Phil Collins comeback after 10year hiatus

Uh-Oh!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would watch him if he played. Always thought Noel was bang out of order with his criticisms about him. That seemed to finish him off. People seem to ridicule him for some reason, He has wrote some timeless classics. He might not be hip or cool but I would like to listen to him perform them tunes.

42 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Anti-sound?

Nailed it, as per, Yog. 

33 minutes ago, Quark said:

How dare you Woffy. No parallel universe has been made better than this one by not having "Thru These Walls" in it.

download.jpg

Quarkles, have you had a taste bypass?

WTF is he even doing in that picture?

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

Quarkles, have you had a taste bypass?

WTF is he even doing in that picture?

Taste has never been my strong point Woffy! I do have a soft spot for the Collins, dad used to listen to him all the time.

However that song in particular is both weird and shite!

Edited by Quark

I think I'd sooner see sets from Tony Banks, or Peter Gabriel, or Mike and the Mechanics.

Shit. I'd love to see eighties Genesis again. (It was Tony Banks' synth lines that I really liked I'm sure). From Duke through to We Can't Dance that band were just phenomenally successful.

And I'm remembering watching an Outcast video and thinking "That's a Phil Collins rip off, that is".

As others have noted he was kind of the go to guy in the eighties for both audio and video production with the occasional superstar guest drummer slot iirc.

I thought he'd retired because his back was knackered?

He should never have agreed to get into that gorilla costume.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

I bought the 12" of Sussudio ( just checked it was 1985 ) from our local record store on the regular Saturday morning trip into town with my mate. Would have been the first 12" I ever bought. For reasons unknown, he took it home and never gave me it back. A twist of fate we still discuss to this day. I reckon it`s been all uphill for me since, music wise. The record store is long gone unlike Phil it seems. I still think Sussudio was a tune but I never got to hear the longer version :)

As you were...... 

Edited by comfortablynumb1910
1985 - where does the time go :-)

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

First Brexit, then Trump, now Phil Collins.  What the fuck is the matter with people?

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

More of a Patrick Bateman fan actually.

Wouldn't surprise me if Trump and Collins each have some genitalia in a locker somewhere with a ribbon tied round it.