The world is fu**ed up

Dave_c

1 hour ago, Cheesey said:

Simply existing makes you a sinner in the eyes of the Catholic Church. What a horrible concept to instil in children. It really is absolutely abhorrent.

I remember seeing a documentary involving middle aged adults who were raised by devout catholics, and some of them said they still have nightmares about hell after having the lilteral fear of god put into them at a very young age. It had completely screwed up their mental health.

On a personal level I remember many years ago when my great grandmother was dying, and she was absolutely terrified of judgement. It was pretty awful to see the state she was in.

I had to send my daughter to a Catholic school as the other options in my area were very poor, I felt awful when they started telling her about being a sinner at 7 years old, since then there has been lots of conversations about what a load of rubbish this concept is. 
Charm x

Edited by Charm

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, clarkete said:

I gather that there is some value in it being recorded in the crime stats amongst other things.

We didn't really want the hassle. They'd have just said don't touch anything until we arrive, and that would have meant keeping the shop closed, which wouldn't have been in our interests.

7 hours ago, Charm said:

I had to send my daughter to a Catholic school as the other options in my area were very poor, I felt awful when they started telling her about being a sinner at 7 years old, since then there has been lots of conversations about what a load of rubbish this concept is. 
Charm x

Ditto, unfortunately the Catholic schools tend to be pretty good schools in general, just one of those things

22 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Religion = Poison = The pure manifestation of true Human Kindness.

I don't agree with this equation. Am I meant to?

You are not "meant" to agree with any equation or anything. The Truth is gleaned, slowly, through refutation alone.

11 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

How do you know that this is the case?

It's just something I gleaned. slowly. :lol:

The scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge. To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry is commonly based on empirical or measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning.

Edited by bamber

1 hour ago, bamber said:

It's just something I gleaned. slowly. :lol:

The scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge. To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry is commonly based on empirical or measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning.

I'm not really convinced that human kindness can be 'captured' scientifically. It's too myriad for even the smartest super computer to attempt analysis.

On 20/10/2016 at 1:41 PM, Charm said:

Charm x

Charm - I love the way you put Charm x at the end of every post. Proof if needed that the world is not completely fucked up, Far from it fact, Yet still sometimes I want the world to stop if only to fix it, and listen,.....

47 minutes ago, bamber said:

Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh ehehehe eheheheheheh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello bamber,

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is moderate and 10 is barking, where would you place yourself in terms of consensus lunacy? I only ask because I can't get my bearings myself, and thought I'd stand next to you - if that was alright?

The last part of the above statement has just reminded me of an apparent event that took place in Ireland during the Second World War. Apparently Donegal Council sent in a requisition request to Dublin for more shovels. The response from Central Supplies in Dublin was ' Owing to the war effort and the subsequent demand on supplies we are unable to provide you with the shovels you requested. Until such matters can be rectified, would the good men of Donegal please lean on each other.

I'm not really rambling right now, but do suspect I'm not making too much sense to a lot of people, so I'll just finish it there. Right there. Back there a bit. Oh, fucking hell.

Watched the Louis Theroux movie last night (v good) and this is def worth a watch. It's highlights from a leaked Tom Cruise Scientology promotional video. The subtitles occasionally take the piss (quite funny), but really they're, er, 'explaining' what he's going on about (they use a lot of jargon). He's fucking nuts!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mDw87yZHM3c

26 minutes ago, Homer said:

Watched the Louis Theroux movie last night (v good) and this is def worth a watch. It's highlights from a leaked Tom Cruise Scientology promotional video. The subtitles occasionally take the piss (quite funny), but really they're, er, 'explaining' what he's going on about (they use a lot of jargon). He's fucking nuts!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mDw87yZHM3c

I have no idea what he was babbling on about. Just another form of brainwashing just like religion.

2 hours ago, bamber said:

Charm - I love the way you put Charm x at the end of every post. Proof if needed that the world is not completely fucked up, Far from it fact, Yet still sometimes I want the world to stop if only to fix it, and listen,.....

Thanks b, always trying to spread the love. 
Charm x 

On 20 October 2016 at 1:33 PM, Homer said:

Talk of the devil (ahem), has anyone seen the Louis Theroux Scientology documentary yet? It's on a limited release but I'm planning to seek it out tomorrow night.

I love how some people judge Scientologists and say their sh1t is crazy - but it's only because they turned up recently. Plenty of people accept a man walked on water, rose again, etc - but, you know, that was ages ago and some people apparently wrote it down, which somehow makes it more believable.

I don't follow any religion and I'm from a not that observant Hindu background, but I can't agree with this whatsoever. 

Most religions actually teach plenty of good stuff. It's just the bad shit has been promoted by both those in power willing to exploit those passages to justify their evil together with racists who want to discriminate against them. 

Most religions don't force you to fork out hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars to get to higher levels within it. I guess you could say there was an element of this in the Middle Ages but certainly not the case now.

Most religions are pretty open, even plenty of Mosques you can go inside. They're nowhere near as secretive and shady as Scientology. It's fucking poison designed by horrendous shits to exploit gullible idiots out of money. 

14 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Most religions don't force you to fork out hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars to get to higher levels within it.

The Mormons (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) gets a nice 10% off every 'believer's' salary. That's not a bad little income / scam.

19 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The Mormons (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) gets a nice 10% off every 'believer's' salary. That's not a bad little income / scam.

The Mormons are a lesser shade of crazy though. But nowhere near on the scale of Scientology. And definitely not as sinister. 

I can forgive people in most religions for believing all that crazy shit happened, since it was alleged to have happened 2,000 years ago plus. We really don't have much historical record from those times. Plus between Judaism, Christianity and even Islam there's some common threads, which probably indicate some of the stuff happened in that part of the world, it just wasn't as supernatural or magical as the texts make out. 

But Mormons believe some guy called Joseph Smith found these plates after he was visited by an angel, and those plates just happened to be put there by god, close to New York and just happened to be found in the 1800s. And the Scientologists whole religion is founded by a science fiction writer which is even more nuts. I mean they're all fairy stories ultimately but I wouldn't equate them. 

3 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

The Mormons are a lesser shade of crazy though. But nowhere near on the scale of Scientology. And definitely not as sinister. 

I can forgive people in most religions for believing all that crazy shit happened, since it was alleged to have happened 2,000 years ago plus. We really don't have much historical record from those times. Plus between Judaism, Christianity and even Islam there's some common threads, which probably indicate some of the stuff happened in that part of the world, it just wasn't as supernatural or magical as the texts make out. 

But Mormons believe some guy called Joseph Smith found these plates after he was visited by an angel, and those plates just happened to be put there by god, close to New York and just happened to be found in the 1800s. And the Scientologists whole religion is founded by a science fiction writer which is even more nuts. I mean they're all fairy stories ultimately but I wouldn't equate them. 

Oh, don't get me wrong - I possess only disdain for Scientology. I remember reading an L. Ron Hubbard book in my youth. I was reading the science fiction merrily along and then came to some adverts placed in the middle of the book for Scientology (or Dianetics as it was probably known then). I immediately thought to myself ' fuck you, you c**t L.Ron Hubbard. It's quite juvenile logic but I thought who is this bastard putting in religious overtones, when all I wanted to read about was some plain old fashioned sci fi. The dirty bastard.

On 10/22/2016 at 11:10 AM, arcade fireman said:

Also, only he was allowed to see the plates. And he had to go and hide in his tent to transcribe them. And they conveniently said that he was allowed to to have a couple of spare wives.