Volunteering at Glastonbury

VTizz

Thanks. This will work for me - I don't like being horribly drunk (or out of it on anything else) anymore anyway, but I do enjoy having the odd drink just to loosen up a little.

I'd completely expect to be required to be coherent, and if any public facing role you need to be in control of your emotions, especially if dealing with the occasional stroppy punter. It doesn't do to end up shouting back at them!

As long as I can have a couple of beers as I watch stuff earlier in the day when I'm on a late shift, I don't see a problem. I just wouldn't want to spend the entire festival completely sober as a judge because my shift timings never gave me a day that was all mine!

For an overnight shift I'd properly straighten out way ahead of it or I'd end up asleep on my feet!

Another problem for me is that my glaucoma can make me look a bit pissed when I'm not - it gives me a slightly glazed look, especially with my contact lenses. The number of times Someone has said 'Blimey! How many have you had? When I have just taken a couple of sips  of my first pint, is frightening! I'd probably have to make sure I was breathalysable tbf!

27 minutes ago, amfy said:

Thanks. This will work for me - I don't like being horribly drunk (or out of it on anything else) anymore anyway, but I do enjoy having the odd drink just to loosen up a little.

I'd completely expect to be required to be coherent, and if any public facing role you need to be in control of your emotions, especially if dealing with the occasional stroppy punter. It doesn't do to end up shouting back at them!

As long as I can have a couple of beers as I watch stuff earlier in the day when I'm on a late shift, I don't see a problem. I just wouldn't want to spend the entire festival completely sober as a judge because my shift timings never gave me a day that was all mine!

For an overnight shift I'd properly straighten out way ahead of it or I'd end up asleep on my feet!

Another problem for me is that my glaucoma can make me look a bit pissed when I'm not - it gives me a slightly glazed look, especially with my contact lenses. The number of times Someone has said 'Blimey! How many have you had? When I have just taken a couple of sips  of my first pint, is frightening! I'd probably have to make sure I was breathalysable tbf!

the answer is very simple - just make up a letter in advance - does not have to be from your Doctor just ' please be aware I suffer from glaucoma etc etc ' - if you ever get pulled up just show the letter ' - at least with a letter they cant claim your making it up on the spot.

I carry a letter but for a different reason - I have a Cancer controlling implant and that makes me overheat under certain circumstances - this could fool a Paramedic if I blacked out { which will happen if don't cool down quickly } so to save time  I have this letter so they know its a side effect of the treatment - its only happened once at a festival and I could feel it about to come on so I raced out and jumped in the fridge truck { making sure they knew I was in there } and that was enough to prevent me blacking out. 

1 hour ago, yeovilwire said:

Hi all just wondering if anyone has done any work with the medical services at Glastonbury before. Im looking at doing a support role either transport or logistics as this is my day to day job any info or help is much appreciated

If you have medical, paramedic or first aid qualifications, you can apply to join Dr Chris Howes’ team of volunteers by completing the application on the website 

https://festival-medical.org/

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2017 at 8:45 AM, nu-marc88 said:

Hi all,

I've been accepted for the litter picking crew for a charity this year, really looking forward to it. After going to the festival as a punter for over 10 years I thought it was time I gave something back.

My shifts are Fri - Mon 6am to 12 at the Other Stage. I just have a few questions for anyone who has done it before.

What's the drill on Friday mornings, do we get to finish early? Or do we go and help other teams out around the site? As the festival hasn't properly started their will be less rubbish at the other stage than Sat - Mon.

My last shift finishes at midday on Monday but I've been told we are not able to leave the site till 3pm does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance.

@nu-marc88

Sorry I know you posted this a while ago

Of the 5 years that I have done litter picking I have done the 6am shift 3 times- and was always on West Holts so that filed was open from the start of the festival (Brothers Bar etc.) so always had litter to pick.

As regarding finishing early- depends really- once your area is done your team leader will radio in and see where else needs help and you will go there until your shift ends (sometimes you might finish a wee bit earlier but just depends).  I've ended up helping in Pyramid, Other and Naught Corner- just depends where the biggest amount of litter is.   

Never heard about the not leaving until 3pm rule- maybe trying to manage traffic leaving site?