Phil Collins comeback after 10year hiatus

Uh-Oh!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

Novak Djokovic is thrilled that Wimbledon takes its middle sunday off so he can head to Worthy Farm for 4pm... (warning - this is absolutely disgraceful by the way)

I want to see Djokovic read from the Philrotica blog interspersed with covers of Phil Collins/Genesis songs. 

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So no love for Huey Lewis and The News?

"Sports" was a good album for the time and if you were my age (early teens)....was far more likely to be listening to that at that time and not the Duran Durans and Culture Clubs of the Smash Hits era then...

8 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

"Sports" was a good album for the time and if you were my age (early teens)....was far more likely to be listening to that at that time and not the Duran Durans and Culture Clubs of the Smash Hits era then...

I started to read this in Patrick Bateman's voice - then got to the end and realised it wasn't an American Psycho quote.

8 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

What? Sussudio is the most annoying song I've ever heard. Honestly drives me mad, makes no sense at all, gets me proper angry. Don't mind the bloke that much, good drummer blah blah blah but I absolutely fucking detest that song.

Makes me think of top of the pops and the bad things that implies.

2 hours ago, Gozpot said:

Phil Collins would be a great booking for the legends slot! Would be a near perfect booking for the legends slot for my first Glastonbury!

Aye, would rather him than Diana Ross. Then again, I bought presale tickets today for the RAH as a precaution against him not showing there.

Also, I just really like Phil Collins and Genesis. Admittedly, like most things. My tastes in music are questionable to say the least. 

Can't stand Trump though. Like most rational people, so at least I'm not too crackers.

2 hours ago, tevaburger said:

I played the complete hell out of my one Huey Lewis and the News album and will fight* anyone who says a bad word against them. 

*look slightly askance

14 hours ago, Untz said:

I started to read this in Patrick Bateman's voice - then got to the end and realised it wasn't an American Psycho quote.

34 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

snap

I now read all Phil Collins posts in Patrick Bateman's voice.

It's also how I conduct my internal monologues.

14 hours ago, Purple aki squat said:

What? Sussudio is the most annoying song I've ever heard. Honestly drives me mad, makes no sense at all, gets me proper angry. Don't mind the bloke that much, good drummer blah blah blah but I absolutely fucking detest that song.

hahaha oh yes!  I think you try to substitute it with profanities but nothing really fits.  I'll be throwing a fax machine if big phil dares to sing it.

On 10/18/2016 at 10:05 PM, Purple aki squat said:

I think sir you mean legendary stick man ....  

Edited by SteveTLizard

15 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Fucking hell. As if this thread wasn't bad enough already and then Sting gets mentioned.

Ill pop back when I have trouble sleeping. :)

Opposite for me, the thought of these c**ts playing (not Glastonbury, just anywhere) enraged me so much that I couldn't sleep.

Pure fucking injustice that these fuckers are living high on the hog while Jeff Lewis, Mark Eitzel, John Murry etc have to scrape and crawl their ways through the lower sewers of the music industry.

On 18/10/2016 at 8:29 PM, Gozpot said:

Phil Collins would be a great booking for the legends slot! Would be a near perfect booking for the legends slot for my first Glastonbury!

Whether great or not I'd still prefer to Diana Ross. She feels like someone I couldn't miss if I was there but not hugely bothered by either.

I'm sure Neil heard something about him at BST/IOW so wouldn't be surprised by IOW.

Edited by thewayiam