Caravan setup question

betty liverpool

I am planning to hire a caravan which will be set up by the company on one of the campervan fields for us. It's says on the Glastonbury website this must be in the bath & west camper fields & a free shuttle will be provided to the festival site. Does this mean this field is that far from the site itself - or is it like e25 on the Glasto 2016 map? - thanks 

4 minutes ago, betty liverpool said:

I am planning to hire a caravan which will be set up by the company on one of the campervan fields for us. It's says on the Glastonbury website this must be in the bath & west camper fields & a free shuttle will be provided to the festival site. Does this mean this field is that far from the site itself - or is it like e25 on the Glasto 2016 map? - thanks 

The Bath & West showground is about 5 miles off site. A lot further away than E26 and not shown on the Glastonbury map. This is a new thing for 2017, probably because of all the issues getting in and out of East Campervan fields this year. http://www.bathandwest.com/ 

1 hour ago, betty liverpool said:

Really so we would be getting a bus to and from site every morning and night, that is kind of putting me off - thanks for reply

If I didn't have my own caravan it would put me off too! Likely scenario, board shuttle bus, get to gate A, remember that ticket/pass out is still in caravan, get shuttle bus back, collect ticket/pass out, get shuttle bus to festival. Two hours later......

I've mentioned in a another thread about having previously hired pre pitched Caravans, I'd be pretty annoyed to find out now they had to be pitched in B&W if I'd already arranged it. I get that it's probably to do with the trouble this year with mud and traffic, but the pre-pitched stuff is delivered before all the general punters arrive and stuck in the furthest field and taken away after everyone has left, so not sure what difference it would make if the same thing happened next year. Big American Rvs I can understand, with the size they are it must have been a nightmare getting them in and out of the normal CV fields.

If it were me in your position I'd personally look at cancelling and hiring a self drive campervan. A lot is made of being off site and detached from the festival if you are in the CV fields, I personally don't feel like that, as at least they are next door to the actual festival and it's a pleasant walk in and out every day. I wouldn't fancy being 5 miles away and having to be bussed in and out every day. Getting back from shangri la at 5am and having to get on a bus to get home would be a real mood killer if you ask me!

We have spoken to the lady who hires the caravans she said no every year including last year they go in e25, she said this year is no different,, re- reading the Glasto website it says - any campvans to be delivered will go the B&W field doesn't say campervan/caravan like I'm every other paragraphs,, was looking forward to it being set up when we got there, nervous now ha,,

and I don't fancy the walk from the Shangra la to gate A like 6 in the morning after being out all day.

its either take chance with caravan or worthy view as not arriving until Thursday and don't trust myself renting a campervan 

24 minutes ago, betty liverpool said:

We have spoken to the lady who hires the caravans she said no every year including last year they go in e25, she said this year is no different,, re- reading the Glasto website it says - any campvans to be delivered will go the B&W field doesn't say campervan/caravan like I'm every other paragraphs,, was looking forward to it being set up when we got there, nervous now ha,,

and I don't fancy the walk from the Shangra la to gate A like 6 in the morning after being out all day.

its either take chance with caravan or worthy view as not arriving until Thursday and don't trust myself renting a campervan 

There is no reason that the lady you are renting from would be advised of any changes, you are the customer - not her. Here is the email I received

"Hi Sarah,

Both hired campervans and caravans if being delivered need to be delivered to the Bath and West Showground. Hire and self-drive can go in any of the campervan fields.

Best wishes,

Glastonbury Festival"

I would hate to think that anyone would end up 5 miles off site at B&W Showground.Especially not knowing this was the case as it would be a big downer on the enjoyment of being at Glastonbury IMHO!! 

Edited by StoneCircle

It seems all the pre pitched caravans companies were unaware until now. I always presumed that they had to pay Glastonbury some sort of fee to be able to bring the Caravans in early etc, and essentially operate in the way the do, after all these companies make a hell of a lot of money out of Glastonbury weekend charging a lot more than they otherwise would to hire out an old 80's caravan. That was purely just an assumption on my part but it must have been wrong if Glastonbury are shunting them out to B&W, because it's going to pretty much make that option a non starter for 90% of people now.

I emailed the Glastonbury website it's self just to be sure and got this reply 

Hired campervan/caravans over 8m in length to be delivered to the site, can only be delivered to the Bath & West campervan fields (not East or West). Caravans less than 8m may be delivered to the East campervan fields. Please ensure you book the correct campervan ticket for the length of vehicle you have hired.

so looks like we can stay on the east fields after all - crisis over ha