involves a big loss. Ho-hum.

You can take the bastards' money while promoting face-value sites on here, hopefully they get no clicks from efests?

16 hours ago, Muppetmark said:

What's the difference between stubhub and seatwave

well I don't know a huge amount about either, but Stubhub is used massively in the US by sports fans to buy/sell tickets, and for non-sold out events at least you can get tickets for well below face value. it's owned by eBay.

I've only ever seen tickets on Seatwave for way over face value, and TM/Seatwave charge a huge admin fee on the tickets too, and then there's the thing of Ticketmaster diverting tickets straight into the system instead of being put on general sale.

20 hours ago, eFestivals said:

while we're at it, I sometimes get full screen ads on mobile that I can't get away from without deleting the tab. Might have to do something with the new ad-network? 

2 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

well I don't know a huge amount about either, but Stubhub is used massively in the US by sports fans to buy/sell tickets, and for non-sold out events at least you can get tickets for well below face value. it's owned by eBay.

I've only ever seen tickets on Seatwave for way over face value, and TM/Seatwave charge a huge admin fee on the tickets too, and then there's the thing of Ticketmaster diverting tickets straight into the system instead of being put on general sale.

Ticketmaster owns get me in not seatwave I believe.  I've used seatwave to get below face value tickets to muse and green day. But at the end of the day the big three of stubhub/get me in/ Seatwave are as bad as each other

On 19 October 2016 at 10:55 AM, GrowlerPhil said:

Apologies for not being Glastonbury related but I feel I need to vent a little. I've been a Q subscriber for 16 years ( Don't Judge me ) I've thought of cancelling my subscription many times in the past due to it's steady decline. However they've taken the biscuit this month. Are the publishers really that hard up that they've had to get in to bed with the evil that is Stubhub?

Not only are Stub Hub sponsoring Best Live Act at the forthcoming Q Awards but they've taken up two pages for a promotional feature in this month's edition. Well that's me done. I'm finished. Well done Q you've lost yourself a customer.

I wrote a post in my blog a few weeks ago about sites like Stubhub and Seatwave, they take the piss offering guaranteed tickets at inflated prices sometimes 2 days before general sale.

Say what you like about Glastos ticket process but at least its pretty fair.