Camping on site or E17

Glasto peaches

31 minutes ago, Glasto peaches said:

Is the atmosphere at the camper van fields as good as camping on site?  I'm in a diellema as to where to camp next year.

My friends love the Camper Van area, plenty of friendly people around, a lot more space, perhaps more chilled at night, if that's what you're after! But then it's a longer trek when you want to get somewhere, especially E17...

I've not noticed any difference where I've camped around the normal areas, but I like the silent disco and Arcadia so I normally try and camp near there.

Do you like to stay up all night and party or enjoy the day and have a good sleep? There are pros and cons to both!

Edited by Cornelius_Fudge

Do quite like my sleep (not getting any younger!) our usual spot for camping is Darbles and I love the atmosphere there. Friends have invited us to camp with them next year in E17. I think both are quite a trek back so that's not a problem. It's the atmosphere or lack of I was a bit concerned with as E17 is outside. I guess the thing to do is give it a go init.

Edited by Glasto peaches

I'm actually contemplating it myself this year; getting a good sleep and waking up away from sound tests would be quite nice.

Normally after I leave the tent/campsite area I don't return until late in the morning (unless I've forgotten a warm jumper/bottle of rum or something else important) so the camper van area wouldn't be a bother for me either walk-wise.

The other benefit would be being able to bring as much food/tea/coffee/whatever with me.

Are you hiring a camper yourself or just camping next to your friends' van?

1 hour ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

Normally after I leave the tent/campsite area I don't return until late in the morning (unless I've forgotten a warm jumper/bottle of rum or something else important) so the camper van area wouldn't be a bother for me either walk-wise.

If you do decide on getting a campervan make good use of the lock ups. We leave wellies, raincoats, warm clothes and of course booze there. Nipping back is not always an option as the queues to get back in can be long if you time it badly.

It's an invite from friends who have a camper van. We normally camp in Darbles which I love but is a walk away from every thing so it's not the walk I'm worried about.  I don't want to miss out on anything. So excited to be going again!  It really is the best place ever :)

1 hour ago, StoneCircle said:

If you do decide on getting a campervan make good use of the lock ups. We leave wellies, raincoats, warm clothes and of course booze there. Nipping back is not always an option as the queues to get back in can be long if you time it badly.

Great advice, thanks StoneCircle. I've never used the lock-ups because the tent was always a good option, but this seems like a much better idea than a walk back halfway through the day

You'll find the toilets better in the CV fields, more peace and quiet/less foot traffic at night and there are still vans for chips, bacon sarnies, cups of tea etc. Might be worth it if your pals will let you share some of the amenities of their vehicle. We always make brews for our tent crew when we've been in the van and let them have hot water and space in our fridge for cold beers etc. We always take a camping table in the van and plenty of chairs so we tend to all congregate under the awning for breakfast. Although we have a shower and loo we use them sparingly as queuing for water and emptying the chod bucket can be drag so we have flanel washes instead with a bowl of hot water each.

One thing to beware of though, this year our pals gave us a load of their camping gear an beers and they drove down on Tues nt expecting us to be onsite for Weds teatime. The traffic problems meant we didn't actually get onsite til Thurs midday so they had to spend a night in their car and were exhausted but relieved to see us when we finally arrived. I immediately got busy with the bacon rolls and cuppas and they soon cheered up. 

Edited by Trout Mask Replica

On 10/16/2016 at 1:19 PM, StoneCircle said:

This! We only recently discovered the lock ups. They are great. 

I've only ever camped in the campervan field so can't really comment too much but have been in tents for other festivals. Having said that fwiw the campervan fields are good. Not too far from the action, bit quieter at night (I'd guess), like others have said good bogs etc. Plenty of room too. Certainly had a good time. Not lugging your kit in is also a bonus (mud bath issues excepted (not that it'll rain, of course)).

One slight downside is you have to walk in and out through the gates everyday so there's a bit of queuing. Not too bad but worth mentioning. Plus you could have your bag searched everytime you go in and out, doesn't take long but I suppose it's potentially an issue for some people. 

16 hours ago, semmtexx said:

One slight downside is you have to walk in and out through the gates everyday so there's a bit of queuing. Not too bad but worth mentioning. Plus you could have your bag searched everytime you go in and out, doesn't take long but I suppose it's potentially an issue for some people. 

Nicely put ;) 

9 hours ago, clarkete said:

It's certainly possible that some could find the potential to be searched upon entry each day an *ahem* inconvenience :) 

Specially if they are searching, what was it now, "uncle russys pocket". I think that was the phrase used a little while back...

:blink: